The Everyday Marksman

Community Hub

\\\ The Forum

What shooting posit...

What shooting position do you struggle with the most?  

RSS

Matt
 Matt
(@matt)
Practitioner Admin
10662 Brass
Challenges:
11/10/2019 7:13 am  

I'm curious where you guys are at on this one. What's the shooting position you have the most trouble with? For me, it's kneeling. Being accurate from the standing is always a challenge, so I expect that, but kneeling for me seems unnecessarily difficult to remain stable. Maybe it's the shape of my body and length of limbs. I MUCH prefer switching to squatting when I can.

How about you? Maybe I'll throw a poll up.

"Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

John_Simpson
(@john_simpson)
Member Subject Matter Expert
701 Brass
12/10/2019 12:18 am  
Posted by: @matt

kneeling for me seems unnecessarily difficult to remain stable.

I take it that my latest book hasn't helped you in this regard? 😉

This post was modified 1 month ago by John_Simpson

Pete liked
ReplyQuote
Sunshine Shooter
(@sunshine-shooter)
Engaged Member Author
2106 Brass
Challenges: emergency shelter challenge level 1
12/10/2019 12:26 pm  

Sitting.  I don't know why, but my knees are way too low for me to rest my elbows on.  I actually find the stack-foot sitting easier for me than any traditional sitting position.

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement"

progunmillennial.wordpress.com

ReplyQuote
Robby
(@robby)
Passerby Member
122 Brass
13/10/2019 8:42 am  

Prone. I have a fused ankle with a rod and plate so it’s hard to get it flat and I have to modify it a bit

kneeling is not a great position but fast.  Squatting is better but most in the wets can’t squat and keep their heels on the ground. I can’t either. So I cheat ; I use boots with a taller heel.

Someday. That’s a dangerous word. It’s really just a code for ‘never’.

ReplyQuote
Czfan10101
(@czfan10101)
Member Member
394 Brass
13/10/2019 10:46 am  

Standing is hardest.  Funny but, I feel the most stable kneeling.  Injuries cause difficulties in the prone also.

ReplyQuote
DarkLordOfOptics
(@darklordofoptics)
Member Community Founder
273 Brass
13/10/2019 9:10 pm  
Posted by: @matt

I'm curious where you guys are at on this one. What's the shooting position you have the most trouble with? For me, it's kneeling. Being accurate from the standing is always a challenge, so I expect that, but kneeling for me seems unnecessarily difficult to remain stable. Maybe it's the shape of my body and length of limbs. I MUCH prefer switching to squatting when I can.

How about you? Maybe I'll throw a poll up.

For me, kneeling and squatting are the most difficult.  Part of that is that my right knee has been giving me trouble, so I have not been practicing these very much.  It seems to be getting a little better, so I am slowly rebuilding its range of motion.  I plan to put in a little more work as it gets better.

Most of my shooting is either prone or offhand.  I would say that that 55% of my practice is prone, 40% is offhand and the rest is standing and sitting.  I sorta had a rude awakening with the level of my shooting offhand a couple of years ago, so I have really been focusing on that.

With sitting, I mostly use the quick open legged sitting position.  Cross ankle does not work for me for some reason and cross-legged is kinda slow to get into for me.

I have tried shooting stack foot per Todd's suggestion a while back, but I am probably 40 pounds away from doing that succesfully.

ILya

www.darklordofoptics.com

“A harmless man is not a good man. A good man is a very dangerous man who has that under voluntary control.” -Jordan Peterson

ReplyQuote
Akm295
(@akm295)
Member Member
579 Brass
14/10/2019 7:59 am  

I’m still struggling with traditional standing/offhand . It will always be challenging due its lack of support, but I just don’t feel confident with my form or sling use when I get to the line and try to line up shots. It’s also my least used and least practiced position so I need to just practice more and read up on the form.

ReplyQuote
Jerry
(@rto-jerry)
Engaged Member Community Founder
999 Brass
Challenges:
22/10/2019 6:47 am  

@akm295

Same here, it is the offhand shooting. My good scores at service rifle are 70-75 with A2 irons. I can easily drop into the 45 range with the M1 Garand. I can't seem to get a good steady and consistent hold and it is surely a mental game when stepping to the line. I am bleeding points in off hand and each match I find myself coaching oneself to get busy with live fire and dry fire practicing the off hand only to resort to prone shooting majority of the time. This off hand mind game is whipping me like a school yard bully. It is a mental hurdle that will likely carry on into 2020, unless I deal with it post haste. We got few of the shooters who consistently are at 89 - 92 with the M1 Garand in off hand, amazing skill!

PS sitting used to be by enemy as well. Until I tackled the fat F#$@ syndrome and dealt with the ample midsection. 4 minute flat belly workout is your friend. 😉

This post was modified 4 weeks ago 2 times by Jerry

ReplyQuote

Thank you for coming by The Everyday Marksman. This site and its community are a labor of love. I hope you stick around for a while, and maybe even join us.

-Matt

\\\ Participate

COPYRIGHT © The Everyday Marksman

Adventure Awaits

+ Newsletter
+ New Content Alerts
+ Deals and Sales

Subscribe now

Let's Stay Connected

We can't Wait to Show You More

Please Login or Register