\\\ The Forum

Roll the Dice: June Challenge Notes  

RSS

Diceman624
(@diceman624)
Engaged Member Author
1589 Brass
18/06/2019 12:30 pm  

So, after seeing some of the results, and doing a few days of consecutive dry fire, my approach to the June challenge has a few notes to consider:

-I'm dreaming to think I could do this with irons; I've decided to switch back to the TA-50 as my sighting method, however, magnification amplifies my perception of wobble.  It's this, or lacking a defined target for aiming.

-Prone and open-leg sitting positions feel pretty stable; I used to zero all my rifles from supported prone at the outdoor range I had a membership at.  While I won't say I've mastered prone, I'm confident with it.  Open-leg provides far better stability for me than crossed ankle sitting.

-Kneeling benefitted from kicking my strong side knee out a little bit

-As with my foray into Service Rifle matches, standing is always a challenge; this is the position I've done most of my practice dry-fire in

Areas for concern:

-Trigger control

-The 1/7 twist-55gr FMJBT match-up: thus far, two of the three 1/7 barrels I have produced their best groups with 69gr OTM; an ammo I don't have in abundant supply.  I expect this bullet/barrel combination will not maximize inherent accuracy

-Standing position with a magazine-fed rifle: my previous experience with standing positions involved an M1 Garand, which allowed my hands to hold positions comfortably closer than an AR-15.   Finding a "happy medium" for the support hand has been a challenge.

Internet reputations may be one thing, but cold hard data is another.

Diceman624
(@diceman624)
Engaged Member Author
1589 Brass
19/06/2019 7:21 am  

Notes from today:

-a fully extended stock makes a difference in standing

-supporting from under the magazine seems superior to using the handguard when standing

ReplyQuote
Matt
 Matt
(@matt)
Practitioner Admin
10137 Brass
Challenges:
19/06/2019 10:40 am  
Posted by: Diceman624

Notes from today:

-a fully extended stock makes a difference in standing

-supporting from under the magazine seems superior to using the handguard when standing

I agree with the stock, but I’ve always had issues with trying to balance on the magazine. We’re you using 30 rounders or something shorter?

"Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

ReplyQuote
Diceman624
(@diceman624)
Engaged Member Author
1589 Brass
19/06/2019 10:49 am  

It was a 20rd PMAG; I think a 30rd might throw off my height a little when it comes to NPOA.  I should give a 30rd mag a try, though, since that's what I'll likely end up using.

This post was modified 4 months ago by Diceman624

ReplyQuote
Diceman624
(@diceman624)
Engaged Member Author
1589 Brass
19/06/2019 9:50 pm  

My work around for the 30rd PMAG is to wrap the top side of my forearm around the magazine, while grasping the handguard.  Its complicated to describe, but is far more stable than holding the base.

ReplyQuote
Diceman624
(@diceman624)
Engaged Member Author
1589 Brass
29/06/2019 3:48 pm  

Regrettably, this challenge will go unfilled this month.  I set out to accomplish today, but range conditions couldn't accomodate.

However, some good learning occurred:

-For my TA-50, I discovered the best aimpoint/hold is a 6 o'clock hold off the 300m line, which about coincides with an inch at 25 yards

-I would need to aim approx. 1 inch high for my PRO zeroed at 50 yards to get hits at 25 yards

-Irons aren't as impossible as I thought; using a detachable carry handle with an RIBZ set for 25 yards is challenging, but possible when my dryfire led me to believe it wasn't.

I still plan to complete, but not in the June timeframe.

ReplyQuote
Sunshine Shooter
(@sunshine-shooter)
Engaged Member Author
1967 Brass
Challenges: emergency shelter challenge level 1
29/06/2019 4:18 pm  

Sucks that your range conditions didn't allow you to complete the challenge, but if you are a better shooter for trying isn't that just as desirable an outcome?

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement"

progunmillennial.wordpress.com

ReplyQuote
Diceman624
(@diceman624)
Engaged Member Author
1589 Brass
29/06/2019 4:59 pm  

I'm not disappointed with the outcome of today's session.  Rather, I've learned things that should help me for when I complete it in due time.

ReplyQuote
Matt
 Matt
(@matt)
Practitioner Admin
10137 Brass
Challenges:
29/06/2019 8:45 pm  

I fully expect this is one of those challenges people will come back to over time. It makes a great starting-off point, though.

"Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

ReplyQuote

Thank you for coming by The Everyday Marksman. This site and its community are a labor of love. I hope you stick around for a while, and maybe even join us.

-Matt

\\\ Participate

COPYRIGHT © The Everyday Marksman

Adventure Awaits

+ Newsletter
+ New Content Alerts
+ Deals and Sales

Subscribe now

Let's Stay Connected

We can't Wait to Show You More

Please Login or Register