RSS

Matt
 Matt
(@matt)
Practitioner Admin
11318 Brass
Challenges:
30/07/2019 8:59 am  

Official rules here: https://www.everydaymarksman.co/marksmanship/minuteman-marksman/

Good luck, guys!

"Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

Jerry
(@rto-jerry)
Engaged Member Community Founder
1002 Brass
Challenges:
10/08/2019 8:51 am  

Took the plunge on the MM Challenge Tuesday August 6th.

Shot the challenge using A2 iron sights using loop sling at a time of 47:01 seconds.

The A2 is a mil-spec with exception of the 20" Criterion NM 1/8 barrel

I worked the target bottom to top and lost points due to complete target "wash out" on the base bull.

Missed the 6 o'clock hold and is shows on target. dropped much needed points and ended up 16 of 20.

Will definitely shoot it again, it was a fun challenge!

This post was modified 4 months ago 3 times by Jerry

ReplyQuote
xsquidgator
(@xsquidgator)
Member Member
1208 Brass
Challenges:
11/08/2019 2:15 pm  

Good challenge!

Disclosure- I've been an instructor in Project Appleseed since 2014 and this type of challenge is very similar to and within the scope of what a Rifleman (per the Appleseed AQT test of 210/250 points) should be able to do, on-demand.

I'm rustier than I should be and *sort of but not really* got it on my first attempt, as I was over time.  I dropped at least one shot on the following two attempts and finally got it again on try #4 with a time of 50 seconds.

All shots fired from prone using loop sling and an AR-15 with Burris MTAC 1-6x LPVO scope.  I normally keep that rifle/scope zero'd with a 100m zero per the scope's instructions, which if you do it that way lets you use the BDC out to 500 or 600 m.  But, it shoots low at less than 100m range and at 25m it's about 1.5 inches low.  Previously when shooting at 25m on this kind of course of fire (e.g. shooting an Appleseed AQT at 25m) I'd just use the 400m reticle on the BDC which is that amount.  I think it's interesting that the Appleseed AQT, which is known for it's demanding pace of taking the shots, is actually a little slower-paced than this challenge.  The fastest-pace stage on the Appleseed AQT is 10 rounds in 55 seconds, whereas this challenge is 20 rounds in 60 seconds, obviously a more challenging pace.

On this challenge, the time limits are achievable but not very forgiving and I discovered it was taking me too long to line up the 400m dot on the BDC for each shot.  So, I changed it back to a 25 m zero (up 6 MOA or 12 clicks for this scope) and shot attempts #3 and #4 using the larger center dot which is still precise enough for this and is much faster than trying to count a couple of dots down each time.

Other keys to completing this challenge are being able to place your natural point of aim on each target, shooting in rifleman's cadence (part of the Appleseed instruction if anyone's interested), and being able to efficiently change NPOA from one target to another.

A gamer thing I tried that helped me was to shoot the 400m (the smallest) first, then the 300, 200 and 100.  This lets you speed up the pace of the shots as you get closer to the end and the 100m target looks positively huge and easy to hit by the end, which may give you a speed boost to get in under the 1 minute limit.

THis post- attempt #4.  I know the 300m target looks like only three holes but I swear, it's five and I marked it with a (5).

This post was modified 4 months ago 2 times by xsquidgator

ReplyQuote
xsquidgator
(@xsquidgator)
Member Member
1208 Brass
Challenges:
11/08/2019 2:16 pm  

Tries 1-4 on the 25 yd range

ReplyQuote
xsquidgator
(@xsquidgator)
Member Member
1208 Brass
Challenges:
11/08/2019 2:17 pm  

Rifle used: AR-15 with Burris MTAC LPVO

ReplyQuote
Matt
 Matt
(@matt)
Practitioner Admin
11318 Brass
Challenges:
11/08/2019 2:24 pm  

@xsquidgator

Well done!

ReplyQuote
Diceman624
(@diceman624)
Engaged Member Author
1873 Brass
20/08/2019 6:27 pm  

I gave this my attempt today, using my M16A4 semi-clone.  I originally attempted to do it with irons first, but went over time.  My last shot timed over 71 seconds, largely due to my losing count during the middle two circles.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/xkXxoVanhPVYsuNaA

I shot the large circle standing, and was three shots remaining when my shot timer timed out.  As you can see, I missed the second circle completely, and only scored 12 hits.

Unsatisfied, I slapped my ACOG back on and tried again.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/LKey4TczPCC9eedt8

This effort yielded hits in all circles, but as before, I dropped a few off the bottom edge of the target for a total of 14 hits in 47.64 seconds.

Takeaways:

-Optics are a force multiplier, which this crowd already knows

-Clearly my once-a-month shooting trip is either insufficient or I'm not utilizing my sessions effectively

-Having done both essentially cold, I could've benefited from more practice before going for record

So, no badge this go around, but at least I finally did it.

Internet reputations may be one thing, but cold hard data is another.

ReplyQuote
Jerry
(@rto-jerry)
1002 Brass
Challenges:
23/08/2019 9:15 am  

@diceman624

Glad to see another entrant!! Good on you sir to get out and run the challenge.

Indeed, shooting this course of fire cold has its challenges to be sure. Did lowest bull wash out for you using irons? It was impossible for me to pick up a 6 o'clock hold and "guestimating" resulted in lost hits to be sure. Afternoon peak sun on the 25- 300 yard range was a bear. Next go round I may just try early AM shooting at our 50 yard pistol range to hopefully mitigate the wash out problem.

ReplyQuote
Jerry
(@rto-jerry)
1002 Brass
Challenges:
23/08/2019 9:16 am  

@xsquidgator

Outstanding work! Well earned badge!!

ReplyQuote
Diceman624
(@diceman624)
Engaged Member Author
1873 Brass
23/08/2019 9:27 am  

@rto-jerry

Actually, I lost the middle two bulls with irons, and in the midst of the confusion, also lost count on how many I fired into those.  I'm almost certain, in retrospect, one of them got only 4 shots, because i know the top got six.  What got me with irons on the low bullseye was the fact I dropped at least three off the bottom end of the target.  In the photo, you can just barely make out two of them to the low left.  Yes, I shot buttom up on both runs.

This post was modified 4 months ago by Diceman624

Internet reputations may be one thing, but cold hard data is another.

ReplyQuote
Akm295
(@akm295)
Engaged Member Member
1005 Brass
Challenges:
05/12/2019 3:26 pm  

Finally! On my 5th run at the range today I completed the Level 1 version of this challenge. I went back to engaging the bottom target and working my way up. I had a few 17-19 out of 2o runs this morning. I took a break and I shot a few practice targets the same size as the smallest challenge target since that was where I was dropping rounds. My 5th run followed that session and success!

I shot this with my S&W M&P15 Magpul Edition. I threw on MFT Minimalist, a Larue MBT 2S, and an MOE SL Mid hand guard. The optic is a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x on a Weaver SPR mount. Sling is a Magpul SL1. The drill was shot with 55gr PMC Bronze FMJBT. My shot timer was the free Make Ready! Lite for the iPhone.

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

This post was modified 1 week ago by Akm295

ReplyQuote
Matt
 Matt
(@matt)
Practitioner Admin
11318 Brass
Challenges:
05/12/2019 9:04 pm  

@akm295

Well done!

ReplyQuote

Your Support Matters

The Everyday Marksman uses Ko-Fi to help fund our activities. If you like what you get here, then we'd appreciate your support. Supporting the site includes several perks you can't get anywhere else.
Buy a Round

\\\ Latest Articles

Thank you for coming by The Everyday Marksman. This site and its community are a labor of love. I hope you stick around for a while, and maybe even join us.

-Matt

\\\ Participate

COPYRIGHT © The Everyday Marksman

Adventure Awaits

+ Newsletter
+ New Content Alerts
+ Deals and Sales

Subscribe now

Let's Stay Connected

We can't Wait to Show You More

Please Login or Register