\\\ The Forum

Sunshine Shooter's Challenge Log  

RSS

Sunshine Shooter
(@sunshine-shooter)
Engaged Member Author
1028 Brass
19/06/2019 10:58 am  

I'll say this before we go any farther:  My positional shooting isn't very good.  I'm pretty decent at supported shooting from a bench when utilizing a rear bag, but that's because everyone is decent shooting from a bench utilizing a rear bag.  I plan on dry practicing heavily for the next week and then shooting the challenge on Thursday, the 27th.  Maybe I'll get a badge next month...

Standing:  I know the upright target stance a little, but I haven't yet got it dialed in for me.  This will be the biggest thing I work on since the standing is where most people will lose the majority of their points.

Kneeling:  I've got a good, solid kneeling position I fall into naturally, but I naturally have the wrong knee out.  I think the flexibility of my right leg is slightly better than my left leg, so mirroring it to an acceptable level will be my main focus in this area.  (I shoot from the left shoulder)

Sitting:  I have no idea what I'm going to do here.  Probably the crossed-legged sitting position.  If I get my kneeling knee position worked out, I may be able to utilize it in a sniper's cradle for my sitting shots.  Then again, maybe that stacked-foot nonsense will work out for me 🙂IMG_7353*pictured: Rifleslinger from Art of the Rifle Blog, not me*

Prone: I don't know how much time I'll spend in practice on this one.  Disallowing magazine monopodding makes this one difficult (thanks Matt!), but more fair to those not using ARs.  Considering I've shot more precision shots from prone than anywhere else (besides from a bench), and the inherent stability of laying flat on the ground, I feel like this position needs the least practice anyway.

Wish me luck!

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement"

progunmillennial.wordpress.com

Diceman624
(@diceman624)
Engaged Member Author
1368 Brass
19/06/2019 11:08 am  

@sunshine-shooter I've actually never shot from a bench with a rear bag.  It's either been a front bag, or a bag under an arm.

Internet reputations may be one thing, but cold hard data is another.

ReplyQuote
Matt
 Matt
(@matt)
Engaged Member Admin
8141 Brass
19/06/2019 7:50 pm  
Posted by: Sunshine Shooter

Prone: I don't know how much time I'll spend in practice on this one.  Disallowing magazine monopodding makes this one difficult (thanks Matt!), but more fair to those not using ARs.  Considering I've shot more precision shots from prone than anywhere else (besides from a bench), and the inherent stability of laying flat on the ground, I feel like this position needs the least practice anyway.

Wish me luck!

You're welcome 😎

I know full well that using the magazine as a monopod helps immensely with stability, but the goal of this challenge is unsupported, save for the sling. I can be done, but it's not easy. It wouldn't be a challenge otherwise, right?

"Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

ReplyQuote
Sunshine Shooter
(@sunshine-shooter)
Engaged Member Author
1028 Brass
29/06/2019 1:30 pm  

Shot this yesterday.  I zeroed my rifle, turned on the camera, and went after it.  I didn't do more than one attempt, as I feel it goes against the spirit of the event and I don't have that kind of patience.  I shot 8 of 20.  I did about like I expected.  I'll post the video here when it's on YouTube.

ReplyQuote
Sunshine Shooter
(@sunshine-shooter)
Engaged Member Author
1028 Brass
01/07/2019 2:13 pm  

Here's the video of me shooting the challenge.

Part 1:

Part 2:

I like this challenge.  Not because I did well, but because no one really did.  You want to see how good a shot you are?  We now have a way to tell.  This is not a 'minimum competency' kind of standard, but a legitimately hard test.

I should have practiced more.  The week previous I told myself that I'd practice it for 10 or 15 minutes a night each night and be as prepared as possible.  I only practiced about 3 times that week.  Instead of almost 2 hours of practice in the previous week, I only had like 45 minutes total.  My score shows you how well that worked out for me. 🙁

My standing was surprisingly good.  I fully expected to get 0 of 5 on that one, so the 2 I got I considered bonus.  As shaky as I was, I wouldn't count on making them again.  This was also the only position where I don't have serious issues getting enough elevation to shoot something parallel to my eyes.

I shot sitting before kneeling, because I can't follow directions.  I shot sitting with the stackfoot prone position I ridiculed up above.  In my sparse practice the week before I discovered that it is much more stable than any other position, and it afforded me more elevation that any other sitting position.  On the range I discovered that my boots' soles are much more flexible than they are in an air conditioned house, making this position harder than in practice.  The unexpected floppy-ness of my boots caused my muzzle to droop much more than anticipated, leading to more 'muscling the gun' into position and lots of eye strain.  Changing shoes I maybe could have eeked out another hit, but 3 of 5 is still my best position.

I shot kneeling alright.  My kneeling position feels really solid, but my shooting didn't reflect it.  There is some wonky-ness going on with the third target circle getting hit with a different shot's bullet that made me realize an issue with the target itself that I'll address down below.  2 of 5 was a let down.

My prone is atrocious.  1 of 5?  WHO SHOOTS PRONE THE WORST?  I don't know what it was, but I could not get a hit to save my life!  My average deviation from the center of the target is the smallest in prone, but it was consistently for enough off that I only scored 1 hit.

All-in-all, I need more practice.  I also need to figure out why I can't shoot anything at any sort of elevation increase in 3 of the 4 positions.  Kneeling, sitting, prone, all three allowed me to shoot barely parallel to the ground.  If I needed to shoot anything at any sort of elevation increase I'd need to do it standing or with some sort of support.  If I do this again in the future, I plan on practicing more and wearing different shoes.  If I carry a gun in the field, I'll keep these lessons in mind when I'm selecting footwear.   ...and an object to support my rifle on so I can actually hit something.

And finally, the target itself.  I think that the idea of having 5 individual targets, each being shot at once, has an inherent flaw that I didn't notice until I was looking at my own target.  You can be way off your mark and shoot the center out of a different shot's target.  I can't say with absolute certainty that my middle kneeling target was actually hit or if that was the first kneeling shot's bullet.  If there was only one kneeling target it would be very simple to tell which goes where, but the multi-target setup allows stray bullets to increase a person's score.  It's unlikely to help very many people, but it's possible.  It won't help someone who is only slightly missing, but someone like me who wings a shot or two (or six) way wide may very well be getting points they didn't truly earn.

Jerry liked
ReplyQuote
Matt
 Matt
(@matt)
Engaged Member Admin
8141 Brass
01/07/2019 8:18 pm  

You know, for not using a sling to help stabilize in the sitting, kneeling, and prone, I'd actually say those were pretty good results on target. I noticed that three of your prone shots were all very consistent just to the right of the target. That might be related to your natural point of aim or something you're doing with the trigger or muzzle just before the shot breaks.

The problem of a missed shot from one row ending up in another target is noted, but I don't think it would happen consistently enough for someone to go from not passing to reaching a passing score.

"Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

ReplyQuote
Sunshine Shooter
(@sunshine-shooter)
Engaged Member Author
1028 Brass
01/07/2019 9:17 pm  
Posted by: Matt

The problem of a missed shot from one row ending up in another target is noted, but I don't think it would happen consistently enough for someone to go from not passing to reaching a passing score.

True, so I guess it really doesn't matter.

ReplyQuote
Jerry
(@rto-jerry)
Member Community Founder
432 Brass
02/07/2019 7:51 am  

Good shooting without a sling sir. I'd venture to say that with a little practice utilizing sling and sling adjustment (sitting, kneeling, prone) you'd be 15 of 20 fairly quick. The Challenge was very tough indeed.

ReplyQuote
Sunshine Shooter
(@sunshine-shooter)
Engaged Member Author
1028 Brass
02/07/2019 9:30 am  

@rto-jerry Thanks!

ReplyQuote

Thank you for coming by The Everyday Marksman. This site and its community are a labor of love. I hope you stick around for a while, and maybe even join us.

-Matt

\\\ Participate

COPYRIGHT © The Everyday Marksman

Adventure Awaits

+ Newsletter
+ New Content Alerts
+ Deals and Sales

Subscribe now

Let's Stay Connected

We can't Wait to Show You More

Working

Please Login or Register