Favorite Books?  

RSS

Matt
 Matt
(@matt)
Engaged Member Admin
8141 Brass
16/05/2019 7:27 am  

I've been on a reading kick lately. What are some of ya'lls favorite books on shooting?

"Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

MTxW liked
Diceman624
(@diceman624)
Engaged Member Author
1368 Brass
16/05/2019 9:23 am  

From a fiction perspective, my all time is still The Count of Monte Cristo, however that isn't exactly relevant to this forum.

Since following this blog and MVT, I will say I've read up on the Falklands campaign, and highly recommend both The Yompers and 3 Commando Brigade in the Falklands: No Picnic. Both are pretty good reads on what I consider the last or greatest light infantry campaign in modern times.  I also have given some consideration to a British Army small arms manual (the title of which escapes me at the moment) for pre- and early World War I (Lee-Enfield and Lee-Metford rifles), courtesy the Victorian Rifleman YouTube channel.  I found it quite amazing what they knew about rifles a century ago that most training for carbines continues to teach.

As always, these were my impressions; YMMV.

Internet reputations may be one thing, but cold hard data is another.

ReplyQuote
Sunshine Shooter
(@sunshine-shooter)
Engaged Member Author
1028 Brass
16/05/2019 12:04 pm  

American Gun by Chris Kyle is one I really like.  It goes over the standard issue rifles & pistols of the US military since The Revolution.  It's not a technical manual by any means, and I don't know if it counts as a book on shooting, but it is fun, light reading about something most of us here seem to be interested in.

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement"

progunmillennial.wordpress.com

ReplyQuote
Matt
 Matt
(@matt)
Engaged Member Admin
8141 Brass
20/05/2019 9:08 pm  
Posted by: Sunshine Shooter

American Gun by Chris Kyle is one I really like.  It goes over the standard issue rifles & pistols of the US military since The Revolution.  It's not a technical manual by any means, and I don't know if it counts as a book on shooting, but it is fun, light reading about something most of us here seem to be interested in.

I'm a big fan of American Gun. I loaned out my copy a few years back and I really need to get it back.

ReplyQuote
BDover
(@bdover)
Engaged Member Community Founder
573 Brass
22/05/2019 12:42 pm  

Non-Fiction: I really enjoyed Sniper One by Dan Mills (British Sniper).  Found that to be a good read about how teams like his were utilized in the urban warfare.  Final non fiction read would be Horse Soldiers about the Green Berets invading AFG, not necessarily shooting, but all around interesting.

If you like gratuitous gun play then the Monster Hunter International series by Larry Corriea is pretty good; I admit that's a guilty pleasure of mine.

ReplyQuote
Jordanb
(@jordanb)
Passerby Community Founder
671 Brass
02/06/2019 7:06 pm  

Larry Corriea writes some great books, for sure!  Stephen Hunter is a great writer and is one of us gun people, and Neal Stephenson is a must-buy for me....if you haven't picked up one of his, start with Cryptonomicon.

I REALLY, REALLY need to up my game regarding non-fiction books.....reading, for me, has always been primarily escape, secondarily a quest for knowledge.

I pledge to begin my journey with Sniper One 🙂  As a graduate of MOUT school, I can think of no harsher mistress than an urban sniper.

jordan

MTxW and BDover liked
ReplyQuote
BDover
(@bdover)
Engaged Member Community Founder
573 Brass
02/06/2019 9:04 pm  

@jordanb

I’ll have to check out Cryptonomicon.  Reviews are good so I’ll st least give it 50 pages to get me interested.

I found sniper one to be an interesting read.  I’m not .mil or le so I don’t necessarily have formal training.  I just have a voracious appetite for books like that.  If you want some real interesting reading look up ‘the bear went over the mountsin’ And ‘the other side of the montain’.   Bear is by the Russians about the Afghanistan invasion and other side is from the mujadeen.

And Larry Correia...  love his stuff, it really appeals the gun nerd in me.  If you want other gun/survival nerd stuff look up stuff by J.L. Bourne, one of his series is zombies, one is a what if regarding society tanking.  Good stuff.

This post was modified 1 month ago by BDover

MTxW liked
ReplyQuote
Matt
 Matt
(@matt)
Engaged Member Admin
8141 Brass
02/06/2019 9:12 pm  
Posted by: Jordanb

Larry Corriea writes some great books, for sure!  Stephen Hunter is a great writer and is one of us gun people, and Neal Stephenson is a must-buy for me....if you haven't picked up one of his, start with Cryptonomicon.

I REALLY, REALLY need to up my game regarding non-fiction books.....reading, for me, has always been primarily escape, secondarily a quest for knowledge.

I pledge to begin my journey with Sniper One 🙂  As a graduate of MOUT school, I can think of no harsher mistress than an urban sniper.

jordan

I'm also a fan of Neal Stephenson. I read Snowcrash when I was on a cyberpunk kick a few years ago.

ReplyQuote
MTxW
 MTxW
(@mtxw)
Passerby Member
221 Brass
04/06/2019 10:12 am  

I have to completely agree with Jordanb and BDover, Larry Correia writes some fantastic books with very accurate depictions of guns.

I'll have to check out Sniper One and American Gun.  My non-fiction gun related reading is rather lacking...

ReplyQuote
Jerry
(@rto-jerry)
Member Community Founder
432 Brass
13/06/2019 10:51 pm  

Completed "Roll Me Over" An Infantryman's World War II great read on a not so traditional (31) soldier and "Resistance to Tyranny". Reading "The Way of Men" currently and Matt Bracken trilogy (Foreign Enemies and Traitors; Enemies Foreign and Domestic, Domestic Enemies) is next on the "to read" list.

ReplyQuote
lefty556
(@lefty556)
Passerby Member
214 Brass
18/06/2019 1:03 pm  

For shooting related books, J. Michael Plaxco's Shooting from Within,  Fairbairn and Sykes Shooting to Live, and Brian Enos's Practical Shooting are all good books.  There are many more, but those are the three that are on the book shelf in my office at work.

For performance psychology, I've really enjoyed Golf is not a Game of Perfect by Dr. Bob Rotella, Thinking Practical Shooting by Saul Kirsch, and With Winning in Mind by Lanny Basham are all excellent books.

I enjoyed and learned from all of the books written by Paul Howe and Kyle Lamb.

For fiction, I really like Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series.  They're very enjoyable, and Larry is a shooter.  I've also enjoyed several of the Pendergast books by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child.

I'm currently working through Churchill's Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare by Giles Milton.  It's been a very good book so far.

ReplyQuote
Akm295
(@akm295)
Passerby Member
225 Brass
02/07/2019 1:45 pm  

I'm a book nerd in publishing, so my list is wide and high. But below are a few of my personal highlights:

Sci-Fi and Fantasy

The Thousand Names by Django Wexler - Flintlock fantasy with the vibe of Cornwell's Sharpe's series with a unique spin on magic. 1st book in a multi book series that only gets better as it goes on.

Leviathan Wakes by James SA Corey - Think detective noir in space with horror elements. Cultures and world building at a George RR Martin level of detail.  The first book in a really good series.

Into the Storm by Taylor Anderson - A WWII destroyer enters a squall and emerge on an alternate Earth where humans never evolved, but two other intelligent animal races have and are at war. Another 1st in a great series that gradually goes on in scale  from ship to ship combat to continent spanning campaigns.

On Basilisk Station by David Weber - Think Horatio Hornblower in space with a strong and believable female lead that rises through the ranks. A straightforward but fun space opera. 1st in a 14 book series that has been chugging along since '92.

Shooting Sports

Practical Shooting by Brian Enos - Others have mentioned it and it has been around forever for a good reason. It is a strange hybrid of both practical methods for approaching pistol marksmanship as well as the "wooey-wooey" side of the mental game. There is good info there, but it does demand a lot from you as a reader. I've read it multiple times and found new nuggets of info as I gained more experience over the years.

- Enos' book is the only one I can think off of the top of my head that I can recommend without any hesitation. I've got a ton of other books in the library that are more specialized, didn't age well but have been fun reads, or have specific sections that have valuable/practical . I'll poke around and see what I can find

This post was modified 2 weeks ago 2 times by Akm295

ReplyQuote

Thank you for coming by The Everyday Marksman. This site and its community are a labor of love. I hope you stick around for a while, and maybe even join us.

-Matt

\\\ Participate

COPYRIGHT © The Everyday Marksman

Adventure Awaits

+ Newsletter
+ New Content Alerts
+ Deals and Sales

Subscribe now

Let's Stay Connected

We can't Wait to Show You More

Working

Please Login or Register