RSS

Matt
 Matt
(@matt)
Practitioner Admin
9679 Brass
Challenges:
01/06/2019 9:39 pm  

Welcome to the very first Marksman Challenge for the month of June 2019.

This challenge is all about the fundamentals of rifle marksmanship. To complete this challenge, you will need a rifle, a 25-yard range, and a single box of 20 rounds.

The target has twenty 1-inch circles divided into four rows.

You can download the target by clicking on the photo or using this link: Download the Target

I sized the target to fit on a single sheet of 8.5x11 printer paper, so you can print as many as you want.

The Rules

This challenge is performed by firing one shot at each circle. You will utilize each of the main rifle positions for this challenge. You may use a shooting sling for this challenge, but you may not rest the rifle on any other fixed object for support.

• The first row is fired from the standing position. You may use any variant of the standing that you wish, but you will probably have the most success with the erect or target standing positions.
  • Shoot each dot in the second row from the kneeling or squatting position
  • Shoot the third row from the sitting position
  • The last row is shot from the prone position

A hit counts if the outer edge of the white portion of the circle is torn. It does not count if your shot falls outside the black and just barely tears the outer black line. You must tear the inner white circle. There is no time limit for this challenge. Practice your fundamentals and develop your natural point of aim.

Scoring

To submit your target for scoring, you must take a photo of the completed target along with the rifle you used to shoot it. Post it as a reply in this topic (the one you're reading right now).

Level 1

You receive the Level 1 challenge badge if you place a shot in 15 of the 20 circles. The combination of which circles you hit does not matter. So, theoretically, you could miss every standing shot but hit every other circle and still complete the challenge.

Level 2

The Level 2 badge for superior performance is awarded if you hit 18 of the 20 circles, with at least three hits in the standing position row.

Level 3

You will earn the Level 3 Master badge if you clean the target with 20 out of 20 circles hit.

Background

I chose 4 MOA because it is a commonly used standard in the marksmanship training world. In old marksmanship tests, a 20" silhouette at 500 yards was the accepted standard of performance. At 100 yards, the target would be about 4 inches wide, and at 25 yards it equates to one inch. This test focuses purely on the fundamental mechanics of marksmanship and ignores external factors like wind and drop.

Good luck!

Remember, only use this thread to post your final targets for scoring. You are welcome to post a journal and discuss "how-tos" or questions in the Training Log, Tips, and How-Tos forum.

"Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

MTxW and Jerry liked
Akm295
(@akm295)
Member Member
288 Brass
20/07/2019 11:03 am  

My final score for the June 2019 challenge. 14/20 was my personal best. Blue circles denote standing position misses.

This post was modified 2 months ago by Akm295

ReplyQuote

Thank you for coming by The Everyday Marksman. This site and its community are a labor of love. I hope you stick around for a while, and maybe even join us.

-Matt

\\\ Participate

COPYRIGHT © The Everyday Marksman

Adventure Awaits

+ Newsletter
+ New Content Alerts
+ Deals and Sales

Subscribe now

Let's Stay Connected

We can't Wait to Show You More

Please Login or Register