RSS

Matt
 Matt
(@matt)
Practitioner Admin
10137 Brass
Challenges:
17/05/2019 8:33 pm  

The survival skill topic is one I've been putting off until I can really bear down on it. I'm curious as to what kinds of things you guys are interested in hearing about, though.

My background is squarely in the camping and bushcraft realm, and even there I'm more of a dabbler than a full-blown enthusiast. I'd love to get more into it, time permitting, and I think it would make for some interesting stuff to talk about. But I also realize that those are the things I'm particularly interested in.

What about you guys? What kind of survival/bushcraft/tradecraft skills are you interested in?

"Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

Diceman624
(@diceman624)
Engaged Member Author
1589 Brass
20/05/2019 4:33 pm  

Reaching back to my SERE experience (Survival School for non-mil), I find I'm most intrigued by two subjects.  First, I think a healthy dose of land navigation without the use of a GPS to be an important, and very perishable skill.  In five years, my skill had atrophied by the time I needed it again during my station time on my ALO tour.

The other is camp cooking, but in a minimalist sense.  Reading up on the Falklands left me with the quest to understand how to sustain myself on a multi-day, austere environment with only what I could carry or forage for.

Internet reputations may be one thing, but cold hard data is another.

ReplyQuote
Matt
 Matt
(@matt)
Practitioner Admin
10137 Brass
Challenges:
20/05/2019 9:20 pm  
Posted by: Diceman624

Reaching back to my SERE experience (Survival School for non-mil), I find I'm most intrigued by two subjects.  First, I think a healthy dose of land navigation without the use of a GPS to be an important, and very perishable skill.  In five years, my skill had atrophied by the time I needed it again during my station time on my ALO tour.

The other is camp cooking, but in a minimalist sense.  Reading up on the Falklands left me with the quest to understand how to sustain myself on a multi-day, austere environment with only what I could carry or forage for.

Both great topics.

How minimalist are you talking on the cooking? Would a folding stove that fits in a pocket qualify? Only natural materials?

ReplyQuote
Diceman624
(@diceman624)
Engaged Member Author
1589 Brass
21/05/2019 11:37 am  

Right now, my only camp cooking stoves are a Jetboil (money for coffee during my time at Ft. Irwin in 2015) and a pocket esbit stove.  The Jetboil is honestly only good for heating or purifying water, and fuel takes up storage space.  The esbit stove was inspired by the use of such stoves by the British in the Falklands, and I wanted to see what could reasonably be done with it.  I so far only have a 475mL MSR pot to use with either.  The idea was to have a variety of experience by the time my son reaches backpacking age.

ReplyQuote
Sunshine Shooter
(@sunshine-shooter)
Engaged Member Author
1967 Brass
Challenges: emergency shelter challenge level 1
21/05/2019 3:35 pm  

I'm also interested in the camp cooking topic.  I'm a full grown, 6', 200lb man.  I have an idea of how much food I eat in a day, and I can't imagine going into the woods for a few days carrying all of that food with me, along with a tent, clothes, other camping supplies, etc.  I'm definitely missing something, I just don't know what it is.

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement"

progunmillennial.wordpress.com

ReplyQuote
Diceman624
(@diceman624)
Engaged Member Author
1589 Brass
22/05/2019 7:24 pm  

I forgot one more thing: survival/combat medicine.  After my first combat your, I realized that the Air Force buddy care training is insufficient, and I needed to look outside my service to find better training.

ReplyQuote
BDover
(@bdover)
Engaged Member Author
1394 Brass
24/05/2019 1:11 pm  

Navigation with a map & compass using Topo maps.  I for one haven't done anything like that since I was a kid in scouts and would like to learn more.    Also, maybe urban foraging?  Spots you would be able to find consumables in an urban/suburban environment.

ReplyQuote
Matt
 Matt
(@matt)
Practitioner Admin
10137 Brass
Challenges:
24/05/2019 6:50 pm  
Posted by: BDover

Navigation with a map & compass using Topo maps.  I for one haven't done anything like that since I was a kid in scouts and would like to learn more.    Also, maybe urban foraging?  Spots you would be able to find consumables in an urban/suburban environment.

This topic is soooooo high on my priority list to talk about. But I know it's going to take a healthy bit of research and practice before I can really write effectively about it.

ReplyQuote
BDover
(@bdover)
Engaged Member Author
1394 Brass
26/05/2019 9:48 am  

If funds allow I’m  going to do the goruck Constellation event this fall. Not necessarily navigation, but a primer on mindset.  Since I live just on the outskirts of a metro area this should be a good starting point.

ReplyQuote
Matt
 Matt
(@matt)
Practitioner Admin
10137 Brass
Challenges:
31/05/2019 6:50 am  
Posted by: BDover

If funds allow I’m  going to do the goruck Constellation event this fall. Not necessarily navigation, but a primer on mindset.  Since I live just on the outskirts of a metro area this should be a good starting point.

That sounds great. There's one coming up in Baltimore at the end of July I could get to, but that's veeerrrry close to the little one being born so it's probably not a good idea for me. I almost did one of the navigator events before, but missed out. It seems like they changed the name to Expedition, though there aren't any scheduled.

ReplyQuote
BDover
(@bdover)
Engaged Member Author
1394 Brass
31/05/2019 10:40 am  

I'm in central Ohio & there is one in  Columbus about 30 min from me & I'm pretty sure the cadre goes to my gym.... I feel almost obligated to go.

I'd love to do the Expedition or Immersion ones.   I think the GoRuck events are a good test to see where you are in your training.  I did a light last summer and found it to be pretty easy, now I need to step my game up and try something harder.

ReplyQuote

Thank you for coming by The Everyday Marksman. This site and its community are a labor of love. I hope you stick around for a while, and maybe even join us.

-Matt

\\\ Participate

COPYRIGHT © The Everyday Marksman

Adventure Awaits

+ Newsletter
+ New Content Alerts
+ Deals and Sales

Subscribe now

Let's Stay Connected

We can't Wait to Show You More

Please Login or Register