Matt
 Matt
(@matt)
Practitioner Admin
10142 Brass
Challenges:
01/06/2019 9:58 pm  

I might as well post mine up first.

I want to complete this first challenge within the month of June. I'm pretty confident in my ability to hit the sitting and prone, but I'm definitely rusty in the kneeling and standing. Stay tuned for updates and training tips as I find them.

"Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

MTxW liked
MTxW
 MTxW
(@mtxw)
Passerby Member
221 Brass
04/06/2019 9:51 am  

I think the idea of these challenges is great!  My biggest problem is finding a range nearby where they'll let me shoot in the kneeling, sitting (on the ground), and prone positions.   I'm not sure how I will perform in any position, although because of the range limitations nearby I probably have the most experience shooting standing.

ReplyQuote
Matt
 Matt
(@matt)
Practitioner Admin
10142 Brass
Challenges:
04/06/2019 7:57 pm  
Posted by: MTxW

I think the idea of these challenges is great!  My biggest problem is finding a range nearby where they'll let me shoot in the kneeling, sitting (on the ground), and prone positions.   I'm not sure how I will perform in any position, although because of the range limitations nearby I probably have the most experience shooting standing.

Bummer about the range. When I lived in South Florida, my local range was like that. You could only shoot standing or seated at the concrete bench.

I was surprised when my local indoor range was just fine with positional shooting, so I take advantage of it when I can.

ReplyQuote
MTxW
 MTxW
(@mtxw)
Passerby Member
221 Brass
04/06/2019 7:58 pm  

Would air rifle in my back yard count? As long as I can get it out to 25 yds I can definitely do that.

ReplyQuote
Matt
 Matt
(@matt)
Practitioner Admin
10142 Brass
Challenges:
04/06/2019 8:06 pm  

I think that would work, the rules don't specify what kind of rifle to use. As long as you can do the 25 yards requirement then I see no reason you can't post a score 🙂

ReplyQuote
Matt
 Matt
(@matt)
Practitioner Admin
10142 Brass
Challenges:
05/06/2019 7:06 am  

Ok, it's time to discuss my training plan for this one.

Actual range time is pretty limited for me right now, but I can easily dedicate some time to dry fire practice. I've been polling some experts for tips, and those will be in an article next week. But in the meantime, I just want to establish a solid habit.

John Buol Jr. over at The Firearms User Network put out an article a while back talking about "Dental Hygiene Level Effort." The gist of the post is that it doesn't take much time or effort to get some quality practice in. You just need to treat it like any other habit that you set aside a few minutes for each day.

For this challenge, I'm going to use my Recce rifle with 4X ELCAN optic. The crosshair reticle is more precise for this kind of work, especially at closer ranges. I have a significant amount of Hornady 75gr Frontier ammo left over from the NRA ARC match a while back.

The plan is to tape the target to a wall and spend 10-15 minutes each day dry firing from each of the positions. I don't have 25 yards inside my house to work with, but I can use the smaller 1/4-inch dot in the middle for this. The point is developing muscle memory for stability.

ReplyQuote
Matt
 Matt
(@matt)
Practitioner Admin
10142 Brass
Challenges:
16/06/2019 8:03 am  

I am defeated.

I haven't committed to dry fire as much as I wanted to, and the results yesterday clearly demonstrated that. I finally got a chance to hit the range after a while, so I loaded up with my pistol and recce rifle. Mistake #1 was trying to practice two different skills at the same session. I can only rent a lane at my range for 1 hour at a time, so I try to cram as much into that hour as I can. I spent the first half working on pistol skills with the CZ P07. It went well, though my double action trigger pulls need a little work.

When I switched to rifle, everything started off ok. I used some leftover 75gr Hornady Frontier from the NRA match a while back. My groups for zero were great, producing nice single ragged hole clusters at 25 yards.

Then I switched to positional shooting. After placing three Appleseed scaled targets at 25 yards, I got to work with standing, kneeling, and sitting. Here are the targets. Standing is top left, kneeling on bottom, and sitting to the right.

I should have paid closer attention to these groupings and realized I was trending low, which very well may have been the zero. You see, I zeroed the rifle in two groups. After firing the second group, I adjusted the zero back down another MOA, but didn't confirm it. I think it played out in the rest of the session.

Next, I put up one of the challenge targets and fired two shots each at the top row for standing. Disappointing.

By this point, I was feeling frustrated, tired, and thirsty. I noticed my eyesight starting to blur a bit during strings of fire, and my patience was just running out. So I slapped up the last target, only to have the RO inform me I was about to run out of time. So now tack being rushed into the mix.

Here's the final target.

What stands out to me is that the kneeling, sitting, and prone rows are all consistently slightly low and left of the target circle, which tells me there was probably a zeroing issue. That, or I picked up an odd flinch.

Oh well, better luck next time.

A big lesson here is that I really should focus on a single thing at a time versus trying to max out my range session with lots of skillsets.

ReplyQuote
Diceman624
(@diceman624)
Engaged Member Author
1589 Brass
17/06/2019 11:33 am  

Seeing the results so far has made me want to seriously up my dry fire trainng.  More so, since I'm seriously considering doing this with irons.  Thus far, I've been aiming off things like light switchs, screws that mount their backplates, or the bottom hole in a 3-prong outlet.  Option two is about a inch to two-inch knot in a back yard fence post which is exactly 25 yards from my kitchen.  Thus far, I've managed about 4-5 reps from each position per session per day, of course, I mainly get only one or two sessions between family and work commitments.  Any other lessons learned or tips for those looking to enter?

Internet reputations may be one thing, but cold hard data is another.

ReplyQuote

Thank you for coming by The Everyday Marksman. This site and its community are a labor of love. I hope you stick around for a while, and maybe even join us.

-Matt

\\\ Participate

COPYRIGHT © The Everyday Marksman

Adventure Awaits

+ Newsletter
+ New Content Alerts
+ Deals and Sales

Subscribe now

Let's Stay Connected

We can't Wait to Show You More

Please Login or Register