Matt
 Matt
(@matt)
Practitioner Admin
11318 Brass
Challenges:
18/08/2019 2:02 pm  

Hey all, opinion time...

You might have noticed that I reformatted the individual posts a bit and included some spaces for ads banners. Let me know what you think.

Why did I do this?

I really want to write about things that y'all are interested in reading, such as gear reviews, training/competition AARs, and more. The trouble is cash flow. The money I make off the site right now is covering expenses for hosting, design tools, and podcast equipment, but isn't enough to purchase training, ammo for matches/training, or gear. I'm testing the ad placement in preparation for opening the site up to managed ad companies, and these are the locations they like to use. I'm still a couple of months away from actually applying to these agencies, so I figured it was good to do testing now.

The other option, of course, is a Patreon-style direct support model. To be honest, I'd love to do that route, but I'd feel guilty about asking you for money to receive what you're already getting for free, and I don't have the personal bandwidth to develop any new "products" at the moment.

Anyway, let me know your thoughts!

Matt

"Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

Sunshine Shooter
(@sunshine-shooter)
Engaged Member Author
2558 Brass
Challenges: emergency shelter challenge level 1
18/08/2019 8:33 pm  

I'm not opposed to ads.

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement"

progunmillennial.wordpress.com

ReplyQuote
Matt
 Matt
(@matt)
Practitioner Admin
11318 Brass
Challenges:
19/08/2019 8:13 am  

@sunshine-shooter

Thanks~ I didn't imagine most people would be, since ads are kind of a staple of internet life. But I've gone this far without them, so you never know how people might react.

ReplyQuote
BDover
(@bdover)
Engaged Member Author
1395 Brass
19/08/2019 12:48 pm  

@matt

If ads pay the bills then go for it.  I view it no differently than when I  get ads watching TV (yes, I'm one of those rare individuals that watches live tv- only jeopardy though).

ReplyQuote
Pete
 Pete
(@pete)
Engaged Member Community Founder
1113 Brass
Challenges:
19/08/2019 6:02 pm  

I'm fine with ads as long as they are quiet, aren't obnoxiously large, and don't pop-up.

"It is an enormous simplification to speak of the American mind. Every American has his own mind." -Ludwig von Mises (Theory and History)
"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert A. Heinlein (The Moon is a Harsh Mistress)
"Those who are in love with practice without knowledge are like the sailor who gets into a ship without rudder or compass and who never can be certain [where] he is going. Practice must always be founded on sound theory." -Leonardo da Vinci (#19 Of the Mistakes made By Those Who Practice Without Knowledge)

ReplyQuote
Matt
 Matt
(@matt)
Practitioner Admin
11318 Brass
Challenges:
19/08/2019 8:57 pm  

@pete

I'm there with you. When it comes to ads, I refuse to use pop-up style anything with video/audio, or anything that covers the entire page. The ones you see now on individual posts would be about it, just as they are. There might be a few scattered between paragraphs of articles as well.

Pete liked
ReplyQuote
Pete
 Pete
(@pete)
Engaged Member Community Founder
1113 Brass
Challenges:
19/08/2019 9:03 pm  

@matt

"It is an enormous simplification to speak of the American mind. Every American has his own mind." -Ludwig von Mises (Theory and History)
"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert A. Heinlein (The Moon is a Harsh Mistress)
"Those who are in love with practice without knowledge are like the sailor who gets into a ship without rudder or compass and who never can be certain [where] he is going. Practice must always be founded on sound theory." -Leonardo da Vinci (#19 Of the Mistakes made By Those Who Practice Without Knowledge)

BDover liked
ReplyQuote

Your Support Matters

The Everyday Marksman uses Ko-Fi to help fund our activities. If you like what you get here, then we'd appreciate your support. Supporting the site includes several perks you can't get anywhere else.
Buy a Round

\\\ Latest Articles

Thank you for coming by The Everyday Marksman. This site and its community are a labor of love. I hope you stick around for a while, and maybe even join us.

-Matt

\\\ Participate

COPYRIGHT © The Everyday Marksman

Adventure Awaits

+ Newsletter
+ New Content Alerts
+ Deals and Sales

Subscribe now

Let's Stay Connected

We can't Wait to Show You More

Please Login or Register