Night Hiking as a N...

Night Hiking as a Night Land Nav Primer  

RSS

Diceman624
(@diceman624)
Engaged Member Author
1408 Brass
26/06/2019 9:51 am  

In conjunction with my purchase of a night vision device a couple months ago, I've been thinking about ways to get out and move around with it.  I figured I could also dust off some land navigation fundimentals at the same time.  The idea would be to pre-divide a short trail into different waypoints, then, using a pre-established pace number, validate my land navigation abilities by attempting to not bust the trail confines.  In a sense, the trail confines act as a safety net.  All of this would be under red light or NVDs, and probably has a better chance of avoiding suspicion than wandering around my neighborhood pre-dawn with a helmet, NVD, my training ruck and one of my two dogs.

Has anyone else applied night hiking to land navigation training?  How would you rate it as a training tool?

Internet reputations may be one thing, but cold hard data is another.

Matt
 Matt
(@matt)
Practitioner Admin
9231 Brass
Challenges:
26/06/2019 12:08 pm  

I haven’t,’but it sounds reasonable. I know GoRuck was doing that for a while in their Navigator events. They had a land bag course set up over a large wooded area, and participants had to individually navigate it at night.

Apparently it it was quite the learning experience for those who did it.

"Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

ReplyQuote
Jayclimber
(@jayclimber)
Member Member
275 Brass
26/06/2019 10:52 pm  

I love night hikes! Its something I do religiously with my Scouts. Its something I've kind of become known for.

Back to night land navigation... This is definitly an area that takes lots of time to develope a knack for it. At night, specifically under red light or NVG's, you lose sense of time, distance, surroundings, and awareness. Pateol the same tract of land during tje day and then do it at night and you'll see what I mean. Navigating by map and compass becomes much more difficult because you cant shoot a bearing, triangulation becauses next to impossible, and land features disappear. So you need to rely on map orientation, pace counts, micro terrain features/landmarks, and planning of waypoints.

So is night hiking a good training tool for night timevland navigation? Absolutely! It can be the easiest or maybe the most dangerous time to travel so being proficient at it is a must have skill to have in ones bag!

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."
--Samuel Adams

ReplyQuote
Jayclimber
(@jayclimber)
Member Member
275 Brass
26/06/2019 10:58 pm  
Posted by: Diceman624

In conjunction with my purchase of a night vision device a couple months ago, I've been thinking about ways to get out and move around with it.  I figured I could also dust off some land navigation fundimentals at the same time.  The idea would be to pre-divide a short trail into different waypoints, then, using a pre-established pace number, validate my land navigation abilities by attempting to not bust the trail confines.  In a sense, the trail confines act as a safety net.

This is a great way to start testing your abilities! The more comfortable you get with moving at night the bigger advantage you will have!

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."
--Samuel Adams

ReplyQuote
Diceman624
(@diceman624)
Engaged Member Author
1408 Brass
27/06/2019 10:12 am  

My singular night land nav experience was in central Texas, where everything went okay until we got into brush.  NVGs and brush didn't mix well and I almost ended up falling down a steep incline.  Without trees or brush, in open terrain, I was still able to discern some terrain features at distance, so I'm more focused on short movements under a forest canopy under NVG.

But yes, I've noticed that even when driving, places look very different at night.

ReplyQuote
Nick_
(@nick_)
Member Community Founder
272 Brass
29/06/2019 12:46 pm  

That is defiantly something I want to try! I have done some stuff in the dark but not nearly enough to really learn the terrain. Would you have any recommendations or comments for one who doesn't have NVG?

“While people laugh at me because I’m different, I laugh at them because they’re all the same.”

ReplyQuote
Diceman624
(@diceman624)
Engaged Member Author
1408 Brass
29/06/2019 3:40 pm  

You could always try hiking with a red headlight, by chem light only or open terrain with just your natural night vision.  I'd go on a full moon for any of those first.

ReplyQuote
Nick_
(@nick_)
Member Community Founder
272 Brass
01/07/2019 11:46 pm  

Gotcha, that makes sense!

“While people laugh at me because I’m different, I laugh at them because they’re all the same.”

ReplyQuote

Thank you for coming by The Everyday Marksman. This site and its community are a labor of love. I hope you stick around for a while, and maybe even join us.

-Matt

\\\ Participate

COPYRIGHT © The Everyday Marksman

Adventure Awaits

+ Newsletter
+ New Content Alerts
+ Deals and Sales

Subscribe now

Let's Stay Connected

We can't Wait to Show You More

Working

Please Login or Register