The Everyday Marksman

Community Hub

Something Amazing is Coming

The Everyday Marksman forum launched nearly a year ago. In that time, we’ve learned a lot about one another and running a small tightknit community. Now it’s time for the next evolution, a brand new place for you to connect with other marksmen just like you online and in the real world. It’s almost ready, and it’s going to be an invitation-only affair. But now is your chance to get on the waiting list and get invited the day the doors open up.

I can’t wait to show you more.

\\\ The Forum

Project Gungnir Upd...

Project Gungnir Update  

RSS

Matt
 Matt
(@matt)
Hardened Member Admin
11874 Brass
Challenges:
11/12/2019 4:14 pm  

Rather than making a thing out of it, I thought I'd share some updates on the precision rifle project. I've been going back and forth in the behind-the-scenes channels on the topic, but now the direction is set.

On the advice of ILya, the Dark Lord of Optics, I purchased a Stiner P4xi 4-16x56 scope. It's a first focal plane optic with mil-hash reticle instead of the tree style that's grown a lot in popularity. The big bonus to me was that it collects a lot of light, and ILya pointed out that it's one of the brightest and clearest at the price point. Seeing as I got a great deal on it, I couldn't walk away.

I'm going to use the rifle and optic as part of an overall precision-rifle training path. When you read articles about what the pros use during PRS matches, it's pretty well dominated by scopes topping out in the 25x to 30x range. So why do something that tops out at 16x?

Well, to start, I'm not one of the pros and I simply can't afford what they use. Secondly, my reading on the topic is that most matches really take place between 12x and 15x because of the field of view. The high magnifications are much more useful for load development or other special circumstances. It's more like a "nice to have and not use rather than need and not have."

The goal for me was not the highest magnification I could afford, but something that will remain reliable, mechanically sound, and not hinder me from growing along this path.

The rifle itself is still at the gunsmith getting inlet and bedded.

My plan is to attend a precision rifle class in either March or June of next year, depending on funds available after doing a pistol shooting course in February. If anyone is in the area, you're welcome to join me.

"Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

\\\ Latest Articles

Support
The Everyday Marksman
The Everyday Marksman is entirely funded by readers like you. We don't rely on ads, sponsors, or any other outside influence to run things. For the price of a box of ammo, you can help keep the lights on and the content flowing.

Buy a Round

Your Support Matters

The Everyday Marksman uses Ko-Fi to help fund our activities. If you like what you get here, then we'd appreciate your support. Supporting the site includes several perks you can't get anywhere else.
Buy a Round

\\\ Latest Articles

Thank you for coming by The Everyday Marksman. This site and its community are a labor of love. I hope you stick around for a while, and maybe even join us.

-Matt

\\\ Participate

COPYRIGHT © The Everyday Marksman

Adventure Awaits

+ Newsletter
+ New Content Alerts
+ Deals and Sales

Subscribe now

Let's Stay Connected

We can't Wait to Show You More

Please Login or Register