So Why Start a Forum?  

RSS

Matt
 Matt
(@matt)
Engaged Member Admin
8141 Brass
12/05/2019 9:39 am  

I'm sure the question will come up eventually, so let's just tackle it now.

From the moment I purchased the domain name for The Everyday Marksman, I envisioned it as becoming a community. That started with an email list and driving comments on the articles. I later jumped into creating a Facebook group. That engagement has been great, and I really appreciate everyone who has participated in it.

But here's the thing: I'm a believer in owning the platform. Doing things in a Facebook group makes sense for people who aren't prepared or willing to run a forum like this. But using someone else's platform, like Facebook, ultimately gives Facebook all of the power. Should a day ever come where they decide that they don't want gun-related content on their site, nothing would stop them from wiping out everything we had accomplished there.

Furthermore, I also get that a lot of people don't want to use Facebook at all. They deleted their accounts, as I have done a few times, and just don't want to be pushed back into it.

Aside from the platform, I sincerely believe that the best way to build a community is to have active members that talk to each other. The comments section on the articles is a great first step, but this is an even better one since everyone can post new topics, ask questions, and respond. I also think this is a great way to pick up new topic ideas for the blog itself, or even publish guest posts.

You might have noticed the point system here. I'll have a second article all about that, but let me discuss the basics. In an effort to keep a high quality of discussion, I've implemented a point system. In short, you earn points for positive actions on The Everyday Marksman as a site. Some examples of positive actions include:

• Commenting on blog posts
  • Posting in the forum
  • Answering questions in the Q&A section (bonus points if your answer is accepted as the top one)
  • Giving and receiving upvotes
  • Having a byline attached to blog articles on the main site

What do these points do for you? At first its a pride thing, but as I further develop the community you will be able to use these points for discounts in the swag shop, "buying" new titles, and unlocking achievements.

In order to earn points for these actions, you must have and use an account with the site. I've made as easy as I can so that registering here on the forum is the same account you can use for commenting on the blog itself.

With all of that said, thanks for joining and I look forward to more discussion with you.

With that, thank you for joining

"Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

Beo liked
Sunshine Shooter
(@sunshine-shooter)
Engaged Member Author
1028 Brass
13/05/2019 1:10 pm  

So, how many good boy points do I get for already having a guest post on the blog?  🙂

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement"

progunmillennial.wordpress.com

ReplyQuote
Matt
 Matt
(@matt)
Engaged Member Admin
8141 Brass
13/05/2019 1:43 pm  

I’m still working on that 😉

"Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

ReplyQuote

Thank you for coming by The Everyday Marksman. This site and its community are a labor of love. I hope you stick around for a while, and maybe even join us.

-Matt

\\\ Participate

COPYRIGHT © The Everyday Marksman

Adventure Awaits

+ Newsletter
+ New Content Alerts
+ Deals and Sales

Subscribe now

Let's Stay Connected

We can't Wait to Show You More

Working

Please Login or Register