Cutright's Training Log - June 2019 Challenge  

RSS

Cutright
(@cutright)
Member Community Founder
851 Brass
Challenges: emergency shelter challenge level 1
23/06/2019 11:53 am  

Wow, if I ever want to feel bad about myself, I'll just pull out this challenge again...

So how did it all go down? Welp, my bestest shootin' buddy and I packed up our usual shooting apparatus and headed out to a private club I belong to. It's got a 25 yd - 200 yd range, and 5 other ranges, and if you see another person down there it's crowded. It happened to be raining until the moment we backed up the truck and unloaded. The Gods were with us. Were.

Aside from the cloud of mosquitos, we were good to go. I pulled out my AR pistol and rifle and slapped the can on my rifle. For this challenge, I was going to use both, but after I had tried a few positions with a non-adjustable brace, I opted for the rifle. I also took my optic off. I did this for a couple of reasons. I worked hard to get it zeroed to where I wanted it and I did not bring enough ammo to re-zero it at both 25 and again at 100. Also, I have a national match front sight that is half as wide as a standard issue front post sight and I wanted to put it to use. Also, that rifle is heavy.

It became abundantly apparent that I was going to have some "optical confusion". Even though I've had LASIK eye surgery, that's a bunch of 1" circles awfully close together and three pages of them side to side...but the hell with it, we'll make do.

Both my buddy and I got back to the 25 yd. line and knew we were in trouble. I had real difficulty discerning individual targets. My eyes were beginning to get a bit stressed but it was all doable. I used half of the far right target to confirm zero/get warmed up from the bench. He used the top half to do the same...and then we confirmed our suspicions that it was going to be a humbling day.

So here's the layout, the approach of the targets:

TOP ROW - STANDING

2ND ROW - KNEELING

3RD ROW - SITTING

4TH ROW - PRONE

And for reference, the first target is on the left. Second go at the challenge is on the right

As you can see, 2 out of 20 for both. I was not ashamed nor surprised. I was hoping for better, but all I've focused on is combat shooting for 4 years now. Most of my shots are 5-6 MOA, and each target had 2 to 3 flyers that I had called as soon as I made them. No optics, just irons. No sling either...because I forgot mine and I'm a believer of "Run what you brung" and make do.

So there you have it. Not great. Also, not horrible and in practice it's nearly all lethal shooting at 100 yds on human silhouettes. I know for a fact, whether it's an AR, AK, shotgun slug or 10/22 I can shoot about that good off hand at 100 yds.

So the take aways from this? I need to practice. I need get more comfortable in the kneeling position. The first attempt was quite painful because I have spent about 30 minutes of my entire life shooting from a knee. The second time around I settled into a much more comfortable and superior position. Sitting is good for me. In prone, I used a fist under my broom handle grip as a modified Hawkins' position...I really like using the mag as a monopod but that was specifically forbidden.

Two thoughts on the way out here: I'd like to do this challenge again but with much more space between targets for those who have not perfect vision. Its only an issue of target design and optical perspective...and I also get that it's awfully nice to have to print only one page. Just a thought and not so much a critique.

The other thing is that I would like to have used what was around me. A 4x4 post to put a hand on and rest my rifle against would be a real world advantage I could take. Using the mag as a monopod is definitely an advantage. Things like that. Not a complaint but rather small adaptations to the challenge. Rules are rules though and that's not what this challenge was about, so maybe I take another trip out there and see what I could do for myself in comparison to my lack of inherent skills!

All in all, it was a good time with a good friend trying a good challenge. Beers and burgers were to follow and a monthly challenge is a great way to ensure some good times get in on the monthly.

Cheers,

Cutright

This topic was modified 6 months ago by Matt

Matt
 Matt
(@matt)
Practitioner Admin
11273 Brass
Challenges:
26/06/2019 9:21 am  

This challenge is no joke, it seems. I think everyone is running into the same realization, we're not as accurate as we thought we were and that there's always room for practicing the fundamentals.

"Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

ReplyQuote
Czfan10101
(@czfan10101)
Member Member
394 Brass
16/07/2019 12:16 pm  

I taped this target up, back yard only allows me 68 feet and looked this thing over with & without my glasses.  "Ave Maria E Santos" my off hand groups look like 3" lightning bolts.  I hope you're still accepting  posts on this challenge years from now.

ReplyQuote
Sunshine Shooter
(@sunshine-shooter)
Engaged Member Author
2553 Brass
17/07/2019 11:13 am  

@czfan10101

I know that I'm going to be revisiting this periodically.

68 feet gets you a target that is roughly 10% oversized.  You could set your printer to print at 90% original size and have a target calibrated for your specific distance.

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement"

progunmillennial.wordpress.com

ReplyQuote
Czfan10101
(@czfan10101)
Member Member
394 Brass
18/07/2019 2:33 am  

@sunshine-shooter

I was referring to how bad my eyesight was and how challenging this is going to be.  Cutright was using his peep  sight no optic!!! Lazic my a**  he stole some teenager's eyes.

ReplyQuote
Sunshine Shooter
(@sunshine-shooter)
Engaged Member Author
2553 Brass
18/07/2019 5:19 pm  
Posted by: @czfan10101

@sunshine-shooter

I was referring to how bad my eyesight was and how challenging this is going to be.  Cutright was using his peep  sight no optic!!! Lazic my a**  he stole some teenager's eyes.

I don't know how I would have done if I hadn't used my scope.  I cranked that sucker up to 6x!

ReplyQuote
Czfan10101
(@czfan10101)
Member Member
394 Brass
19/07/2019 1:51 am  

@sunshine-shooter

What kind of scope are you using?  Magnification is definitely in my future.  I am totally ignorant on the subject.

ReplyQuote
Sunshine Shooter
(@sunshine-shooter)
Engaged Member Author
2553 Brass
22/07/2019 1:43 pm  

@czfan10101

Athlon Midas 1-6x20mm.  I like it so far.  I'll put a review of it up on my blog one of these days.

ReplyQuote
Cutright
(@cutright)
Member Community Founder
851 Brass
15/09/2019 6:47 pm  

I just happened to check on this and didn't realize there were any replys here! I'm going back out in a few weeks, at the latest, 10/12/19. This time I am going to use an optic and I'm going to try it without again. I'm going to give it a try with a 4x Ruger 10/22 and my AR with irons I believe. This time I'll have a sling on both. We shall see what happens.

ReplyQuote

Your Support Matters

The Everyday Marksman uses Ko-Fi to help fund our activities. If you like what you get here, then we'd appreciate your support. Supporting the site includes several perks you can't get anywhere else.
Buy a Round

\\\ Latest Articles

Thank you for coming by The Everyday Marksman. This site and its community are a labor of love. I hope you stick around for a while, and maybe even join us.

-Matt

\\\ Participate

COPYRIGHT © The Everyday Marksman

Adventure Awaits

+ Newsletter
+ New Content Alerts
+ Deals and Sales

Subscribe now

Let's Stay Connected

We can't Wait to Show You More

Please Login or Register