RSS

Matt
 Matt
(@matt)
Practitioner Admin
11273 Brass
Challenges:
29/06/2019 1:47 pm  

I'm putting the challenge up here a couple of days early so you guys can start preparing.

The 30 for 30 Challenge

Last month we focused on marksmanship, now we pivot to fitness. The challenge is simple. Ruck for 30 miles within 30 days with 30 lbs.

How you approach the challenge is up to you. You can ruck for one mile per day for 30 days, 5 miles per day over 6 days, or do all 30 miles in a single day. How you split it up determines which badge you earn for the challenge.

To complete the challenge (Level 1 - black badge), you must carry 30 lbs for 30 miles within 30 days. As long as you demonstrate completion of all miles within a 30 day period, then you get the badge.

To reach Level 2 - Blue badge, then you must complete the challenge in less than 10 sessions. That means you're going to have to do at least three miles per session. That's totally doable, and you may choose to start at lower mileage and build up to more as it goes on.

To reach Level 3 - Gold badge, then you must complete the challenge in three or fewer sessions. You could split this up into a once-per-week 10-mile session. This is doable if you've already got tough feet and are accustomed to rucking a bit. I DO NOT suggest attempting this level if you're new to this.

The Rules

There is no pace requirement for this challenge. While I encourage you to target a 15 minute per mile pace (i.e. an average of 4 mph), that is not the point of this challenge. Simply cover the distance.

As with all challenges, you need to provide proof of completion. There are several free applications for phones to help you with this. At the end of a session, take a screenshot of the results including the distance covered and the date.

If your results photos total the required distance of 30 miles within any 30-day period, then you have completed the challenge.

Here's an example of a ruck session result from my Garmin app, notice the date and distance covered. Those are the most important elements here.

If you don’t already have something to help you keep track, here are some free suggestions:

• Runkeeper (Android, iOS)
  • Runtastic (Android, iOS)
  • Strava (Android, iOS)
  • Map My Run or Map my Hike (Android, iOS)
  • Geo Tracker (Android)

Tuesday's post will have some additional tips, including how to build an inexpensive rucking weight using some bricks and duct tape. I look forward to everyone's results!

"Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

Jayclimber and Jerry liked
Jayclimber
(@jayclimber)
Member Member
275 Brass
30/06/2019 7:53 am  

I'm in!

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."
--Samuel Adams

ReplyQuote
Jerry
(@rto-jerry)
Engaged Member Community Founder
1001 Brass
Challenges:
30/06/2019 8:12 am  

All in, hoo-ah!!!

ReplyQuote
xsquidgator
(@xsquidgator)
Member Member
1208 Brass
Challenges:
30/06/2019 5:31 pm  

Yeah, in!  I did 4 miles today with the 30# pack (14 minute miles) and it was Work.

Aw nuts, it's not July yet! 😀

Good challenge though!  I'm on vacation out of town for a week or so the later part of the month, and am looking forward to bringing my pack so I can knock out some mileage towards this goal.

ReplyQuote
Pete
 Pete
(@pete)
1110 Brass
Challenges:
30/06/2019 6:18 pm  

Since I live in Alaska, could I count the weight of my .44 magnum revolver in the 30 pounds? I wear it in a chest holster for bear defense.

"It is an enormous simplification to speak of the American mind. Every American has his own mind." -Ludwig von Mises (Theory and History)
"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert A. Heinlein (The Moon is a Harsh Mistress)
"Those who are in love with practice without knowledge are like the sailor who gets into a ship without rudder or compass and who never can be certain [where] he is going. Practice must always be founded on sound theory." -Leonardo da Vinci (#19 Of the Mistakes made By Those Who Practice Without Knowledge)

ReplyQuote
Matt
 Matt
(@matt)
Practitioner Admin
11273 Brass
Challenges:
30/06/2019 7:08 pm  
Posted by: Pete

Since I live in Alaska, could I count the weight of my .44 magnum revolver in the 30 pounds? I wear it in a chest holster for bear defense.

Oh, good question. For this challenge, no. The 30 lbs only includes the weight carried in the pack and not any other ancillary equipment. I am making allowances for weighted vests, though.

ReplyQuote
Sunshine Shooter
(@sunshine-shooter)
Engaged Member Author
2553 Brass
Challenges: emergency shelter challenge level 1
01/07/2019 3:38 pm  

Do weighted runs on a treadmill count?

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement"

progunmillennial.wordpress.com

ReplyQuote
Matt
 Matt
(@matt)
Practitioner Admin
11273 Brass
Challenges:
01/07/2019 8:07 pm  
Posted by: Sunshine Shooter

Do weighted runs on a treadmill count?

Sure, if that's all you have access to then it will have to do. I'd at least put the incline to 1%, though

ReplyQuote
Robby
(@robby)
Passerby Member
122 Brass
02/07/2019 3:45 pm  

A great challenge.

Someday. That’s a dangerous word. It’s really just a code for ‘never’.

ReplyQuote
Matt
 Matt
(@matt)
Practitioner Admin
11273 Brass
Challenges:
20/07/2019 7:52 am  

For Scoring

Well, I finished this one up today. You can find the ongoing posts over in the challenge training board here.

Session Breakdown

1. July 1st 2019, 4 miles
  2. July 3rd 2019, 3 miles (7 total)
  3. July 7th 2019, 4 miles (11 total)
  4. July 9th 2019, 3 miles (14 total)
  5. July 12th 2019, 3 miles (17 total)
  6. July 14th 2019, 5 miles (22 total)
  7. July 16th 2019, 2 miles (24 total)
  8. July 18th 2019, 3 miles (27 total)
  9. July 20th 2019, 3 miles (30 total)

That totals out to 30 miles completed in 9 sessions spread over 20 days. That qualifies for the Level 2 badge (yay!)

Here are the pictures for each session

Discussion

I'm not gonna lie, this challenge was harder than I expected it to be. There were a lot of times that I was dreading getting out of bed to hit the road. By the last bit, my shins were in a lot of pain for the first mile or so before they numbed up. I also made this one a little harder by introducing the challenge in July, and we've been dealing with a pretty nasty heat wave lately. The weather for it was certainly a lot more difficult than when I was training for a GoRuck back in the winter.

Maintaining motivation definitely proved to be a challenge.

As far as any lessons learned go, I can't really say there's anything new. I already knew rucking is a good challenge and it takes a lot of effort, especially if you want to maintain a good pace. Good footwear and socks are key, and my trusty Darn Tough socks continue to be amazing for this sort of thing.

In the end, I'm glad I'm done with this one for now. It's been dominating my exercise schedule, and I'm looking forward to returning to the gym and my rowing machine for the daily workouts.

Jerry liked
ReplyQuote
Jerry
(@rto-jerry)
1001 Brass
Challenges:
26/07/2019 12:45 pm  

Date| Miles| Min/Mi

2-Jul | 1.4  | 16:35
4-Jul | 2.7 | 17:15
6-Jul | 3.09 | 15:02
8-Jul | 3.13 | 14:50
9-Jul | 2.01 | 15:09
10-Jul |3.15  |14:51
11-Jul | 4.2 | 15:24
13-Jul | 2 | 14:39
14-Jul | 2 | 15:10
15-Jul | 2.05 | 15:57
19-Jul |2.01 | 16:32
20-Jul | 2 | 15:46
21-Jul | 1.87 | 15:33

Total Miles: 31.61

Avg. Time: 15:35

Comments:

Discovered to be not so good in humid weather with 30 pounds strapped to my back. Really thought of you guys who live in the southern sector of United States especially on days with 70 plus to 80 plus % humidity. Perhaps it is all of the subzero snow shoe treks which have "thickened my blood" or perhaps it is age but I lose fluids rapidly in any amount of humidity these days. This factor reduced majority of walks to shorter distances then initially intended. Other than that I really enjoyed the challenge and will revisit once again in the fall months. The rucking took me back in memory to service road marches. Our HQ battalion hiked full pack/full gear on Friday's up to the Hohenstauffen castle and back (approx. round trip 12 miles) when in garrison. God I loved SFC. Basso!!

In the fall  months will revert to carrying 20-24 lbs. It serves much better a day pack load for to handle in varying terrain. I just move far better with the lighter load, no doubt about that. That lighter weight happens to be my day pack load for snow shoe treks, hunting upland ruffed grouse and still hunting whitetail deer, so am really used to carrying that weight.

Really liked the spirit of camaraderie from the forum members participating. To all THANKS!!!  The collective sense and spirit of mission is the one thing I miss the most being a civilian. Work missions do not compare, civilian life does not compare, there is far too much "me in we" in the IT world I am currently living in. So for me July was truly rewarding challenge experience in far more ways than expected going in.

ReplyQuote
Pete
 Pete
(@pete)
1110 Brass
Challenges:
31/07/2019 11:36 pm  

Done! 30.07 miles over 9 sessions in less that 30 days.
Here is my training log : https://www.everydaymarksman.co/community/tips-and-how-tos/i-want-to-ruck-you-like-an-animal-petes-rucking-30-for-30/

Here are summaries:

"It is an enormous simplification to speak of the American mind. Every American has his own mind." -Ludwig von Mises (Theory and History)
"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert A. Heinlein (The Moon is a Harsh Mistress)
"Those who are in love with practice without knowledge are like the sailor who gets into a ship without rudder or compass and who never can be certain [where] he is going. Practice must always be founded on sound theory." -Leonardo da Vinci (#19 Of the Mistakes made By Those Who Practice Without Knowledge)

ReplyQuote
Jerry
(@rto-jerry)
1001 Brass
Challenges:
05/11/2019 5:53 am  

Still cranking out the miles albeit with a lighter 25 pound pack.

26.75 miles logged this past week. Should be as many the next 2 weeks with whitetail rifle season due to start on Saturday

November 9th. It is very easy to walk this time of year with high temps now in the mid to upper 30's. Believe we are in for one tough winter, the cold is about 3 weeks ahead of schedule.

Hope you all are keeping to an active regimen.

This post was modified 1 month ago by Jerry

ReplyQuote

Your Support Matters

The Everyday Marksman uses Ko-Fi to help fund our activities. If you like what you get here, then we'd appreciate your support. Supporting the site includes several perks you can't get anywhere else.
Buy a Round

\\\ Latest Articles

Thank you for coming by The Everyday Marksman. This site and its community are a labor of love. I hope you stick around for a while, and maybe even join us.

-Matt

\\\ Participate

COPYRIGHT © The Everyday Marksman

Adventure Awaits

+ Newsletter
+ New Content Alerts
+ Deals and Sales

Subscribe now

Let's Stay Connected

We can't Wait to Show You More

Please Login or Register