The Everyday Marksman

Community Hub

\\\ The Forum

Checking Time: What...

Checking Time: What do you have on your wrist?  

RSS

Matt
 Matt
(@matt)
Practitioner Admin
9231 Brass
Challenges:
29/07/2019 6:46 am  

I'm an unabashed fan of wristwatches. Even though they are less a necessity these days when everyone has an extremely accurate clock built into your phone, there's just something classic I've always enjoyed having something to glance at when needed. As I start planning more content about EDC, I'm curious as to what you guys use or wear.

I've been through the gamut, from automatic mechanical field watches to smartwatches that sync with my phone. I'll post a writeup soon, but let's get the conversation started.

What's on your wrist?

"Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

Diceman624
(@diceman624)
Engaged Member Author
1408 Brass
29/07/2019 12:20 pm  

My go-to for probably the last ten years has been the Timex Expedition series; specifically those models with dual time zones and both the analog and digital displays.  There's something classic about seeing the watch hands move.  As a career aviator, I like having the option of keeping a watch mode where I can easily switch from local to Zulu time.  I'm looking now for the watch I'm going to replace my current Expdition with, but it's getting difficult to find the dual time zone feature.  I will probably go full analog watch face on the next one, too.  I also use a FitBit CHarge 2 for fitness tracking.

Internet reputations may be one thing, but cold hard data is another.

Pete liked
ReplyQuote
Pete
 Pete
(@pete)
Member Community Founder
700 Brass
Challenges:
29/07/2019 4:49 pm  

Like @Diceman624, I like Timex Expedition watches. Since I work in an environment where smart watches are verboten, I only wear them at work. Now my smart phone is like a pocket watch. Taking it out of my pocket to check the time has become my new habit. It was a weird transition since I regularly wore a wristwatch 23.5/7 for almost 40 years. That constant wear is hard on watchbands. I typically would replace the band 2-3 times before replacing the watch.

ReplyQuote
BDover
(@bdover)
Engaged Member Author
1270 Brass
31/07/2019 10:38 am  

Gshock Gulfmaster.  Love the analog/digital watch style, batter life of 2.5 yrs.  Waterproof & the LED light in it works great for getting around your house in the dark.  Next watch is going to be a Citizen diver watch.  Love the idea of a no battery watch that would be water proof & durable.

ETA: the gshock atomic time keeping watches are a crap shoot.  I've had some that were great, and some that couldn't go 2 weeks without needing adjusted or sent back to the factory.

This post was modified 3 weeks ago by BDover

ReplyQuote
Matt
 Matt
(@matt)
Practitioner Admin
9231 Brass
Challenges:
31/07/2019 1:14 pm  
Posted by: @bdover

Gshock Gulfmaster.  Love the analog/digital watch style, batter life of 2.5 yrs.  Waterproof & the LED light in it works great for getting around your house in the dark.  Next watch is going to be a Citizen diver watch.  Love the idea of a no battery watch that would be water proof & durable.

ETA: the gshock atomic time keeping watches are a crap shoot.  I've had some that were great, and some that couldn't go 2 weeks without needing adjusted or sent back to the factory.

I wore one of the G-Shock tough solar models for years, and it's still going strong. It was my everyday watch until I left the .mil and switched back to something more corporate looking. I'm surprised to hear they had issues. I was going to suggest it to @diceman264 as an option for dual timezones since that's exactly what I did with it. I kept the analog hands on local time and the digital readout on GMT.

My most recent watch, and the one I'm wearing the most at the moment is a Citizen Promaster Diver with the solar Eco-Drive.

ReplyQuote
BDover
(@bdover)
Engaged Member Author
1270 Brass
31/07/2019 1:44 pm  

@matt

My Gshock atomic solar was great until it wasn't, about 2 months after the warranty expired (1 year warranty).   I had to send it back to Casio 4 times to fix the chip that controls the time keeping with the atomic signal.   I paid for the first repair, took 5 weeks.  2 weeks after I got it back it crapped out again, sent it back on their dime, they fixed it, got it back, worked 2 weeks, broke again.  Sent it back again.   This happened a few times over a few months.  Soured me on the whole atomic time keeping thing.  I got them to upgrade me to an analog/digital one that I wanted.  If they offered a solar powered watch that I could manually set I'd get on board with that.   I eventually picked up the Sieko dive watch, was good, but having to constantly adjust the hands was a hassle.  Also, you need to wear it 12ish hours a day it seemed to keep it working when you woke up in the morning.

My next watch will be the Citizen you have.  Any complaints on it?  Are you using the factory rubber strap or a NATO strap?

ReplyQuote
Matt
 Matt
(@matt)
Practitioner Admin
9231 Brass
Challenges:
31/07/2019 3:55 pm  

@bdover

I picked up the newer model, BN0191 with the blue face. It came with a steel bracelet, which I thought worked better for my office environment (software consulting industry). I do plan on picking up a second strap for it, though, and I was leaning towards something like the elasticized parachute webbing ones like the French MN style from Erika's Originals.

ReplyQuote
Cutright
(@cutright)
Member Community Founder
284 Brass
04/08/2019 12:26 pm  

I prefer simple but classic watch faces in materials I don't have to babysit. I like things to look nice and respectable, even if they're covered in grease and grime.

The WWII auto's are really nice and I've yet to pick one up. I like that they're medium in size, as too large of a watch face gets the glass broken. And, I might add, I prefer the softer crystal because it's far less likely to break than the sapphire crystals that don't scratch but crack on impact.

I usually rock an old stainless bodies Fossil Architect series or a G-Shock Pathfinder that's solar powered.

IF ANYONE HAS A WWII'ish field watch and would like to trade/sell it, please let me know. Hamilton made the original but any quality manufacturer has my attention.

ReplyQuote
Matt
 Matt
(@matt)
Practitioner Admin
9231 Brass
Challenges:
04/08/2019 2:20 pm  
Posted by: @cutright

I prefer simple but classic watch faces in materials I don't have to babysit. I like things to look nice and respectable, even if they're covered in grease and grime.

The WWII auto's are really nice and I've yet to pick one up. I like that they're medium in size, as too large of a watch face gets the glass broken. And, I might add, I prefer the softer crystal because it's far less likely to break than the sapphire crystals that don't scratch but crack on impact.

I usually rock an old stainless bodies Fossil Architect series or a G-Shock Pathfinder that's solar powered.

IF ANYONE HAS A WWII'ish field watch and would like to trade/sell it, please let me know. Hamilton made the original but any quality manufacturer has my attention.

It's not for sale, and is in dire need of a tune-up, but I've really enjoyed my Hamilton field watch.

It's a King Khaki Auto, and was a promotion gift a long while back. Great watch, though I might question it for hard use because of its relatively shallow water resistance rating.

ReplyQuote
Sunshine Shooter
(@sunshine-shooter)
Engaged Member Author
1269 Brass
04/08/2019 5:18 pm  

My wrist sports a Timex Werkender that I've had for the better part of a decade.  Probably the best ~$35 I'll ever spend.  Its had 5 or 6 new wristbands and is scratched all to heck, but I cannot get it to stop ticking.  I've tried replacing it a handful of times, but every other watch always has something about it that drives me back to the weekender.

I believe that wristwatches are not only still relevant in 2019, but superior to using your phone.  You know what your phone is?  A touch screen pocket watch.  You know what made the pocket watch obsolete?  Wrist watches.  Using your phone to check the time is technologically inferior to a watch.

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement"

progunmillennial.wordpress.com

ReplyQuote

Thank you for coming by The Everyday Marksman. This site and its community are a labor of love. I hope you stick around for a while, and maybe even join us.

-Matt

\\\ Participate

COPYRIGHT © The Everyday Marksman

Adventure Awaits

+ Newsletter
+ New Content Alerts
+ Deals and Sales

Subscribe now

Let's Stay Connected

We can't Wait to Show You More

Working

Please Login or Register