The Everyday Marksman

Community Hub

\\\ The Forum

Sig 320 or Glock 19...

Sig 320 or Glock 19?  

RSS

Looking for feedback.  Both pistols have great aftermarket support.  But still undecided. Which platform would you go with and why? Both platforms offer a option for optics.  Would you skip the option for optics all together?   I am leaning towards the optics option and adding it later.

@ammo461

They have a different grip angle, so you kinda need to shoot both and see which is more comfortable for you. I learned to shoot with the Glock and the simplicity of its design makes it easy to work on. However, stock P320 does have a better trigger and interchangeable frames. I have a good number of guns that I enjoy shooting, but my primary is a Glock. Partly because I am so familiar with it and partly because the paranoic in me likes the fact that I have enough spare parts to keep on hand to keep my Glocks running for a few human generations. Had I been starting now, I do not know what I would have gone with, but I have on regrets about going with Glock originally.
Whichever way you go, definitely get one set-up for optics. There are a good reasons for that. I did an article on that for G&A's Pistol magazine. I think it is still on the newsstands.

ILya
www.darklordofoptics.com

Thanks for the insight. And I will pick a copy up today

@ammo461

A Glock is the number one choice IMO due to cost , reliability, availability of parts and mags. It was not that long ago that ammo was hard to find as well as mags. I could find it trade for Glock 19 mags but Sig 226 ? For get it. Not even via trades. So for myself I will always have a Glock first and foremost.

6 Answers

BLUF: If at all possible, go to a range and run some timed drills with both. Do something like the 5x5 if you are not very experienced shooting a pistol or something like the FAST if you are. Of course, if you are experienced, you probably already have something specific in mind for evaluating the platforms. I think that a shooter needs to see how they actually perform on a given task under time pressure to determine which platform is best. How a model feels, even when shooting it casually, does not necessarily positively correlate with how you will be able to perform with it. There is at least one caveat to this. If you don't have fairly solid fundamental skills, the data collected from this exercise will be suspect and could lead to a less then optimal decision.

Additional opinions: I have both, am a factory certified armorer for both (Glock 18 years, P320 5 years), and have used both extensively in training classes and practice. Yesterday in a class I ran an early production P320 that I forgot to send in for the drop safety mod until last month and just got back last week. It ran great, and the experience reminded me of how much I like the ergonomics of the platform. That said, I have many tens of thousands of rounds through Glock 17s and 19s, and would take a Gen 5 17, 19, or 45 over a P320 if choosing one for duty or as a CCW. All I would do is soften the edge of the trigger guard, and change the sighting system. I have never liked the way Glocks feel in my hands (especially after long days on the range), but with consistent practice, I have always been able to perform at the level I wanted to with them. While that is also true with a P320, I can't say that is the case with something like a P226. The reason I give the Glock the edge is the simplicity and durability of the design.

Regarding optics, for me, optics are now essential. Heck, I have different progressive lens prescriptions for working at a keyboard versus general use. Being able to focus on the front sight is a distant memory. While I also have bilateral astigmatisms (mild), and therefore have to deal with an RMR dot looking like a bunch of grapes, for me it is a vastly superior process to put the center grape on a the target with a target focus instead of having to worry about shifting between three focal lengths, with two that I can't see clearly, using iron sights.

I do not like the Glock MOS. There are ways to make it more durable (e.g., CHPWS plates), and I recommend that route if you go with an MOS model. Overall, I think that the newish Agency system (Agency Optic System AOS), or going to ATEi to have pro cut milling done are better options. In my opinion, this is also true for the P320 / M17. I would go with a custom milling job from someone like Parker Mountain Machine (unless things have changed, I don't recall Agency or ATEi doing work on P320s) over the factory system.

Full disclosure.   I haven’t handled either platform.  A trip to the range and renting both pistols is in the works.

@ammo461

There is a lot of personal "feel" that goes into whether a pistol will work for you. I think you are 100% on the right path with getting actual trigger time behind both options and not just handling time at a gun counter. It might also be worth getting time behind some other options as well if they have a variety to rent. Go with what you shoot best. I personally would put a pistol mounted red dot as a low priority when looking at a new service pistol. A few hundred bucks towards a red dot could go toward ammo, mags, and range fees to help you build your proficiency. I know its not a sexy answer, just my two cents.

IMO see which one you like from the range trip and go with that option. The two are honestly so close in every regard that it really doesn’t matter from a technical perspective.

Personally, I’ve never enjoyed shooting Glocks. I was debating between a P320 compact and M&P 2.0 compact, which is a very similar conundrum (the P320 won out, but the purchase is on hold while I use the funds to instead send my CZ to get worked over)

"Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

@matt

+1 for improving the guns you have instead of just getting another one.

To be fair, it wasn’t to replace my CZ. I wanted something different to fill the striker fired 9mm niche in my safe. That spot has been occupied by my FNS-9, but the lack of support for it (especially with the FN 509 relaxing it in the lineup), and latest round of safety issues with it, I just wanted to trust something different.

A range rental of both for comparison is always a good idea.  You may consider adding in the M&P while you're at it; the new M2.0 Compact is dimensionally similar to a G19.

Internet reputations may be one thing, but cold hard data is another.

Go shoot both, but no matter which one you get the optics compatible one just in case you do want to upgrade letter.  That way you're not looking at the significant cost of having to get something machined later or even buy a new slide.

I'm with the other in regards to optics, buy ammo & training.  Optic later.

#1: Pursue the red dot.  The dot moving around in that window will give you more feedback than the irons will, allowing you to get better faster.  Trying to learn irons first (in my opinion) will just slow you down.  You can always learn irons later.  This applies to pistols and rifles for me.

As for the P320 vs G19, I'd lean towards the Sig.  The Sig's grip module swapability means that you can do a lot of risky stuff with a maximum of $40 at risk.  Want to try a stippling company?  $40 to replace.  Want to have an FDE grip?  $40 to replace.  Anything you do to a Glock's grip is permanent to that gun.  The Glock has a lower bore axis, which I fully believe is a real consideration though you may not care.  I would also suggest looking intot he M&P 2.0 and/or a CZ P-07, but that's because I have a personal affinity for them.

Just find out which one feels better and shoots better in your hands.  Do not force yourself into a Glock if you shoot the Sig better.  If you actually like and shoot the Glock better than the P320, then it is the gun you should pursue.  No matter which you get, get a red dot for it.

This post was modified 2 months ago by Sunshine Shooter

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement"

progunmillennial.wordpress.com

"No matter which you get, get a red dot for it."
Unless you have an astigmatism like I do. Red dots look like crap to me.

@sunshine-shooter

That’s a great point about grips! Never thought about it. I am from the old school of irons first. Then optics. Never thought about going with optics first.

@Pete I have astigmatism. No dots are crisp, but they still allow a target focus instead of a front sight focus. I just ignore the bloom and halo and designate the center dot to be my aiming point.

Thank you for coming by The Everyday Marksman. This site and its community are a labor of love. I hope you stick around for a while, and maybe even join us.

-Matt

\\\ Participate

COPYRIGHT © The Everyday Marksman

Adventure Awaits

+ Newsletter
+ New Content Alerts
+ Deals and Sales

Subscribe now

Let's Stay Connected

We can't Wait to Show You More

Please Login or Register