RSS

Matt
 Matt
(@matt)
Practitioner Admin
11318 Brass
Challenges:
16/07/2019 5:25 pm  

Anyone here into off-roading? I hesitate to use the trendy "Overland" phrase, but that's basically what I'm talking about. It's something I've long been interested in, and kind of regretted the loss of that vision when I got rid of my Jeep a while back. I'm considering a 4Runner in the next couple years, and with that the opportunity to do some more exploring.

"Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

Sunshine Shooter
(@sunshine-shooter)
Engaged Member Author
2558 Brass
Challenges: emergency shelter challenge level 1
16/07/2019 10:09 pm  

What's the issue with using the term 'overlanding'?

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement"

progunmillennial.wordpress.com

ReplyQuote
Matt
 Matt
(@matt)
Practitioner Admin
11318 Brass
Challenges:
17/07/2019 7:09 am  
Posted by: @sunshine-shooter

Nothing's really wrong with it, per se. It's just become very trendy and a lot of the offroad folks are avoiding using it. Though I suppose it's better description of what I'm interested in. I don't really care to go rock crawling or desert running. I'm more interested in the capability to go just about anywhere I want and survive out of my vehicle on the way.

ReplyQuote
Matt
 Matt
(@matt)
Practitioner Admin
11318 Brass
Challenges:
17/07/2019 9:08 am  

I've been watching this guy's channel lately, great content.

ReplyQuote
Sunshine Shooter
(@sunshine-shooter)
Engaged Member Author
2558 Brass
17/07/2019 11:18 am  
Posted by: @matt

Nothing's really wrong with it, per se. It's just become very trendy and a lot of the offroad folks are avoiding using it. Though I suppose it's better description of what I'm interested in. I don't really care to go rock crawling or desert running. I'm more interested in the capability to go just about anywhere I want and survive out of my vehicle on the way.

Oh, gotcha.  The problem with avoiding trendy terms is that it makes you a nonconformist.  The only person who cares more about what's hip and cool than a conformist is a nonconformist, lol.

I'm getting interested in overlanding specifically.  Like you, I have no desire to go rock crawling, desert running, mud bogging, or anything competitive that salls under the term 'off-roading'.  I just want to go car camp, but I want to be able to do it more than 30' off the highway 🙂

ReplyQuote
Matt
 Matt
(@matt)
Practitioner Admin
11318 Brass
Challenges:
17/07/2019 12:26 pm  

Oh, gotcha.  The problem with avoiding trendy terms is that it makes you a nonconformist.  The only person who cares more about what's hip and cool than a conformist is a nonconformist, lol.

I'm getting interested in overlanding specifically.  Like you, I have no desire to go rock crawling, desert running, mud bogging, or anything competitive that salls under the term 'off-roading'.  I just want to go car camp, but I want to be able to do it more than 30' off the highway :

I think some of the confusion comes from the mixing up of terms. Back when I had my Jeep in Montana, my buddies and I would occasionally go off on a half-day adventure down unknown trails and rough terrain. I'm learning that there's a distinction between that activity and "overlanding." The former is more about pushing the limits of the vehicle with modifications and technical terrain, but usually for a short term, while the latter is more about testing your own resourcefulness and ability to plan. Overlanding might include some difficult terrain, but it's not the point. 

I think Instagram has contributed to the mixup.

The idea of being able to live out of the vehicle for days to weeks at a time has a sort of appeal to me.

ReplyQuote
Sunshine Shooter
(@sunshine-shooter)
Engaged Member Author
2558 Brass
18/07/2019 5:28 pm  

I think some of the confusion comes from the mixing up of terms. Back when I had my Jeep in Montana, my buddies and I would occasionally go off on a half-day adventure down unknown trails and rough terrain. I'm learning that there's a distinction between that activity and "overlanding." The former is more about pushing the limits of the vehicle with modifications and technical terrain, but usually for a short term, while the latter is more about testing your own resourcefulness and ability to plan. Overlanding might include some difficult terrain, but it's not the point. 

I think Instagram has contributed to the mixup.

The idea of being able to live out of the vehicle for days to weeks at a time has a sort of appeal to me.

I think we agree on the term 'overlanding', though I'm now wondering what you would call the first activity you mentioned.  Light rock crawling?  Back home we just called "mudding", but that's because it was muddy and there aren't any mountains/rocks/rough terrain.

ReplyQuote
Matt
 Matt
(@matt)
Practitioner Admin
11318 Brass
Challenges:
18/07/2019 9:17 pm  

@sunshine-shooter

I always called it "wheeling," 4x4 ing, mudding, or just plain old off roading depending on the conditions.

ReplyQuote

Your Support Matters

The Everyday Marksman uses Ko-Fi to help fund our activities. If you like what you get here, then we'd appreciate your support. Supporting the site includes several perks you can't get anywhere else.
Buy a Round

\\\ Latest Articles

Thank you for coming by The Everyday Marksman. This site and its community are a labor of love. I hope you stick around for a while, and maybe even join us.

-Matt

\\\ Participate

COPYRIGHT © The Everyday Marksman

Adventure Awaits

+ Newsletter
+ New Content Alerts
+ Deals and Sales

Subscribe now

Let's Stay Connected

We can't Wait to Show You More

Please Login or Register