Random Thoughts on BUIS  

RSS

Akm295
(@akm295)
Engaged Member Member
1005 Brass
Challenges:
18/11/2019 10:21 am  

So I was scrolling though Reddit and noticed a lot of hate on BUIS, especially those that are covered up by the eyepiece of a scope. The prevailing thought on keeping BUIS primarily seems to be related to the in field failure of an optic. The other prevailing thought (ala InRange's WWSD Project) is that they are wholly unnecessary given the reliability of modern optics.

My $.02 on keeping them around doesn't seem to come up much. I simply prefer to always have a ready to go sighting system on my rifle. I've never wanted to be in a situation where if I changed out an optic or tinker with a scope that the rifle would essentially be down until I could rezero at the range. With BUIS the rifle is always ready even of my preferred optic isn't. My decision to keep them is driven by piece of mind that doesn't cost much or add much weight to the rifle.

Just some food for thought.

Cutright liked
Pete
 Pete
(@pete)
Engaged Member Community Founder
1113 Brass
Challenges:
18/11/2019 11:15 am  

Currently BUIS is the only sights on my rifle due to optical sight/mount failure. I used them for one 2-gun competition where they worked great. They did what they needed to do. Some other competitors made comments about me using iron sights and everyone else using optics. I hit the 6 inch steel at 150 yards in one shot. So, in my opinion they are worth keeping.

"It is an enormous simplification to speak of the American mind. Every American has his own mind." -Ludwig von Mises (Theory and History)
"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert A. Heinlein (The Moon is a Harsh Mistress)
"Those who are in love with practice without knowledge are like the sailor who gets into a ship without rudder or compass and who never can be certain [where] he is going. Practice must always be founded on sound theory." -Leonardo da Vinci (#19 Of the Mistakes made By Those Who Practice Without Knowledge)

Cutright liked
ReplyQuote
Cutright
(@cutright)
Member Community Founder
855 Brass
Challenges: emergency shelter challenge level 1
19/11/2019 7:29 pm  

Every single trainer I spent time with had them. Every single one of them trained with redundancies too. I will probably never need them, but I'm happy I have them. Maybe it's just feel good mojo, but at the cost of a few ounces I get another complete sighting system. I also prefer a fixed front sight. Some folks complain about it and I thought it would bother me at first, but after that first time under a little pressure I naturally focused on the target and everything fell into place. It doesn't interfere with my 1-8 optic at any power and it certainly doesn't bother me with a red dot.

Also, I really like setting up my irons and using them to co-witness a red dot when sighting the red dot in. It saves ammo for sure.

ReplyQuote
Matt
 Matt
(@matt)
Practitioner Admin
11318 Brass
Challenges:
19/11/2019 9:59 pm  

I look at it as an added capability. Given the choice, I would always prefer to have backups available for "just in case." But I'm also not tore up about it if I have to remove them to get proper eye relief on a particular optic, like my Elcan or a 4x ACOG. Both of those have to get mounted far enough on the top rail that a BUIS isn't going to work out, at least not a traditional one.

I'm also with Mark in that I've come to prefer fixed front sight bases that are taper pinned to the barrel.

"Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

Cutright liked
ReplyQuote
Pete
 Pete
(@pete)
Engaged Member Community Founder
1113 Brass
Challenges:
20/11/2019 11:20 am  

One other point, the chances of needing back up sights is astronomically higher than needing to use the stupid forward assist on an AR.

"It is an enormous simplification to speak of the American mind. Every American has his own mind." -Ludwig von Mises (Theory and History)
"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert A. Heinlein (The Moon is a Harsh Mistress)
"Those who are in love with practice without knowledge are like the sailor who gets into a ship without rudder or compass and who never can be certain [where] he is going. Practice must always be founded on sound theory." -Leonardo da Vinci (#19 Of the Mistakes made By Those Who Practice Without Knowledge)

Cutright liked
ReplyQuote
Sunshine Shooter
(@sunshine-shooter)
Engaged Member Author
2558 Brass
Challenges: emergency shelter challenge level 1
25/11/2019 1:57 pm  

I personally find them to be unnecessary.  I think they have a place as a way to ensure a mount hasn't failed, or give a rough zero to an optic you don't have time to properly zero.

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement"

progunmillennial.wordpress.com

ReplyQuote
xsquidgator
(@xsquidgator)
Member Member
1208 Brass
Challenges:
03/12/2019 9:28 am  

I like having BUIS and don't consider a new purchase complete until it has them.

Modern optics are more robust than they've ever been but... I just had a 10 year old ACOG suddenly fog up on the inside.  On the only rifle I had that didn't have BUIS.  That rifle has no sights at all now, until the scope comes back.  It would have been nice to have spent the extra $100 and at least have put some plastic Magpul BUIS on there.

I like having BUIS but understand that not everyone does.

This post was modified 2 weeks ago by xsquidgator

ReplyQuote
Diceman624
(@diceman624)
Engaged Member Author
1876 Brass
03/12/2019 10:01 am  

Here's my philosophy: things can break, battle damage happens, sights help you engage and optics help you identify.  I don't often swap optics around my rifles, but I've been known to change mounts.  Nor can I afford to put optics on every single weapon that requires one.  Since I get to the range so infrequently these days (having a toddler can do that), I need a built in redundancy, which means retaining BUIS to keep at least one weapon employable (I've been known to have multiple weapons requiring a re-zero since I messed with all of their optics).

This post was modified 2 weeks ago by Diceman624

Internet reputations may be one thing, but cold hard data is another.

Pete liked
ReplyQuote

Your Support Matters

The Everyday Marksman uses Ko-Fi to help fund our activities. If you like what you get here, then we'd appreciate your support. Supporting the site includes several perks you can't get anywhere else.
Buy a Round

\\\ Latest Articles

Thank you for coming by The Everyday Marksman. This site and its community are a labor of love. I hope you stick around for a while, and maybe even join us.

-Matt

\\\ Participate

COPYRIGHT © The Everyday Marksman

Adventure Awaits

+ Newsletter
+ New Content Alerts
+ Deals and Sales

Subscribe now

Let's Stay Connected

We can't Wait to Show You More

Please Login or Register