FUNdamental Skill C...

FUNdamental Skill Check  

RSS

MichaelThomas
(@michaelthomas)
Passerby Community Founder
259 Brass
03/06/2019 9:46 am  

My wife and I attended a concealed carry introduction at a local gun range recently. We have had permits for over 10 years, but there's never any harm learning about updates to the laws in your state or just being reminded about what you can or can't do, should or shouldn't do, etc.

Obviously, the last 20 minutes or so of the class was a presentation of the courses the range teaches. One was based on shooting a business card in half, and ultimately costs a fair amount of money.

The setup: Using a knife, you cut a slit in a piece of cardboard backing, slip the card into it, and start shooting at it. FYI, the range sets the distance between 5-7 feet, typical close encounter distance for self-defense.

The takeaway: Shooting at the edge of a business card, to the exclusion of the rest of the target, is a remarkable way of focusing on what you and the gun are doing. My wife and I went shooting yesterday and tried it with our daughter and a friend of hers. In just a few minutes, with a single magazine, both split their cards. Neither are exceptionally good shooters, but they realized how all they saw was the business card. And they had FUN doing it.

Sometimes the targets we shoot give us too much to shoot at, resulting in shots all over the target. You need to become a "paper waster," just shooting a small portion of the paper and leaving the rest untouched!

Matt
 Matt
(@matt)
Practitioner Admin
9679 Brass
Challenges:
03/06/2019 8:07 pm  

This sounds like a really great exercise, thanks for sharing.

So was the business card just perched on top of the cardboard? Was it positioned in landscape or portrait mode?

"Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

ReplyQuote
Sunshine Shooter
(@sunshine-shooter)
Engaged Member Author
1524 Brass
04/06/2019 10:48 am  

I read this as basically splitting the card in half at 3 yards.

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement"

progunmillennial.wordpress.com

ReplyQuote

Thank you for coming by The Everyday Marksman. This site and its community are a labor of love. I hope you stick around for a while, and maybe even join us.

-Matt

\\\ Participate

COPYRIGHT © The Everyday Marksman

Adventure Awaits

+ Newsletter
+ New Content Alerts
+ Deals and Sales

Subscribe now

Let's Stay Connected

We can't Wait to Show You More

Please Login or Register