The Everyday Marksman

Community Hub

\\\ The Forum

Preferred Carry Met...

How do you prefer to carry the majority of the time? Poll is created on Jun 06, 2019

Preferred Carry Methods  

RSS

Matt
 Matt
(@matt)
Practitioner Admin
10137 Brass
Challenges:
06/06/2019 8:38 pm  

This is really out of curiosity more than anything. There are no wrong answers here, as I know everyone has different circumstances. I'm wondering how members of our community choose to carry the majority of the time.

What do I mean by that? There's a running joke about winter being nice because it means carrying the largest pistol you own in an OWB holster under a jacket. So I'm not really referring to what you do for each season of the year, but what you do 80% of the time.

For me, it's AIWB. I've dabbled with IWB on the hip, but I don't think it conceals as well for me unless I'm wearing a jacket or something on top.

"Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

BDover
(@bdover)
Engaged Member Author
1394 Brass
07/06/2019 6:07 pm  

Appendix 10 months a year with a g19.   I go strong side owb in winter when I have a hoodie or jacket on that covers it.

I’m not a huge guy and I can’t iwb at the hip without a decent amount of printing.   In a Midwest winter all bets are off. I could almost hide a cz scorpion with a bulky winter jacket.

ReplyQuote
Matt
 Matt
(@matt)
Practitioner Admin
10137 Brass
Challenges:
07/06/2019 8:17 pm  

I hadn't really considered it, but a decent OWB holster for the hip might help convince me to carry there more often, provided I was wearing a light jacket or something.

ReplyQuote
BDover
(@bdover)
Engaged Member Author
1394 Brass
07/06/2019 8:31 pm  

It’s not bad; definitely a cooler weather option though.   For my cz I’ve used JM custom.  For the glocks it’s a raven phantom if I’ve got a light attached.   If no light then a Raven Perun.

I played with appendix in winter but 2 things really made me dislike it.  1) if I was outside for any duration the slide got cold, and a cold slide down the front on my pants is not comfortable.  I found myself messing with the pistol far too much.  2) drawing it from concealment was a bit of a mess due to how I prefer to dress.  It was slow and awkward with more layers to get something caught on.

ReplyQuote
Dunross
(@dunross)
Passerby Community Founder
382 Brass
11/06/2019 2:24 pm  

With me it has everything to do with the season of the year, weather, social setting, and the ramifications of "being made."

Florida doesn't get much cool/cold weather so coats are generally right out.  Even light jackets are questionable.

I could wear my shirt untucked, but anyone who knows me might find it curious as it's not my normal daily way of dressing.

There's also the question of what consequences, if any, there are to my weapon being spotted whether from my shirt riding up or the piece printing through my clothes.  For some folks the consequences could be embarrassing to say the least.

Chance favors the prepared mind.

ReplyQuote
BDover
(@bdover)
Engaged Member Author
1394 Brass
13/06/2019 7:19 am  

@dunross

I totally understand where you're coming from.  Untucked shirts/jackets for me are the norm in the Midwest (outside of summer).   My social circle is mostly limited to guys that carry; my wife's friends are different matter.    Genuinely curious as to what you carry/how.  Seems like you have pretty limited options unless you would normally be in a sport coat /blazer?

ReplyQuote
Matt
 Matt
(@matt)
Practitioner Admin
10137 Brass
Challenges:
13/06/2019 7:35 am  
Posted by: BDover

@dunross

I totally understand where you're coming from.  Untucked shirts/jackets for me are the norm in the Midwest (outside of summer).   My social circle is mostly limited to guys that carry; my wife's friends are different matter.    Genuinely curious as to what you carry/how.  Seems like you have pretty limited options unless you would normally be in a sport coat /blazer?

Not Dunross, but I can relate.

I work in the tech sector on a team that falls under our consulting division. That means my day-t0-day is professional to semi-professional, with well-tailored tucked in shirts and pants. There isn't really room for an IWB. That said, it's a decent argument for ankle carry, but I don't own anything conducive to that. I could go OWB, but that would mean wearing a jacket year-round, which isn't practical in NOVA.

I have more leeway on weekends, though.

ReplyQuote
Jayclimber
(@jayclimber)
Member Member
275 Brass
21/06/2019 7:52 am  

My job doesnt allow concealed carry so I do the best I can by carrying in my EDC bag. On weekends or out and about I carry OWB at about the 4 o'clock position. This conceals best for me and is a natural reach and draw. I'll then carry a spare mag in a pocket holder in my left pocket.

I get to spend a lot of time camping and hiking (general woods time) so then my preferred carry is usually a chest rig, like a HPG heavy recon bag.

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."
--Samuel Adams

Jerry liked
ReplyQuote

Thank you for coming by The Everyday Marksman. This site and its community are a labor of love. I hope you stick around for a while, and maybe even join us.

-Matt

\\\ Participate

COPYRIGHT © The Everyday Marksman

Adventure Awaits

+ Newsletter
+ New Content Alerts
+ Deals and Sales

Subscribe now

Let's Stay Connected

We can't Wait to Show You More

Please Login or Register