RSS

Matt
 Matt
(@matt)
Practitioner Admin
11318 Brass
Challenges:
14/08/2019 2:39 pm  

Consider this a poll of the group: do you carry a first aid/trauma kit to the range with you? What about your daily life?

What kinds of things do you keep in the kit? Do you have any training on how to use your first aid supplies?

"Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

Jerry
(@rto-jerry)
Engaged Member Community Founder
1002 Brass
Challenges:
15/08/2019 8:05 am  

Yes, for sure and have been for past two years. You just never know when 300 blackout will show up and chamber that round into .223. That occurred on the 300 yard range last July. Mr. 300 black looked to have soiled himself and well understood. Thank God nobody was hurt in that incident. I was not on the line at the time (in parking lot) but spoke with the couple who were. They were visibly stressed. Never know when murphy will show up unexpectedly.

I keep the IFAK with me daily ever since the Vegas Harvest Fest shooting. Sad to say we live in the "days of Noah" violence unfortunately is in the land.

Trained on the kit by local Meds1 service.

IFAK list:

Tourniquet

Elastic Bandage kit

Bandage GA - 1/2 100's

Surgical tape

Airway kit

4 surgical gloves

Combat gauze

2 tampons, 2 maxi-pad (effective for plugging bullet holes, very absorbent)

Assorted bandages

Ibuprofen

Cutright liked
ReplyQuote
xsquidgator
(@xsquidgator)
Member Member
1208 Brass
Challenges:
15/08/2019 10:25 am  

I take an IFAK to the range and have one in my EDC bag.

I do pretty well at checking the boxes of having an IFAK and carrying it around, and even in getting some training, but... the last class I took was humbling as it showed me I'd been taking it kind of for granted that just having the stuff meant I was good to go.  In the class we took a look at what we already had and I was chagrined to see several problems in my stuff that had been there a long long time and I'd never noticed because the kit just sat there.  Among other things, a packet of Celox had gotten a hole poked in it at some point and had leaked out over the inside of the little bag, plus it was ruined and wouldn't have been usable.

I've read what some highly-trained folks do and I'm trying to emulate them in having an IFAK on my person during range time.  I'm still building the habit of putting it on my belt when shooting and am not 100% on that, but am trying to get better.

Taking it even further, I think it makes sense to carry at least something medical, say at least a TQ if you're carrying concealed, but I am still working on attaining that level of squared-awayness.

This post was modified 4 months ago by xsquidgator

Cutright liked
ReplyQuote
Diceman624
(@diceman624)
Engaged Member Author
1873 Brass
15/08/2019 10:52 am  

As of current, I run Chinkook Medical kits; one IFAK and a Covert Trauma kit.  Each are currently mounted to one of my belt kits that frequent the outdoor range when I go.  With removable pouches, I can throw either into my range bag for the indoor range, but their bays have RCOs and a larger kit there.  After my first combat tour in 2016-2017, one of my main learning points was to deploy with some kind of IFAK.  Hence, I kept the covert kit in my work bag during my most recent deployment.  Both have CATs, and the IFAK has medical shears; I have a total of three CATs and one SOFTT-W.

As far as training goes, I've taken one course already (late 2017), but that course was the genesis of my question about former SOF being a marketing ploy; the course had decent info undercut by learning objectives which seemed to switch midway through the course.  I plan on taking a GoRuck medical course in November, and desire to keep medical training in my crosscheck at least once a year from here on.

Internet reputations may be one thing, but cold hard data is another.

Cutright liked
ReplyQuote
Sunshine Shooter
(@sunshine-shooter)
Engaged Member Author
2558 Brass
Challenges: emergency shelter challenge level 1
15/08/2019 11:14 am  

I do not.  I don't have one, or have any sort of training in how I would use one.

I really need to get that taken care of, but other things always seem more pressing at the time.

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement"

progunmillennial.wordpress.com

ReplyQuote
SigGuy
(@matt-2)
Passerby Community Founder
101 Brass
18/08/2019 2:58 pm  

Since administrative handling of firearms is one of the more dangerous things we shooters do, I always take a IFAK to the range.  At my public range, the other shooters do not always follow proper safety protocol.  I feel preparing for medical emergencies is as important as being prepared to defend myself.  As it has been stated already, gear is no replacement for training.

ReplyQuote
Matt
 Matt
(@matt)
Practitioner Admin
11318 Brass
Challenges:
19/08/2019 8:13 am  

@matt-2

This seems like the trend.

I also include an IFAK in my range bag from Chinook Med. The kit itself didn't come with a CAT TQ (just the SWAT style one), so I toss one of those in the bag as well. I've seen enough scary handling of firearms at public ranges that I'm just too weirded out to not have something just in case.

ReplyQuote
Czfan10101
(@czfan10101)
Member Member
394 Brass
09/10/2019 12:10 am  
Any recommendations for training, red cross sufficient?

ReplyQuote
Matt
 Matt
(@matt)
Practitioner Admin
11318 Brass
Challenges:
09/10/2019 8:44 am  
Posted by: @czfan10101
Any recommendations for training, red cross sufficient?

Red Cross is your basic first aid, IMO. It's not bad, but it's also not going to deal with GSW or other emergencies. I've always heard good things about Dark Angel Medical: https://darkangelmedical.com/

ReplyQuote
Pete
 Pete
(@pete)
Engaged Member Community Founder
1113 Brass
Challenges:
09/10/2019 2:33 pm  

@matt & @Czfan10101, For more widespread classes try Stop The Bleed. I have heard good things about them from other Appleseed instructors.

"It is an enormous simplification to speak of the American mind. Every American has his own mind." -Ludwig von Mises (Theory and History)
"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert A. Heinlein (The Moon is a Harsh Mistress)
"Those who are in love with practice without knowledge are like the sailor who gets into a ship without rudder or compass and who never can be certain [where] he is going. Practice must always be founded on sound theory." -Leonardo da Vinci (#19 Of the Mistakes made By Those Who Practice Without Knowledge)

ReplyQuote
DarkLordOfOptics
(@darklordofoptics)
Member Community Founder
273 Brass
13/10/2019 9:20 pm  

I have a first aid kit in the car and another in my range bag.

I once had a rifle blow up in my hands (faulty Sellior and Belot ammo), so I got kinda spooked.

I know the basics of how to do things (my wife is an NP and my brother is a doctor, so I am around medical people a lot), but a little more training would not hurt.  That is something I need to rectify.

ILya

www.darklordofoptics.com

“A harmless man is not a good man. A good man is a very dangerous man who has that under voluntary control.” -Jordan Peterson

ReplyQuote
Cutright
(@cutright)
Member Community Founder
855 Brass
21/11/2019 2:17 pm  

@matt-2

I have only been to a public range 3 times in the past 5 years. 2 of then were unmanned, so everyone is a range officer...and those places are the wild west with all the new shooters out there.

That is a dangerous place to be for sure. My friend warned me and I thought he was just a paranoid Marine...no, he was right and as soon as it got more than 30% full we were out of there.

ReplyQuote
Cutright
(@cutright)
Member Community Founder
855 Brass
21/11/2019 2:26 pm  

I carry a med kit in the car that does not include a tourniquet, and is more general in purpose.

On my gun belt is a kit. It's an HSGI belt kit that includes a SOFTT-W, gauze, duct tape and a 3.5" decompression needle. It's essentially a blowout kit.

Side note, I'm really glad this question was asked because out of the 20 or so guys I know that like to shoot, none of them carry a med kit and only 4 of them have combat experience and might know how to respond. I ask them all if they've considered it and they haven't but agree its needed. I really only began doing it because of the training...because accidents really do happen and if you're doing CQB training live, it's not unheard of for someone to catch one in the extremities (we did most of ours live in the higher level courses at AS but they've really went to Simunition so I hear). Getting hit with Simunition sucks too, it's like a hornet sting and paintball on bare skin.

ReplyQuote

Your Support Matters

The Everyday Marksman uses Ko-Fi to help fund our activities. If you like what you get here, then we'd appreciate your support. Supporting the site includes several perks you can't get anywhere else.
Buy a Round

\\\ Latest Articles

Thank you for coming by The Everyday Marksman. This site and its community are a labor of love. I hope you stick around for a while, and maybe even join us.

-Matt

\\\ Participate

COPYRIGHT © The Everyday Marksman

Adventure Awaits

+ Newsletter
+ New Content Alerts
+ Deals and Sales

Subscribe now

Let's Stay Connected

We can't Wait to Show You More

Please Login or Register