Page 2 / 2
  RSS

Sunshine Shooter
(@sunshine-shooter)
Engaged Member Author
1269 Brass
16/07/2019 10:18 pm  

@bdover

Be prepared for your light to die.  It probably won't, but it might and you don't want to be completely screwed if it dies.

I wouldn't worry about cleaning the lens between strings of fire.  Clean it well the day before and you'll be fine.  Maybe a touch up halfway through if you start to notice it getting dim.

Don't expect tritium sights to be of much help, if any.  Any light from your WML or handheld will completely wash out the tiny radioactive glow tritium sights put out (it's been my experience). Fiber optic sights may or may not be more helpful than just a normal 3-dot setup depending on if the front of the sight allows much forward light in.

Other than that, go in with an open mind.  Expect to be taken by surprise by something, if not a lot of things.  Good luck!

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement"

progunmillennial.wordpress.com

BDover liked
ReplyQuote
BDover
(@bdover)
Engaged Member Author
1270 Brass
17/07/2019 8:40 am  

@nick_

Thanks!  I didn't think of that.  I'll have to try that out in the basement tonight.

ReplyQuote
Matt
 Matt
(@matt)
Practitioner Admin
9231 Brass
Challenges:
17/07/2019 8:58 am  
Posted by: @bdover

UPDATE

Got onto the GoRuck pistol class & night pistol class this weekend.  Any tips, tricks, or things I should be prepared for when shooting at night?

Also, sights.  Ive got a few glocks to pick from.  19 & 17, have ones with fiber and ones with tritium.   Either have an advantage in low/no light?

Lights, taking an x300, tlr7, and an early gen tlr1.  Also taking a bunch of handhelds.   Anything to be aware of with lights?   Good ways to clean lenses occasionally between runs?

Coming back for this reply. I used to think "Night sight all the things!" but have been shifting lately. I'm slowly heading towards blacked out rear sights and a quality/durable fiber optic front sight. As Sunshine Shooter said, when it's tark and the liglht is on, then you really only see the outline of the front sight anyway. For daylight, the front fiber optic would be easier to pick up than the traditional three-dot night site. I think the only real issue holding me back from committing is that I don't know how well id like a bright front FO sight in combination with a possible MRDS down the line.

"Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

BDover liked
ReplyQuote
BDover
(@bdover)
Engaged Member Author
1270 Brass
17/07/2019 10:07 am  

@sunshine-shooter

Thanks for the advice.  I'm taking a few lights with me so hopefully I'll have something that works by the end.  I fully expect for this class to be a shock.  With that being said I need to dig out my gopro for the night firing & try to get cool footage.

ReplyQuote
BDover
(@bdover)
Engaged Member Author
1270 Brass
17/07/2019 11:01 am  

@matt

I’m taking 2 pistols with tritium and 2 with fibers.   The fiber front is so much smaller than the tritium that I have a feeling it may be easier to align the sights when the light is on either way I’ll probably post up some sort of AAR next week if I don’t melt from being at the range all day sat.

ReplyQuote
BDover
(@bdover)
Engaged Member Author
1270 Brass
22/07/2019 2:32 pm  

So I did the GoRuck Active shooter intervention & the night fire course this weekend.

Overall good class, the daytime class was good, really forced me to make sure I focused on the sights & trigger control.  A big thing they stressed was 100 % first hit guarantee.   I enjoyed the day class, but really didn't find anything earth shattering about the instruction other than some tweaks to things I do already (shooting wise).   They also discussed mindset which was something I never really thought about, it really boiled down to situational awareness.

For the night class we only had 6 students & 2 instructors; it was awesome.  We did a number of drills highlighting how to utilize weapon lights, position, etc.  I realized that holding a light in your non dominant hand at the same height as  holding your pistol strong hand only gave you a nasty glare of the rear sight/slide.    Also, doing everything in the dark was definitely harder, but way more fun.

All in all, if you can ever do a night match/course I'd say go for it.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2

Thank you for coming by The Everyday Marksman. This site and its community are a labor of love. I hope you stick around for a while, and maybe even join us.

-Matt

\\\ Participate

COPYRIGHT © The Everyday Marksman

Adventure Awaits

+ Newsletter
+ New Content Alerts
+ Deals and Sales

Subscribe now

Let's Stay Connected

We can't Wait to Show You More

Working

Please Login or Register