RSS

Matt
 Matt
(@matt)
Practitioner Admin
11311 Brass
Challenges:
31/07/2019 1:19 pm  

After a lot of back and forth over the last few weeks, I can't help but think of some of the negative gun owner stereotypes out there. But let's have some fun with it.

Who would win in a fight: Tactical Timmy or Boogaloo Bob?

Yes, I just made up Boogaloo Bob- feel free to spread it around, lol.

This topic was modified 4 months ago by Matt

"Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

BDover
(@bdover)
Engaged Member Author
1395 Brass
31/07/2019 2:37 pm  

What kind of loadout & training are we talking ?  Tactical Timmy with a $3k AR, optics & a plate carrier who has never used it?   Boogaloo bob with an SKS, 10k of 7.62 and has actually used it in classes and matches?

Based on names alone I would go with Boogaloo Bob, he sounds more fun.

ReplyQuote
Matt
 Matt
(@matt)
Practitioner Admin
11311 Brass
Challenges:
31/07/2019 3:52 pm  

@bdover

lol, I suppose we should probably figure out what Boogaloo Bob is supposed to represent, right?

I think most of us have the image of Tactical Timmy as the guy who spends thousands and thousands of dollars on gear to look the part, but either doesn't actually train with it or focuses only on a narrow subset of skills. By narrow, I mean nearly all of his training/practice consists of "go-fast" shooting against a timer kind of stuff.

Boogaloo Bob, on the other hand, has been preparing for the zombie apocalypse. He looks like the surplus store vomited on him, with poorly-fitting gear of questionable quality, a machete worn across his back like a sword, and a mind full of apocalypse fiction about how things are gonna be.

They're both negative stereotypes, to be honest. But I thought it was time to put a name to the second one.

There's room for a third, the billy-badass of the gun world: Sheepdog Shane.

I feel like I should do more with these character names.

ReplyQuote
BDover
(@bdover)
Engaged Member Author
1395 Brass
31/07/2019 4:13 pm  

@matt

When you put it like that it sounds like it'd be a mess either way.  If you do you need to throw in your typical OFWG who only shoots IDPA and thinks that a 1911 hidden with a fishing vest is all you need.  This feels like MTV celebrity deathmatch...

ReplyQuote
Matt
 Matt
(@matt)
Practitioner Admin
11311 Brass
Challenges:
31/07/2019 4:24 pm  

@bdover

Oh, yeah, but what do we call him? Fuddy Fred?

ReplyQuote
BDover
(@bdover)
Engaged Member Author
1395 Brass
31/07/2019 8:46 pm  

@matt

I do like Fuddy Fred.   There are more than a few guys like that st the IDPA match I go to.   One guy told me my g19 w/fiber sights would break the first time I fired it (ran it all day st the goruck class).  It really disgust me that most people at those matches wear tactical 511 pants, earth tone T-shirt’s and vest    Screams I HAVE A GUN.   I’m one of 3 guys that show up in jeans/shorts in a button up, clothes that I’d actually wear day to day.

***disclaimer, I go to Idpa matches since they’re 25 min from my house.  If USPSA was closer I’d do those.

ReplyQuote
Jerry
(@rto-jerry)
Engaged Member Community Founder
1001 Brass
Challenges:
01/08/2019 7:50 am  

I'd have to go with "Shane Sheepdog" often unassuming in character he methodically prepares his martial skills for the eventual time he may have to use them. Often former military (combat vet with a tour to "the sand" or Vietnam under his belt) or Cold War vet who drilled and alerted incessantly over time in service, preparations are his second skin. Not only does Shane train for such he prepares for a world without law from hurricanes to grid down knowing he will be tasked to help organize neighborhood micro-community in event of a longer term world without law. His friends, family and neighbors view him as a bit of an odd ball for always busying with preparations such as range trips, training classes, home security. He is not like the other men of his neighborhood never engages in small talk about the NFL or NBA or foodie fair nonsense doesn't engage in talking down neighbors, latest cars, latest phone device, political talk, current movies, etc. Comes off as  bit of an eccentric to odd ball depending who's view and definitely not with the times. He is joe six pack never really noticeable or flamboyant ignored by most until the day things go sideways in his neighborhood or community (Stephen Willeford).

ReplyQuote
Sunshine Shooter
(@sunshine-shooter)
Engaged Member Author
2556 Brass
Challenges: emergency shelter challenge level 1
03/08/2019 5:06 pm  

Boogaloo Bob would win.  Tim would breach the door beautifully, sweep the rooms with machine-like precision, and never see the diesel & fertilizer bomb behind the drywall of the bedroom.  Boogaloo Bob was in a tree in the backyard the whole time.

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement"

progunmillennial.wordpress.com

BDover liked
ReplyQuote
BDover
(@bdover)
Engaged Member Author
1395 Brass
03/08/2019 9:23 pm  

Boogaloo wins.

Fred would get his 1911 caught in his ‘shoot me first vest’ by tactical tims Roland special when Tim breaks in to get food since he blew his money on Gucci gear in multicam black.   Shane waits for Tim to walk out after taking care of Fred.   Boogaloo hits Shane with 30 rds of 77gr OTM when Shane looks away during the search and assess he learned from his buddy who was Swat in the 80s.

ReplyQuote
Cutright
(@cutright)
Member Community Founder
851 Brass
04/08/2019 12:05 pm  

First off, MTV's Celebrity Deathmatch...wow, there's a thought I haven't had in 20 years.

Secondly, I've been really thinking about these personas. The fudds I've met are typically older, cling to the iconic weapons of their time, much like the Tactical Timmy's do of theirs. Both are badass in their own mind and might even have been on a good day.

The sheepdog, in my opinion, is the most dangerous in my limited experience. They typically have more relevant training, are younger and more capable but just as disillusioned as the others...with the hardware and mindset to really damage some folks.

Boogaloo is the close second with the will to not die, and take everyone with them if they are going to. It's the last place I'd want to assault because of that mindset...zombies.

As for myself and where I fall in all of this, I'm not so sure. I will be an avid shooter who tries to learn from all aspects of shooting while sharing what I know to new shooters and those less experienced. I'd rather have spent 5 hours with complete novices on the range and know what their capable of than call on a friend in the worst (read: most likely never come to that) of circumstances and not know what they can do...that's how you get accidentally shot in the back of the head doing CQB.

Anyhoo, thought provoking thread here.

ReplyQuote
Diceman624
(@diceman624)
Engaged Member Author
1868 Brass
05/08/2019 1:41 pm  

This thread is both hilarious and thought provoking at the same time.

I can't decide if Boogaloo Bob would be the ultimate survivor or act out at the wrong time, and be considered a lone wolf terrorist.  In other words, (with this past weekend's events in mind) would Bob be seen as a psycho, ready to start cracking off rounds at the very rumor of SHTF/Zombie Apocalypse?

I think Timmy would probably die doing CQB when he didn't need to; Fuddy Fred (who I wanted to call Front Porch Frank) would probably die from a massed assault he didn't have the rate of fire to outmatch.

I still stand with Shane; he's probably been exposed to a variety of weapon systems (perhaps from .mil/LE service), has learned to read the environment for violent indicators, learned to keep an alert but low profile, and has also spent much time and effort on learning de-escalation and medical skills.  Not to mention, he may run in packs with other sheepdogs, and probably knows the value of when to move the flock to other pastures (Take a note, Frank) instead of fighting every wolf he finds (take note, Timmy).

This post was modified 4 months ago by Diceman624

Internet reputations may be one thing, but cold hard data is another.

ReplyQuote
Sunshine Shooter
(@sunshine-shooter)
Engaged Member Author
2556 Brass
09/08/2019 11:24 am  

@diceman624

Is Boogaloo Bob considered chaotic good, then?  He might save us all, as long as he waits long enough to do so.

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement"

progunmillennial.wordpress.com

ReplyQuote
Diceman624
(@diceman624)
Engaged Member Author
1868 Brass
09/08/2019 12:04 pm  

@sunshine_shooter

I haven't figured that out yet.

ReplyQuote
Cutright
(@cutright)
Member Community Founder
851 Brass
11/08/2019 12:52 pm  

On a side note, I guess I don't run in the right circles to have heard "boogaloo" until very, very recently, starting with this thread. I belong to a Form 1 suppressor builder group on FB and when those two shootings hit off and there was speak of new regs, everyone was talking about a boogaloo going off...Had no clue what was going on for about three days. I get it now. I get it 1776% now because that's all I've seen out of people for the past week.

Just thought it was interesting.

ReplyQuote
Matt
 Matt
(@matt)
Practitioner Admin
11311 Brass
Challenges:
20/08/2019 12:44 pm  

Coming back to this idea, because I'm doing a podcast episode on it.

Remember, the idea here was that these are all caricatures of negative stereotypes. I can see that some of you guys relate to Shane here, but the way you talk about him being low profile isn't how I'm approaching it. From a stereotype perspective, Shane is the guy driving a brodozer with a punisher skull decal on the rear window. He wears cobra-buckled tactical belts every day, has lots of exposed 2A-themed ink, and openly talks about being the "sheepdog." In all, he is the least likely to "blend in" with the crowd.

If we're talking the boogaloo, he's the guy everyone already knows about and would either target first or avoid altogether.

ReplyQuote
Diceman624
(@diceman624)
Engaged Member Author
1868 Brass
20/08/2019 4:41 pm  

@matt

Your Shane is my definition of Tactical Timmy, or maybe a Battle Bro Bob.  I guess my idea of Shane is more grey man.

ReplyQuote
Matt
 Matt
(@matt)
Practitioner Admin
11311 Brass
Challenges:
20/08/2019 4:45 pm  

@diceman624

Hehe, yeah, I can see the mixup. it will get clearer with the episode. Like I said, it's all kind of swirling around negative stereotypes. For the most part, folks who keep things balanced, like a kind of grey man situation, aren't all that negative to me.

ReplyQuote
Matt
 Matt
(@matt)
Practitioner Admin
11311 Brass
Challenges:
20/08/2019 5:04 pm  

To throw some more clarity between Timmy and Shane.

To me, timmy is the lit one of Instagram gun guy who spends a lot of money in gear, but doesn’t have experience, training, or really ever practices. It’s about the image.

Shane has the right mindset, has training, and even practices because it’s part of his identity. But he also takes “the lifestyle” a little too far, to the point he makes people around him uncomfortable.

ReplyQuote
Diceman624
(@diceman624)
Engaged Member Author
1868 Brass
20/08/2019 5:38 pm  

Is there room for Fan Boy Freddy, the guy who read on the internet that some weapon is the best, has mythical super powers, and thinks anyone who uses something different is sub-human?  Or is he found in Fuddy Fred territory?

We are dealing with negative stereotypes,  after all.

ReplyQuote
BDover
(@bdover)
Engaged Member Author
1395 Brass
20/08/2019 9:17 pm  

@diceman624

I feel like Freddy would be mildly to excessively overweight and have a $1700 rifle dynamics AK along with a bunch of crappy ProMag mags and 300 rds of Tula.     Like Timmy but waaay more into com bloc stuff.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2

Your Support Matters

The Everyday Marksman uses Ko-Fi to help fund our activities. If you like what you get here, then we'd appreciate your support. Supporting the site includes several perks you can't get anywhere else.
Buy a Round

\\\ Latest Articles

Thank you for coming by The Everyday Marksman. This site and its community are a labor of love. I hope you stick around for a while, and maybe even join us.

-Matt

\\\ Participate

COPYRIGHT © The Everyday Marksman

Adventure Awaits

+ Newsletter
+ New Content Alerts
+ Deals and Sales

Subscribe now

Let's Stay Connected

We can't Wait to Show You More

Please Login or Register