Micro 'budgetish' r...

Micro 'budgetish' red dot  

RSS

BDover
(@bdover)
Engaged Member Author
1394 Brass
13/05/2019 3:15 pm  

Need some help from everyone here.  I'm looking for a red dot.  Not like an Aimpoint Comp M4s, I had one of those & it was waaay to big.    I'm looking for something along the lines of the Vortex Sparc AR or Crossfire.   My budget is limited to $250 and it would be used primarily on my AR pistol (12.5" with FSB).   Anyone have experiencing with both of those or other small red dots?  I'm open to other budgetish options, I just don't have anything else and don't have the money to buy a bunch just to try out.

Use: 3 gun, run n gun, range use.  Maybe HD.

Thanks for the help!

Topic Tags
Sunshine Shooter
(@sunshine-shooter)
Engaged Member Author
2106 Brass
Challenges: emergency shelter challenge level 1
13/05/2019 6:14 pm  

Honestly?  Check out the Holosun website.  The stuff they make isn't quite Aimpoint-levels of durability, but they're plenty durable for anyone not under threat of IED explosions or falling out of a helicopter.  Actually, they may be that durable, but at half the cost I wouldn't be surprised if they're not.  3 gun, 2-gun, run n gun, even for home defense I'd trust Holosun.

They make dots in the old larger size, the modern micro size, and even an RMR-sized option.

Holosun can be found on Amazon or Optics Planet, or any number of other online retailers.

I hope you find this helpful.

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement"

progunmillennial.wordpress.com

ReplyQuote
BDover
(@bdover)
Engaged Member Author
1394 Brass
14/05/2019 11:15 am  

It is.  Its exactly what I needed to hear.  I've seen other companies (like Holosun & PA) out there, but can't seem to find a good write up on them.   Right now I just need something I can beat around a little and probably drop occasionally.   Right now I run primarily Daniel Defense fixed irons or troy flip ups but want something a little faster.

ReplyQuote
Sunshine Shooter
(@sunshine-shooter)
Engaged Member Author
2106 Brass
16/05/2019 11:47 am  

Sounds like Holosun is what you need.  All but the most snobbish of snobs will admit that Holosuns are more than adequate for everything but LEO/military work.

This is a picture Steve Fisher of Sentinel Concepts posted of some Nighthawks he's teaching classes with.  One has an RMR on it and the other is the Holosun 507C.  These guns are in the neighborhood of 3 to 5 grand each, and get shot a lot, so the optics he puts on them means something.

I'll add, in case you care, I've had a holosun for about 3 years and it's been issue free.  I don't run my guns super hard, so I don't know how much that really matters to you, but I'm not talking about something of which I have zero personal experience.

This post was modified 6 months ago by Sunshine Shooter

ReplyQuote
BDover
(@bdover)
Engaged Member Author
1394 Brass
21/05/2019 3:55 pm  

Thanks!   I did follow him when I still had instagram (but then I realized the time I was wasting on instagram that would be better spent somewhere else).   If he uses it then its good enough for me.    I'll probably roll the dice on a HS503R.  Only concern I have is their customer support/warranty .   I saw on the website that they only do a 3 year warranty; thats the only point that has me holding off on getting that vs. the Vortex Crossfire.  I may just wait until Independence Day and buy whatever is cheaper.    Unless the trijicon MRO gets real cheap, then thats what I'm getting.

I know at this point that getting an Aimpoint isn't worth it, I just want something that is worth my hard earned 'fun money'.  Also, you have  a solid blog, I really enjoyed reading your reviews of gear that worked.

ReplyQuote
Sunshine Shooter
(@sunshine-shooter)
Engaged Member Author
2106 Brass
22/05/2019 11:36 am  

Thanks for reading!

The Vortex warranty is a real benefit, especially when dealing with stuff that might actually need it.  Waiting for a sale might be the only smart way to choose 🙂

ReplyQuote
BDover
(@bdover)
Engaged Member Author
1394 Brass
22/05/2019 12:35 pm  

I see what you did there.   Well played good sir.

ReplyQuote
Beo
 Beo
(@beo)
Passerby Community Founder
102 Brass
25/05/2019 2:11 pm  

I ended up with a Vortex Sparc AR. For me it was between that or the Holosun 403B. What brought be over to the Vortex was the warranty and compared to the Holosun it felt just a bit more rugged. I also like that it takes a AAA battery.

ReplyQuote
BDover
(@bdover)
Engaged Member Author
1394 Brass
25/05/2019 2:24 pm  

That’s on my list still.  I also like it for the warranty & aaa battery.  That being said as Sunshine Shooter pointed out the holosuns are a solid option too for the price.

ReplyQuote
Beo
 Beo
(@beo)
Passerby Community Founder
102 Brass
27/05/2019 6:34 pm  

Yeah, you can't really go wrong with either from what I've read. As a heads up, the Vortex Sparc AR is on sale right now on Palmetto State Armory for $130 w/ the code "sparc"

ReplyQuote
DarkLordOfOptics
(@darklordofoptics)
Member Community Founder
273 Brass
24/09/2019 5:35 pm  

I know I am months late, but I'll add a couple of comments.  There are a couple of OEMs in China that make all these sights, so I would not be surprised is Sparc AR and similar looking Holosun are made right next to each other.  Both seem to work quite well.  There are several others, of course.

How is that Sparc AR working for you?  I took one to a Frontsight class a year or so ago and liked it.

ILya

www.darklordofoptics.com

“A harmless man is not a good man. A good man is a very dangerous man who has that under voluntary control.” -Jordan Peterson

ReplyQuote

Thank you for coming by The Everyday Marksman. This site and its community are a labor of love. I hope you stick around for a while, and maybe even join us.

-Matt

\\\ Participate

COPYRIGHT © The Everyday Marksman

Adventure Awaits

+ Newsletter
+ New Content Alerts
+ Deals and Sales

Subscribe now

Let's Stay Connected

We can't Wait to Show You More

Please Login or Register