The Everyday Marksman

Community Hub

Something Amazing is Coming

The Everyday Marksman forum launched nearly a year ago. In that time, we’ve learned a lot about one another and running a small tightknit community. Now it’s time for the next evolution, a brand new place for you to connect with other marksmen just like you online and in the real world. It’s almost ready, and it’s going to be an invitation-only affair. But now is your chance to get on the waiting list and get invited the day the doors open up.

I can’t wait to show you more.

\\\ The Forum

JustinC's Survival Fire Challenge  

RSS

JustinC
(@justinc)
Member Subject Matter Expert
700 Brass
Challenges:
10/01/2020 4:32 pm  

I finally got around to doing the survival fire challenge as my first EDM Challenge!

Tools:

- Becker BK10 (edited - for some reason I previously put BK16)
- Firesteel
- 1 cotton ball (more on this in a moment)
- Homemade pot support from a 28 oz. tomato can
- MSR Stowaway pot

I started out attempting to go for Level II. Major lesson learned: starting a fire with sparks is harder than I thought. I've been to SERE school, I heat with wood, I've been an avid camper and backpacker...in my own opinion, I know a thing or two about building a fire. I got seriously humbled on this one, though.

I gave myself an hour to complete the challenge. I started with a fallen pine branch. I cut down into it and made a whole bunch of very fine shavings and scrapings. This took a lot - probably 30 minutes - of my self-allotted time. Then I started sparking. I sparked so much that my right ring finger kept contacting the board I was using as a fire surface and bloodied my knuckle. I got tantalizingly close - a couple times I had a small flame, but couldn't keep it going long enough to get anything else going. Very frustrating. At the 50 minute mark I gave in and grabbed a plain, uncoated cotton ball. With all my natural tinder piled on top, I sparked the spread-out cotton ball and had a fire in about 30 seconds.

Keeping the fire going in my too-small pot support was a challenge. It took at least 10 minutes to get water to a boil, and I had to keep topping the fire off with twigs.

Scoring: As badly as I hate to admit "defeat" (really, this isn't a defeat, it's a HUGE learning point that those guys on Alone that build a fire every day with a ferro rod make it look easy because they have done it a lot...and I haven't), this is a level 1 survival fire on account of using the cotton ball.

Aaaand now I'm to the bottom of this and realize I don't actually know how to insert a photo into a post. Little help? Thanks, Hamrad!

This topic was modified 2 weeks ago by JustinC

hamrad
(@hamrad)
Member Member
372 Brass
10/01/2020 4:54 pm  

Nice job! This is something I will be trying in the near future.

As far as sharing pics, there is no upload feature on the site so you will need to use a third party sharing site such as “Imgur” (what I use). Just upload your pics there and then out the link to it anywhere in your post. It’ll just show up after that.

check me out on IG @2alpha_engineer

ReplyQuote
Matt
 Matt
(@matt)
Hardened Member Admin
11872 Brass
Challenges:
10/01/2020 9:43 pm  

Great job!

The survival guys who do stuff like Alone just make it look so simple.

"Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

ReplyQuote

\\\ Latest Articles

Support
The Everyday Marksman
The Everyday Marksman is entirely funded by readers like you. We don't rely on ads, sponsors, or any other outside influence to run things. For the price of a box of ammo, you can help keep the lights on and the content flowing.

Buy a Round

Your Support Matters

The Everyday Marksman uses Ko-Fi to help fund our activities. If you like what you get here, then we'd appreciate your support. Supporting the site includes several perks you can't get anywhere else.
Buy a Round

\\\ Latest Articles

Thank you for coming by The Everyday Marksman. This site and its community are a labor of love. I hope you stick around for a while, and maybe even join us.

-Matt

\\\ Participate

COPYRIGHT © The Everyday Marksman

Adventure Awaits

+ Newsletter
+ New Content Alerts
+ Deals and Sales

Subscribe now

Let's Stay Connected

We can't Wait to Show You More

Please Login or Register