The Everyday Marksman

Community Hub

\\\ The Forum

What is your ideal ...

What is your ideal training progression?  

RSS

If you were just starting out today, but knowing everything you know now...what would be your order of operation? What progression would you follow from "total newb" to "experienced shooter?"

"Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

5 Answers

Assuming I’m back at square one with nothing....

Buy a ONE good quality pistol (glock/m&p/sig), buy ONE good ar15 with an aimpoint.   Get good holster & sling.  Buy no other guns or accessories, buy a ton of ammo & mags for them.

Next step would be to find a local trainer or two and try for a class every other month, start shooting matches monthly.  Once I’d master the basics of the platforms I’d be finding new regional trainers,  get better, find national level multi day courses to start attending.

I actually ran the numbers of everything Ive bought the other day ( I don’t advise you do it, it’s an eye opener) and the rough outline above would be very doable  if you don’t buy a ton of guns and gear.

A man after my own heart. Buy that one good weapon, the minimum required accessories, and get to work with practice and training. It's funny how often that seems to be the refrain of people who've been at this for a while.

I would actually be scared to tally up the numbers of everything I've done over the years.

It was your blog that made me realize this when I started reading it. Since the blog I've pretty much sworn off buying more guns (except for my ar pistol). I've invested mostly in ammo and am on track to go to 5 matches this year (4 pistol, 1 rifle). I've also gotten more serious about getting some sort of LBE & ways to carry my gear.

The only thing I'd change or do differently is get two of each weapon, both for redundancy and legal reasons, but your's is a solid approach.

For starters, go to a range where I can test fire pistols, and after several visits, decide what pistol to buy based on best feel, accuracy, trigger and without bias (it would've been an M&P in 2008, not the XD . . .something I didn't learn until 2013ish).  I'd probably go 9mm or .45ca; the latter if I wanted to continue the 1911 track.  Whatever the pistol series is, I'd buy a full size and a compact size for home defense and carry respectively.  Both would be used for training, and both must be able to take the full size magazine.

Speaking of training, I would make time for more pistol courses, as well as first aid, culminating in force-on-force simualtions.  Fundamentals and medical courses are skills I'd need to revist at least once a year. I would always take two weapons to train, since machines can break.

For rifles, I'd still buy the M1, maybe the M1A, and two mid-length 16-inch AR uppers with FSBs (maybe a full rifle for one of these).  I'd also buy a Colt (S&W if I couldn't find it Colt) AR-15A4 (A2 if I could find it).  The 20-inch would be an irons-only gun.  The mid-length uppers would be scoped with one ACOG and one Aimpoint PRO-type optic.  I would not foray into building ARs at all, except for maybe building another lower to get two.  This would give me three uppers and two lowers eventually.  After that, funds and time goes to magazines, bulk ammunition and training. I would still test accuracy to determine the best load for the barrels.

For competitions, I'd continue to find ranges that offer Garand matches or other service rifle matches.  I'd look for and get involved in pistol matches that apply what I've learned in training, eventually looking for multi-gun matches, preferably those that don't requrie the shotgun component.  Had I started this way in North Dakota in 2010, I possibly could've made run-n-gun biathalons while still living in Texas before 2015.  Post 2015, I'd make good on my intent to hunt; I'd probably do away with any type of ballistic defense, and pursue the British style of load bearing (belt kit).  For hunting, I would pursue night vision as well.

I don't know that I would still go down the milsurp bolt-action collection route, and I wouldn't bother with a large frame AR at all.

Internet reputations may be one thing, but cold hard data is another.

That all sounds like some very specific advice learned over time and mistakes. It's actually kind of interesting how close your collection sounds to mine.

There have been some definite lessons learned, a few missed opportunities and several regrets in things I did and didn't do.

The past year I have been buying  and selling too much gear! Need to just settle in (one KISS set up and 1 LPVO) limiting the AR platform at the most and know their dope inside and out. Example had a 20 inch Del-ton A4 that was dialed in rock steady set up with RIBZ BZO she was good to go from 25 to 300 yards with irons using both XM855 and M193 ammo. Spent all that time working her to trust level only to sell her off. Just had to have that A2 build, now this spring my scores have dropped at service rifle from lower 400's down into 350-370 range learning to get settled in on the new rifle configuration while at the same time trying to work up loads for an FN A4 I "just had to have". The A2 is in the shop with a bad front sight cant : / Time to STOP!! Master one rifle and just keep progressing from that point onward would be far better time served at the range, in energy, in confidence of the rifle and for sure confidence in ones work at the range. Marketing bug sucked me into a black hole now it is time to get out of that line of thinking. If you are starting out keep things simple, stay off the forums that influence you to buy and chime in on forums which encourage perfecting what you have in your arsenal. I am learning a valued lesson this summer that 3 AR's is well past my time needed to master 3 platforms. One has got to go. "2 is one" and need to be happy with that mindset. Learning from one's mistakes is great teacher.

This is an interesting discussion for sure. I've just in the last year started to become more focused and goal oriented in my shooting. I've started competing and took my first carbine/pistol class. I'm currently gearing up for a dedicated pistol class.
Looking back, I'd have bought a complete AR from a reputable manufacturer rather than building several on a budget as I did. I would have then stuck with HK USP compact 9mm that was my first concealed carry handgun rather than trading it and going through several handguns.
I would have bought bulk ammo and a dozen mags for each, a really good sling and holster, and then taken several pistol classes (make sense to me because I carry it everyday). Followed by several rifle/carbine classes. Would have waited to invest in an optic. While I appreciate Aimpoints,I'd have preferred to take my formal instruction with irons. Plus, that cost would have paid for 2x one-day classes and I probably would have still gone down the same route with LPVO's which I greatly prefer, but it took experience to learn that.

I have no doubt I would have been much better off financially.

If I had it all to do over again, I would do exactly what I have done with the exception of gear. I sought training with a good organization and progressed in this order:

Basics of Tactical Shooting (BOTS) - an intro really that covers basics of pistol, weapon manipulation and an intro to shooting and moving
Pistol 1
Pistol 2
Carbine 1
Carbine 2
CQB 1
CQB 2
Land Warfare 1
Land Warfare 2
Pistol 3
Carbine 3
CQB3
Land Warfare 3
Active Shooter - Public Area Threat
Low Light/No Light Tactics
Combat Lifesaver 1
Combat Lifesaver 2
Force on Force 1
Force on Force 2
Force on Force 3
Travel in Hostile Environments - Nonpermissable Environements
Precision Rifle 1

Wash Rinse REPEAT

The Force on Force classes revealed to me just how big of a softy I am. I realized that if I was with my significant other, I'd pull a gun without hesitation but if I was by myself I'd much more likely just surrender my wallet. It was also the first time I had to reckon with killing someone, or rather as close to ending a life as I've been. It was not a gung-ho, I'm a badass experience and I left with quite a disorientated perspective for a few days.

Anyway, the training was squared away but as I evolved I had settled into different gear and realized real needs from what I had gathered independently. I've never regretted choosing a Glock, for sure. The first time your pistol is put into pieces and you have to race to a barrel and assemble it and put shots on target (all as a stress riser), you don't regret the simplicity of a Glock. I've had good luck with PSA AR-15's all around and so have others who shoot them.

Things like a quality holster and chestrig and all the other stuff has made a smaller but definite impact on the training results. I could have shaved off $2000 easy by settling on what I have now over the evolutions I went through.

Why do you advocate a person get so much training before taking a force-on-force class?

I don't. Force on force was just way down the pipeline for me personally. Its conflict, hands on sometimes, a lot of scenarios and I wanted to enter that situation with confidence. Also, I just reread my post and I didn't take them that late in the game.

To clarify, because you asked a great question, I personally took them later on because I was very unsure of who I am/was in that situation and I wanted some muscle memory behind the decision making process. And I died a lot due to being nice and not being aggressive. I also was not full of bravado and didn't amp up for the class like a lot of guys do. I'm a thick guy who tends to get noticed for body language and width of shoulders but I'm a pretty easy going and gentle guy...I wanted see what they threw out and learn about aggressive behavior, the queues and decision making process. And it helped. A lot.

Thank you for coming by The Everyday Marksman. This site and its community are a labor of love. I hope you stick around for a while, and maybe even join us.

-Matt

\\\ Participate

COPYRIGHT © The Everyday Marksman

Adventure Awaits

+ Newsletter
+ New Content Alerts
+ Deals and Sales

Subscribe now

Let's Stay Connected

We can't Wait to Show You More

Please Login or Register