\\\ The Forum

AKM295’s October Challenge Log  

RSS

Akm295
(@akm295)
Member Member
579 Brass
03/10/2019 11:29 am  
Background: I’ve spent most of 2018 shooting in smallbore lever action silhouette matches since they are low speed, inexpensive, a small time commitment once a month, and a ton of fun. But I used to be more physically active and more action shooting matches (think USPSA, Pro-Am style club matches, renegade matches, etc.). I haven’t shot in any since I had back surgery in 2017 and have been dealing with residual nerve damage in my feet. I’ve been getting a real itch to get back in better shape and get back to shooting in these types of matches. They are a lot of fun and I felt it really benefited me as both a shooter and competitor.
In preparation for this, I also recently did a lot of gun belt research (thanks for the battle belt articles Matt and help forum folks). I have been long overdue to update my current belt system. It is more gamer focused and piecemealed together with pouches acquired over the last 8 years or so. My goal was to find something versatile and effective for matches, classes, and emergency defensive use. I ended pulled the trigger on an Esstac 1.75” Shooter’s Belt and a few of their KYWI rifle and KYWI GAP pistol pouches. Given the time I put into this process, I also felt it would be fun and hopefully valuable to write up a review on the new kit to evaluate if I made the right call from a “regular” guy perspective.
Goal: Compete in at least one USPSA match, one 2 gun match, and write a review for The Everyday Marksman on my Esstac belt and pouches before December 31st.
Payoff: I need to stop wishing and watching and start doing again. I want to get away from that mindset and be more active in the shooting sports I loved to do. The matches will get me back into action shooting competitions and give my new kit a shakedown run so I can provide an honest review. The review itself will be a way for me to give back to the site and share info to other folks who might be in a similar spot as me.
Process: I’ve already checked my club’s event’s calendar and have the USPSA and 2 gun matches noted on my family calendar. I’ll need to coordinate with my family so I can plan to get to at least one of each match over the next few months. I’ll keep a running Google Doc of my review and take notes and pictures as I use it so I can build the review over time. When it is ready for consumption I’ll post it to the forum and follow the necessary procedures to edit it and get it post worthy for the site.
Hazards:
  • Availability: I need to balance shooting in an all day shooting match on a weekend with family responsibilities. I’ve got an amazing toddler and I am happily married and I would like to keep it that way  😆 . I need to balance “me time” with “us time”.
  • Limited number of matches: There are only five USPSA matches and three 2 gun matches left for the calendar year at my club.
  • Writing Time: Sitting down and writing an in-depth, honest review the way I want will take a lot of time.
Countermeasures: 
  • Availability: I’ve already talked with my wife about being away for a good chunk of the day for these longer matches and have her full support. We try to make time for each other for these things already so we can each still have some personal time to do the things we like when we can.
  • Limited number of matches: I know when the matches are so I just need to lock in one of each and commit.
  • Wiring Time: I am planning on writing the article in small chunks when I can over time instead of sitting down and trying to crank it out all at once.

An unoffical sub goal is to get to the gym at least once every week for cardio, core work, and stretching. I’m putting it here to try to keep me honest about it. And I stole Matt's format, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

This looks to be a fun challenge, thanks for coming along for the ride.

This topic was modified 2 months ago 3 times by Akm295

Pete liked
Pete
 Pete
(@pete)
Member Community Founder
1078 Brass
Challenges:
03/10/2019 1:53 pm  

This sounds quite do-able! I have a thought about your article. First write up about the belt setup before the match; why you chose those items and how you expect them to perform. Then after your first match write up how it (and you) performed compared to your expectations and any adjustments you make because of that. Then repeat after the second match. Finally the conclusion at the end. This will help break up the article into smaller chunks like you say. Plus, your memories will be fresh.

Naturally, it's your challenge and your article. You don't have to listen to this good idea fairy.

"It is an enormous simplification to speak of the American mind. Every American has his own mind." -Ludwig von Mises (Theory and History)
"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert A. Heinlein (The Moon is a Harsh Mistress)
"Those who are in love with practice without knowledge are like the sailor who gets into a ship without rudder or compass and who never can be certain [where] he is going. Practice must always be founded on sound theory." -Leonardo da Vinci (#19 Of the Mistakes made By Those Who Practice Without Knowledge)

ReplyQuote
Matt
 Matt
(@matt)
Practitioner Admin
10662 Brass
Challenges:
05/10/2019 7:55 am  

Good luck! Definitely report back on what you learn.

"Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

ReplyQuote
Akm295
(@akm295)
Member Member
579 Brass
06/10/2019 4:10 pm  

@Pete My current  outline and gameplay is already set up pretty close to what you described! Great minds think a like. I just wrapped up my intro and background. Next up, matches!

Pete liked
ReplyQuote
Pete
 Pete
(@pete)
Member Community Founder
1078 Brass
Challenges:
06/10/2019 7:42 pm  

@akm295, that's great! I look forward to reading it.

"It is an enormous simplification to speak of the American mind. Every American has his own mind." -Ludwig von Mises (Theory and History)
"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert A. Heinlein (The Moon is a Harsh Mistress)
"Those who are in love with practice without knowledge are like the sailor who gets into a ship without rudder or compass and who never can be certain [where] he is going. Practice must always be founded on sound theory." -Leonardo da Vinci (#19 Of the Mistakes made By Those Who Practice Without Knowledge)

ReplyQuote
Sunshine Shooter
(@sunshine-shooter)
Engaged Member Author
2106 Brass
Challenges: emergency shelter challenge level 1
07/10/2019 1:10 pm  

I look forward to reading your reports @akm295!

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement"

progunmillennial.wordpress.com

ReplyQuote
Akm295
(@akm295)
Member Member
579 Brass
10/10/2019 2:41 pm  

Nothing too exciting to report yet, but I hit the gym last night for cardio and some circuit training. I also took a 2nd pass at the content I've already written to help make it read more like an actual human being wrote it 🤣

ReplyQuote
Matt
 Matt
(@matt)
Practitioner Admin
10662 Brass
Challenges:
17/10/2019 9:10 pm  

How's it going? Got an update?

ReplyQuote
Akm295
(@akm295)
Member Member
579 Brass
21/10/2019 1:56 pm  

@matt

Slow burn so far, but I've got some items on the horizon. Hitting the gym again tomorrow, locking in a 2 gun match for 11/3, and taking some preliminary belt and pouch photos this Sunday. I also still need to write my first impressions portion of the review. Everything outside of that will be connected to the experiences from the matches I'll be shooting so future portions hinge on getting to the range.

ReplyQuote
Akm295
(@akm295)
Member Member
579 Brass
04/11/2019 9:41 am  

Update! I shot my 2 gun match yesterday and placed 32/49. My personal goal for competitions like this is to try to place in the top half of competitors. This was my first IDPA style 2 gun match in a while, so I took things slow and snagged a procedural for engaging targets in the wrong order.  If I pick up the pace and play the game correctly I think I am there. Dry fire and rifle manipulations are definitely in order.

Still need to take photos and and get the initial impressions down. Next up is booking the USPSA match and then I'll have enough data to wrap up the article.

ReplyQuote
Matt
 Matt
(@matt)
Practitioner Admin
10662 Brass
Challenges:
04/11/2019 8:12 pm  

@akm295

Cool! I'm glad you got out there. I look forward to your notes!

ReplyQuote
Akm295
(@akm295)
Member Member
579 Brass
18/11/2019 2:10 pm  

Update time! I have had a bit of life stuff derail my plans here, but things are getting back on track as everything is settling back down. I have a USPSA match set for 12/21. I still  need to take photos, get my initial impressions written down, and write down my experience at the 2 gun match. After my USPSA match all I'll have left is to write up my experience and wrap up the article. It will be close but doable.

In terms of reaching my goal, I should have the full article posted for review in the forum before 12/31 so I am thinking things are in good shape!

Pete liked
ReplyQuote

Thank you for coming by The Everyday Marksman. This site and its community are a labor of love. I hope you stick around for a while, and maybe even join us.

-Matt

\\\ Participate

COPYRIGHT © The Everyday Marksman

Adventure Awaits

+ Newsletter
+ New Content Alerts
+ Deals and Sales

Subscribe now

Let's Stay Connected

We can't Wait to Show You More

Please Login or Register