The Everyday Marksman

Community Hub

\\\ The Forum

Team Everyday Marks...

Team Everyday Marksmen?  

RSS

I'm inspired by all the rucking and challenges everybody has brought up around here lately. I have some relatively loose physical goals to achieve in the next year and I have found that by setting a goal, like going to one of these ruck/shoot competitions, I'm way more focused. Even more so if I'm on a team and I'm accountable to it, for pulling my own weight.

Would anyone be interested in one of these events, making an Everyday Marksmen Team (if Matt approved, if not, something less formal) and competing?

I've got no idea about these competitions and what they entail other than they're a challenge and often involve rucking, camping and shooting stuff...and I like all three.

Thoughts?

6 Answers

I love the sentiment, maybe try to plan a meet up and shoot at big regional match or say something like Desert Brutality 2021?

It has been mentioned before, but perhaps an informal range day and group dinner after might be more feasible?

The logistics, expenses, and travel for either option is a nightmare with people all over the country. But it is probably worth looking again at if there is enough interest.

"There are some who call us... TEM." 😉

"It is an enormous simplification to speak of the American mind. Every American has his own mind." -Ludwig von Mises (Theory and History)
"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert A. Heinlein (The Moon is a Harsh Mistress)
"Those who are in love with practice without knowledge are like the sailor who gets into a ship without rudder or compass and who never can be certain [where] he is going. Practice must always be founded on sound theory." -Leonardo da Vinci (#19 Of the Mistakes made By Those Who Practice Without Knowledge)

I concur with @akm295.

Internet reputations may be one thing, but cold hard data is another.

Alrighty then. Sounds like there is some interest. In my mind there are a few components to this:

1. Finances - we need time to budget for this: travel, ammo, if its a competition the entry fee, ancillary costs
2. Fitness - time to get up to speed for the challenge at hand. Strength, speed and endurance
3. Practice - trigger time for the platform used, rucking skills, wilderness/camping skills
4. Communication - open, honest communication about expectations and capabilities
5. The Event - whether we meet up or actually go to compete...preferably both!

These kinds of things, as I'm sure you all have experienced, tend to fall completely apart when people are excited but not honest about what they're willing to do. Combined with the fact that life happens, people are born, die, get married, get sick, get sick of being married, whatever...things happen.

I am prepared to put in the gym time, ruck and trigger time. I have the cash on hand to cover a $1500 expenditure for travel and logistics if we put something together in mid 2020-2021.

I will let someone else pick the event as I'm not knowledgeable about them and am short on time for the next few weeks.

Thoughts, gentlemen?

This post was modified 3 weeks ago by Cutright

@cutright "These kinds of things, as I'm sure you all have experienced, tend to fall completely apart when people are excited but not honest about what they're willing to do."

That reminds me of the most important lesson from Operation EAGLE CLAW: "Don’t Confuse Enthusiasm With Capability".

I probably won't be joining you guys unless you come up here to the best state.

@cutright @Pete

If by best state you mean Texas. Family and finances for me would prevent me from traveling outside of Texas. But I could realistically drive anywhere near the Texas Triangle to meet for a match with enough planning. Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, Austin, College Station area.

@cutright @akm265

I've been looking at the monthly North Texas Multi-Gun matches for a while; haven't made it out yet, but that's easily low hanging fruit for me as I'm in Shreveport and that's near DFW.

I'm all for it 🙂

The name might be long, though. We could use something shortened like one of the things I asked about earlier in the year, like "Marksman Posse"

The full name could show up as a URL on a shirt or something.

I guess that means I have to get around to getting some swag made, huh?

This post was modified 4 weeks ago by Matt

"Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

@matt

Well, there *could* be a desire for PVC badges for challenges accomplished.

I'd love to do that, honestly. Trouble is fronting the cost right now. I know that you know patch companies require minimum production runs. I have to figure that for each challenge, only a small percent are going to attempt it and succeed. An even smaller percentage of that would spend the money on a patch. To make this work, there needs to be a lot more participation.

We'll get there eventually, though.

In regards to a name, I think there are two distinctions to made here. I do prefer "tribe" for the general community here, listeners and members. For this specific challenge I would like to see something like Team EDM. Maybe even go so far as Alpha Team EDM for the first go and if there's a second, Bravo Team EDM...there's 26 years of participation there and a way to distinguish the event.

@cutright

Agreed with the team aspect. EDM ias other connotations as an acronym (Electronic Dance Music), but we can do. Something simple like "Everyday Marksmen" <-- not the plural on that one.

Team Marksman, "Team Morgan's Marksmen" (good historical context), something along those lines?

Your Support Matters

The Everyday Marksman uses Ko-Fi to help fund our activities. If you like what you get here, then we'd appreciate your support. Supporting the site includes several perks you can't get anywhere else.
Buy a Round

\\\ Latest Articles

Thank you for coming by The Everyday Marksman. This site and its community are a labor of love. I hope you stick around for a while, and maybe even join us.

-Matt

\\\ Participate

COPYRIGHT © The Everyday Marksman

Adventure Awaits

+ Newsletter
+ New Content Alerts
+ Deals and Sales

Subscribe now

Let's Stay Connected

We can't Wait to Show You More

Please Login or Register