Page 3 / 3
  RSS

BDover
(@bdover)
Engaged Member Author
1390 Brass
07/06/2019 8:21 pm  

@sunshine-shooter

I follow both your blog and Matt’s.   Your post on desert brutality was good.   I’d love to do something like that but financially that match is not in the cards for me.  I’m trying to get into some of the  2 gun outlaw run n gun matches here in the Midwest.

ReplyQuote
Sunshine Shooter
(@sunshine-shooter)
Engaged Member Author
1524 Brass
17/06/2019 11:17 am  

@bdover

Well first off, thanks for reading!  I'll admit, going to Desert Brutality was a bit of a stretch for me.  I had to split some costs with a shooting buddy of mine and I also depleted my red dot fund to do it.  I need to start planning out how I'm going to pay for DB2020 soon.

I think that getting into local, "club level " matches is really a solid idea.  Don't be afraid to start your own, even.  The same guy I went to DB with is planning on starting up his own 2 gun match here local to me in the fall.

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement"

progunmillennial.wordpress.com

ReplyQuote
Matt
 Matt
(@matt)
Practitioner Admin
9679 Brass
Challenges:
17/06/2019 11:34 am  

After mulling things over a bit, I’m still town between a P320 Compact or the M&P 2.0 Compact to fill the striker 9mm niche for me.

I handled both over the weekend. I feel like the M&P has the nicer trigger and fit for my hand, but the P320 wasn’t terrible. To complicate it, I also handled the 320 X-Carry, which felt the best of all

Since the 320 is modular, I could buy it outright and then stick it in the x-carry grip module for $50. The trigger can be worked on.

"Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

ReplyQuote
Jayclimber
(@jayclimber)
Member Member
275 Brass
21/06/2019 7:43 am  

I have as S&W M&P 40 I use for edc and a Taurus G2C I've been using as a camp gun. I may actually switch those two since the Taurus gives me more rounds per magazine (12 vs 7) and I'm not one of those caliber Nazis that has to use one caluber over the other. I'll end up switching to 9mm permanently just due to simplicity and cost.

I also have a 1911 in .22 that I like to use for general plinking and varmint control!

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."
--Samuel Adams

ReplyQuote
JustinC
(@justinc)
Member Subject Matter Expert
262 Brass
01/07/2019 8:48 am  

Nighthawk Custom Compact in 9mm.

ReplyQuote
BDover
(@bdover)
Engaged Member Author
1390 Brass
01/07/2019 3:14 pm  

@justinc

You sir have good taste!

ReplyQuote
JustinC
(@justinc)
262 Brass
01/07/2019 7:12 pm  

@bdover

Thanks! It's a little eccentric for a daily carry choice. It was a gift to myself, and I've dedicated myself to developing the skill to use as much of its potential as possible.

ReplyQuote
Matt
 Matt
(@matt)
Practitioner Admin
9679 Brass
Challenges:
01/07/2019 8:08 pm  
Posted by: BDover

@justinc

You sir have good taste!

Indeed!

ReplyQuote
BDover
(@bdover)
Engaged Member Author
1390 Brass
02/07/2019 7:33 am  

@justinc

I have to ask, what do you carry in in holster wise?   Also, what do you use for carry ammo?  I've read that 1911 (& the 9mm version specifically) can be picky with JHPs.   I'll openly admit Ihave no experience with a a 1911 in 9mm so I have to ask.

ReplyQuote
JustinC
(@justinc)
262 Brass
02/07/2019 9:32 am  

@bdover

I carry it in a Precisions Holsters' Ultra Appendix.

I carry 124-grain +P Federal HST. I think most modern 1911s have feed ramp geometry and polished feed ramps that work pretty well with JHP ammo. I've had zero malfunctions in ~200 rounds with the HSTs.

Generally speaking you're correct; Ken Hackathorn calls the 1911 the "king of feedway stoppages". This is even more problematic with 1911s chambered for scaled-down cartirdges like 9mm that is shorter than .45 ACP. This gun runs really well, especially with Wilson ETM magazines.

I wrote a review of this gun on my blog back in December, and am working on a 5,000-round field report now (probably won't be out for a couple more months). Here's a link to the original article:

First Look: The Nighthawk Custom Carry

This post was modified 2 months ago by Matt

ReplyQuote
Robby
(@robby)
Passerby Member
117 Brass
02/07/2019 3:43 pm  

FNS-9. I like the longer grip. It was basically the Glock 19x before it existed.

Someday. That’s a dangerous word. It’s really just a code for ‘never’.

ReplyQuote
Matt
 Matt
(@matt)
Practitioner Admin
9679 Brass
Challenges:
02/07/2019 8:17 pm  
Posted by: Robby

FNS-9. I like the longer grip. It was basically the Glock 19x before it existed.

You know what's funny about that is that I remember when it came out and I purchased mine, all of the magazines and gun sites were complaining about how backward it was that it had a compact-sized slide and a full-sized grip. Then when Glock does it a few years later it's the greatest thing ever...

ReplyQuote
Nick_
(@nick_)
Member Community Founder
272 Brass
09/07/2019 10:23 pm  

Glock 19 G4 with Amerigo sights if I recall correctly...so I should be in the majority but am I really?....

“While people laugh at me because I’m different, I laugh at them because they’re all the same.”

ReplyQuote
Czfan10101
(@czfan10101)
Member Member
363 Brass
11/07/2019 11:58 am  

CZ PCR! Deeply fond of  83 also, that little .380 is a tack driver but it has some ammo sensitivity

ReplyQuote
Matt
 Matt
(@matt)
Practitioner Admin
9679 Brass
Challenges:
11/07/2019 12:57 pm  

Oh man, I’ve been eyeballing a PCR for years. I can never find one locally to handle, though. Same for the P01

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3

Thank you for coming by The Everyday Marksman. This site and its community are a labor of love. I hope you stick around for a while, and maybe even join us.

-Matt

\\\ Participate

COPYRIGHT © The Everyday Marksman

Adventure Awaits

+ Newsletter
+ New Content Alerts
+ Deals and Sales

Subscribe now

Let's Stay Connected

We can't Wait to Show You More

Please Login or Register