Backpacking, Ruckin...

Backpacking, Rucking and Field Events  

RSS

Eljefe_kf
(@eljefe_kf)
Passerby Community Founder
257 Brass
12/05/2019 5:10 pm  

I’m wonderfully excited to for this forum. This has long been a source of my favorite articles related to marksmanship and shooting.

Lately I’ve been especially interested in combining my two sports- backpacking/camping and precision rifle shooting. Has anyone else here completed The Mammoth Sniper Challenge or something similar?

Particularly interested in your training program and what kind of extents you go to when training. I’m fortunate that I live in an area I can access hiking trails and pretty good elevation gains within a 10-20 minutes drive. I’m going to start alternating my morning runs with more goal-oriented rucks in these areas. Any suggestions or targets you care to share?

Matt
 Matt
(@matt)
Practitioner Admin
10743 Brass
Challenges:
13/05/2019 7:24 am  

I'm glad you're here and excited! Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction forum. I need to actually write the forum rules for that, hehe.

I can't say I've done anything like the Mammoth Challenge, though it looks like it would be a great time. I remember following Andrew Tuohy over at Vuurwapen Blog years ago when he was doing something similar.

Looking over the requirements, I would actually ditch running altogether in favor of focusing on rucking with all the weight you plan to carry in the actual event. If it's awkward to carry a rifle around on the rucks, maybe substitute with a sledgehammer and get your John Henry on. Mammoth's site says the target pace is 16 min/mile, so if you hold yourself to a goal of 14:30 to 15:00 per mile, including the hills, then I think you'd be in good shape for it.

If Sunshine_Shooter's lessons taught me anything, it's that you can make up for a lot of points by moving faster than everyone else.

As far as the shooting portion, you need to know your zero. I ran into that in my last match, where I zeroed the day before the event and really didn't get to know it all that well. Take the time to learn your zero and how it actually works at different distances. Likewise, learn to read the wind. I've got a review coming up this week on John Simpson's new book, but he makes the point that wind closer to the rifle is more important than wind at the target (that surprised me, actually).

For the camping portion, I would try to keep it light and quick. No need to carry a whole tent or anything if you can get away with a simple hammock and tarp, or even just the tarp.

"Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

ReplyQuote
Sunshine Shooter
(@sunshine-shooter)
Engaged Member Author
2126 Brass
Challenges: emergency shelter challenge level 1
13/05/2019 1:19 pm  

I remember hearing Bryan Black from ITS Tactical talk about the Mammoth Sniper challenge, as he seems to do it every year for the last few years running.  I've never done it personally.

Here's a video he made recapping his experience in the 2017 challenge.

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement"

progunmillennial.wordpress.com

Eljefe_kf liked
ReplyQuote
BDover
(@bdover)
Engaged Member Author
1394 Brass
04/06/2019 4:18 pm  

@eljefe_kf

@matt

What do you guys use for ruck training?  I used to use weights that I got off craigslist, but I recently switched to duct taped bricks.  If you're looking for weight averages, most bricks are 4.7-5.0 lbs each.  They seem to do alright, but I didn't know if there is a better alternative.  Also, what do you use in lieu of actually carting a rifle around?  I live in the suburbs, but towards the edge of town, and even then if I was carting a rifle around the cops would definitely show up.

ReplyQuote
Eljefe_kf
(@eljefe_kf)
Passerby Community Founder
257 Brass
04/06/2019 5:59 pm  

It’s mentioned here above and the lovely gal at the local ranger station also recommended packing a sledgehammer rather than a rifle. I’ve got enough wilderness and we’re a very hunting and shooting oriented community, I’ll generally pack my rifle. I keep most of my gear packed and will just throw some extra water in. I also have a duct-taped, plastic bag filled with silt/sand and it weighs just over 12 lb. that about makes up for the food and extras that I usually pack. I also work a job with a gym on site and 90% of the time I have the place to myself. I’ll throw the pack on and hit the treadmill pretty regularly. Really ramped it up the last couple weeks.

ReplyQuote
Matt
 Matt
(@matt)
Practitioner Admin
10743 Brass
Challenges:
04/06/2019 8:01 pm  

@bdover

Bricks work well, honestly. I have one each of GoRuck's Ruck Plates in 20 lbs and 30 lbs. I got them right when they came out years ago, I see they've raised the prices quite a bit. You might be able to wait until one comes on sale. Titan Fitness has something similar for less than half the price: https://www.titan.fitness/30-lb-ruck-weight.html

I haven't done a rifle substitute, but I'm right there with Eljefe, a sledgehammer in the 10 lb range would do just fine.

"Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

Eljefe_kf liked
ReplyQuote
BDover
(@bdover)
Engaged Member Author
1394 Brass
06/06/2019 7:58 am  

@Eljefe_kf

Thanks, I totally missed the part about the sledge, but that is genius.   I'll have to get a sandbag to add it.    I don't know how your training is going, but I like to load 20ish lbs into my pack and go for long walks with the dog in the morning (3-4 miles).   I found that by doing that 2-3 times a week and by keeping my normal gym routine that I've gotten much better in the past few weeks.

@matt

I looked at the GoRuck plates, but man are they expensive, I get its made in America and all but... dang.    I"m glad to see the titan plates are back in stock.  I'll have to grab a 20 lb soon.  I contacted a local metal shop & using the dimensions on GoRuck's website i had a plate of 1" steel cut.....  Just picked it up this morning.  Its 43.28 lbs, so I'll have to get a lighter plate to start with.

ReplyQuote
Jerry
(@rto-jerry)
Engaged Member Community Founder
1001 Brass
Challenges:
10/06/2019 7:59 am  

@Eljefe_kf Same here I just keep my 3V Gear (VELOX II TACTICAL ASSAULT PACK ) loaded up and carry it often on hikes per week. One thing about owning dogs they will keep you in shape LOL! Rain, snow, sun 365/year they need their walks ha!  Run the pack pretty heavy on range trips and on deer still hunts and very often in inclement weather conditions. The gear gets worked  especially hard in hunting season and in winter months snow shoeing as well the body does too. I am pretty spent after deer season ends average 15 days a field on the still hunt for the elusive white tail.

ReplyQuote
Cutright
(@cutright)
Member Community Founder
505 Brass
20/11/2019 11:53 am  

I'm late to this party but all this ruck and shooting talk gets my juices flowing. I think I'm going to go do the ruck challenge, maybe achieve all three goals as I warm up for it.

I've never heard of the specific competition mentioned, but that's kind of outside my wheel house. I need to look into it.

Pete liked
ReplyQuote

Thank you for coming by The Everyday Marksman. This site and its community are a labor of love. I hope you stick around for a while, and maybe even join us.

-Matt

\\\ Participate

COPYRIGHT © The Everyday Marksman

Adventure Awaits

+ Newsletter
+ New Content Alerts
+ Deals and Sales

Subscribe now

Let's Stay Connected

We can't Wait to Show You More

Please Login or Register