The Everyday Marksman

Community Hub

Something Amazing is Coming

The Everyday Marksman forum launched nearly a year ago. In that time, we’ve learned a lot about one another and running a small tightknit community. Now it’s time for the next evolution, a brand new place for you to connect with other marksmen just like you online and in the real world. It’s almost ready, and it’s going to be an invitation-only affair. But now is your chance to get on the waiting list and get invited the day the doors open up.

I can’t wait to show you more.

\\\ The Forum

Does anyone do PRS or NRL matches?  

RSS

Matt
 Matt
(@matt)
Hardened Member Admin
11872 Brass
Challenges:
02/01/2020 11:28 am  

Do any of you jokers compete in these matches? I'd like to pick your brain about tips, tricks, and lessons learned.

Project Gungnir is still sitting with my local gunsmith for the moment, but I'm looking forward to getting out there with it this year to do some training events and matches. Per Russ Miller's advice back in episode 8, I'm sticking with the factory 308 barrel until it's shot out and then I'll consider some different chamberings. Though part of me is very interested in sticking with 308 and trying my hand at reloading with some of the 30 cal VLD options on the market.

Something else I've been toying with is the idea of a PRS rifle on a budget kind of article, where I go through the steps of planning, building, and using a rifle for local matches. I kind of want to go with a .223, since that allows me to stay within the tactical division and makes for a handy training rifle.

"Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

Cutright
(@cutright)
Member Community Founder
861 Brass
Challenges: emergency shelter challenge level 1
05/01/2020 5:40 pm  

I'm looking to get quite involved myself. Regrettably, most meets are several hours if not half a day of travel for me. Renegade, maybe its called outlaw?, meets are held all over the place if you're not interested in points.

I have a friend who works for Beretta and he acquired me a Burris XTR II at a serious discount. Works like my $180 Millet, but has 4x more adjustment...point being its a quality build, considered an excellent and perhaps a standard of entry level optic for long distance shooting but nothing fabulous compared to the high end glass available; the money is in the tracking, not the glass apparently. There is definitely chromatic aberration at 20x, but the 34mm tube is nice. Anyhoo, sighted it in yesterday at 100 yards and got a 11/16", or .6875", 3 round group. It's not hard to see what youre doing, or screwing up, at 100 yards. Interestingly enough, 2 of the 3 guys who came with showed up with the newer Savage Model 10 FCP-SR's with AICS mags (Im jealous because mine is the propriatey Savage mag that suck), but theirs are chambered in 6.5 CM, one right and the other left-handed. Good shooters and the first time I had the opportunity to shoot 6.5. Has about 75% of the recoil of .308, or basically like shooting mine suppressed.

To ensure that Im long winded about this, neither  one has much experience in PR and I'm a rank novice myself with one formal class and only about 400 rounds through my rifle, but it was interesting watching them get up on the gun and all the little interesting things you take for granted after you've been shown a few quality pointers. It was exciting to see them after they tightened up their group and had that "ahah!" moment though. So hopefully I'll be able to drag these 21 and 20 year olds with me to a few competitions and try to keep up with them when they smoke me on the trail up to the shooting positions...they're both SF bound kids and work out like it's their job.

In the mean time, I'm with you. Shoot the barrel out of this sucker and see what I can learn. I still need a sling and I need to chrono my gun and develop DOPE...I'm not touching the high end electronics until I have to.

I look forward to what everyone else is doing in the PR world.

ReplyQuote
Matt
 Matt
(@matt)
Hardened Member Admin
11872 Brass
Challenges:
05/01/2020 8:59 pm  

@cutright

Yeah, I'm not really in it for the points. Renegade matches are fine for me.

I think I mentioned it before, but I recently picked up a Steiner P4xi 4-16x56 for this project based on Ilya's recommendation. I'm pretty sure Burris was involved in the development (Beretta owns both Steiner and Burris). From talking around, it seems like most scops have really good glass these days (at least at first, cheaper ones will get worse over time). The real trick is in the tracking and zero features.

"Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

ReplyQuote

\\\ Latest Articles

Support
The Everyday Marksman
The Everyday Marksman is entirely funded by readers like you. We don't rely on ads, sponsors, or any other outside influence to run things. For the price of a box of ammo, you can help keep the lights on and the content flowing.

Buy a Round

Your Support Matters

The Everyday Marksman uses Ko-Fi to help fund our activities. If you like what you get here, then we'd appreciate your support. Supporting the site includes several perks you can't get anywhere else.
Buy a Round

\\\ Latest Articles

Thank you for coming by The Everyday Marksman. This site and its community are a labor of love. I hope you stick around for a while, and maybe even join us.

-Matt

\\\ Participate

COPYRIGHT © The Everyday Marksman

Adventure Awaits

+ Newsletter
+ New Content Alerts
+ Deals and Sales

Subscribe now

Let's Stay Connected

We can't Wait to Show You More

Please Login or Register