RSS

Matt
 Matt
(@matt)
Practitioner Admin
10662 Brass
Challenges:
05/11/2019 10:00 pm  

For whatever reason, getting back to building up my bolt action rifle has been on my mind a lot lately. Call it a little bit of pessimism if you will, but the political winds in Virginia are very unfriendly at the moment and some of the proposed laws will make things...difficult.

But bolt actions, like revolvers, seem to avoid ire for now. All of that to say that I'm very interested in finishing up a Howa 1500 that I've had sitting in my safe since 2013 that I never finished out. I originally planned to use it for 1000 yard silhouette competition when I lived in Montana. But those opportunities dried up when I moved to California and only had ready access to 100 yards. After moving to VA, my focus on articles surrounding the AR-15 led me to neglect other rifles a bit. But I want to get back to it.

So here's where I'm at currently:

Howa 1500 chambered in .308 with a 20" 1/10 twist barrel

Mounted in a Manners T2 stock with bedded pillars

Adjustable cheek pad

I picked up some bottom metal from PTG years ago to convert over to AICS magazines, but I never had the stock inlet for it. Furthermore, for the magazines to work, I need to have some milling work done on the inside of the Howa's action.

Currently, I'm without an optic on it. It had a 6.5-20x44 on it for a while, but I sold that to a friend years ago and never replaced it.

My intended use is precision rifle competition at Peacemaker National Training Center.

Heh....I should start a go fund me or something to help "finish" things out.

How about you, got a bolt action projects?

"Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

Diceman624
(@diceman624)
Engaged Member Author
1717 Brass
06/11/2019 6:47 am  

All of mine are milsurps; a 1918 production US Model 1917, a 1935 Mosin, a 1941 Aussie SMLE No. 1 & a Yugo M48.

I like the idea of bolt actions, but when compared to semi-autos, they require a bit more recoil management from me.  I keep going back and forth on picking up a No. 4 Enfield, probably a Canadian Long Branch Mk. 1

Internet reputations may be one thing, but cold hard data is another.

ReplyQuote
Sunshine Shooter
(@sunshine-shooter)
Engaged Member Author
2106 Brass
Challenges: emergency shelter challenge level 1
06/11/2019 12:10 pm  

I like bolt guns, but I refuse to buy one that isn't left handed.  I'm still waiting on Ruger to release a left-handed RPR.  I had a Gen 2 RPR in 6.5 CM and seriously enjoyed that gun!  The threaded muzzle, the rail, the dual mag compatibility, it's just an awesome turnkey package.  Buy rifle, add scope, and go!  I'd like to get back into something like that again in the future, but will stick with my ARs for the time being.

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement"

progunmillennial.wordpress.com

ReplyQuote
Matt
 Matt
(@matt)
Practitioner Admin
10662 Brass
Challenges:
17/11/2019 9:32 pm  
Posted by: @sunshine-shooter

I like bolt guns, but I refuse to buy one that isn't left handed.  I'm still waiting on Ruger to release a left-handed RPR.  I had a Gen 2 RPR in 6.5 CM and seriously enjoyed that gun!  The threaded muzzle, the rail, the dual mag compatibility, it's just an awesome turnkey package.  Buy rifle, add scope, and go!  I'd like to get back into something like that again in the future, but will stick with my ARs for the time being.

While working up this week's post, I came across some options you might be interested in. I didn't know a few of the brands I almost bought 7 years ago had gained so much traction. I'd definitely suggest checking out one of the Tikka T3x rifles in left-handed format.

ReplyQuote
Pete
 Pete
(@pete)
Member Community Founder
1078 Brass
Challenges:
18/11/2019 12:06 pm  
Posted by: @matt

Tikka T3x rifles

Oh man, those Tikka T3x Arctic rifles are nice. The Canadian Rangers replaced their aging SMLE rifles with it.

"It is an enormous simplification to speak of the American mind. Every American has his own mind." -Ludwig von Mises (Theory and History)
"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert A. Heinlein (The Moon is a Harsh Mistress)
"Those who are in love with practice without knowledge are like the sailor who gets into a ship without rudder or compass and who never can be certain [where] he is going. Practice must always be founded on sound theory." -Leonardo da Vinci (#19 Of the Mistakes made By Those Who Practice Without Knowledge)

ReplyQuote
Matt
 Matt
(@matt)
Practitioner Admin
10662 Brass
Challenges:
18/11/2019 1:05 pm  

@pete

Definitely. I’ve always liked the scout rifle concept, but never liked the forward mounted scope. The arctic just looks like a great all around field rifle.

Pete liked
ReplyQuote

Thank you for coming by The Everyday Marksman. This site and its community are a labor of love. I hope you stick around for a while, and maybe even join us.

-Matt

\\\ Participate

COPYRIGHT © The Everyday Marksman

Adventure Awaits

+ Newsletter
+ New Content Alerts
+ Deals and Sales

Subscribe now

Let's Stay Connected

We can't Wait to Show You More

Please Login or Register