\\\ The Forum

AKM295 Training Log- June 2019 Challenge  

RSS

Akm295
(@akm295)
Member Member
249 Brass
22/07/2019 10:07 am  

I finally made it to the range for the June Challenge in July. I shot this challenge cold, no dry fire or practice beforehand. I just wasn't able to make the commitment (I need to do better on dry fire across the board). I got to my local range bright and early so I could enjoy some shade, snag a bay to myself, and avoid the summer heat. I shot the challenge using my primary rifle which is with a S&W M&P15 Magpul Edition. The only factory changes have been swapping the stock and handguard with an MFT Minimalist and a Magpul MOE SL Mid. The optic is a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x on a Weaver SPR mount. Sling is a Magpul SL1. The drill was shot with 55gr PMC Bronze FMJBT.

My first run was 14/20 and my 2nd was an 11/20. My rifle and target photo are in the June Challenge results post. Blue circles denote misses that landed into other areas on the target and could be mistaken as shots from different positions. All targets were shot with the magnification dialed up to 6x. Notes below:

- I shot offhand standing slung up using a typical aggressive shooting stance, not a traditional offhand stance. The traditional position with correct sling would have likely yielded better results, but my setup doesn't allow to me shoot in that manner.

-I tightened up the sling and shot the 1st standing string with my normal c-clamp grip. I shot the 2nd string while supporting the rifle by holding the bottom on the magazine as other's have suggested. My first run was all over the place. My 2nd run yielded one hit and tighter groups, but still left a lot to be desired. This position will need work.

- Kneeling, sitting, and prone all were my strongest and most consistent positions thanks to the extra body support. Kneeling proved the most physically demanding. I have nerve damage in my right foot. When sitting back on my foot I found my foot cramping up and I ended up fighting pain from this spot. I worked through it when I could and paused and reset when I couldn't. Something for me to be more aware of.

- Every time I get an itch about swapping out the Strike Eagle for a red dot to save weight or a different optic with a higher speed reticule or ranging system it reminds why I never do it. I like the crosshair and hash mark reticule system. It is simple for me to  to use, especially after a long time off. I prefer the sight picture a crosshair gives me over a chevron on a variable power optic. I grew up on crosshairs, so it is likely a comfort thing. The hash marks that let me ballpark out to 200-500 yards proved valuable here. I was able to use the bottom hash mark to get on target and shoot the drill. No Kentucky windage/elevation needed to land hits.

- I have my scope positioned so my eye relief is perfect from 1-6x in standing, kneeling, and sitting positions. I never find myself shooting prone. With the scope dialed up to 6x I was fighting parallax from prone something fierce. I needed to extend the stock all the way out and pull my head back. This wasn't ideal. I may need to look into seeing if there is a sweet spot that can better accommodate all 4 positions.

Pete and Jerry liked
Akm295
(@akm295)
Member Member
249 Brass
22/07/2019 12:14 pm  

For some reason the forum won't allow me to edit my initial entry. Apologies for the double post, but I forgot to add this.

- I previously replaced the factory single stage trigger in my rifle with a LaRue MBT. The above groups were shot using that trigger, not a factory mil spec one. I think that is an important note for transparency. I have found the lighter, two stage trigger to be a worthwhile addition.

ReplyQuote
Matt
 Matt
(@matt)
Practitioner Admin
9231 Brass
Challenges:
22/07/2019 7:49 pm  

@akm295

No need to apologize, the forum has an editing cutoff after a few hours.

14/20 is damn good, BTW. It's soooo close to getting that badge. I'm rootin' for ya

"Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

ReplyQuote
Jerry
(@rto-jerry)
Engaged Member Community Founder
956 Brass
Challenges:
22/07/2019 9:45 pm  

@Akm295 good shooting on the challenge 14 of 20 is well earned!!

Thanks for the detailed range report and optic commentary. It is always nice to read about what others are using and rationale behind ones preferences.

This post was modified 1 month ago by Jerry

ReplyQuote
Pete
 Pete
(@pete)
Member Community Founder
700 Brass
Challenges:
25/07/2019 12:10 am  

Have you considered using a kneeling roll to support your ankle? That might help relive pressure on your foot. It quite common in competitive target shooting.

ReplyQuote

Thank you for coming by The Everyday Marksman. This site and its community are a labor of love. I hope you stick around for a while, and maybe even join us.

-Matt

\\\ Participate

COPYRIGHT © The Everyday Marksman

Adventure Awaits

+ Newsletter
+ New Content Alerts
+ Deals and Sales

Subscribe now

Let's Stay Connected

We can't Wait to Show You More

Working

Please Login or Register