RSS

Sunshine Shooter
(@sunshine-shooter)
Engaged Member Author
2106 Brass
Challenges: emergency shelter challenge level 1
01/10/2019 1:51 pm  

I'm going to try to accomplish 2 goals this month:

1. Standing on the bathroom scale before breakfast, weigh 180.0 lbs or less, on average, for 3 or more days.
  2. Bake four new recipes, yielding a final product that I would be proud of.

End date for both goals is Oct. 31st.

1) I've been trying to lose weight off-and-on for a long time and my body weight seems to only loosely correspond with my behavior.  10 lbs swings are meaningful, 3 to 5 are not.  That's why I want to make this goal one that is averaged out over a few days so that it actually means something.  I've been losing weight fairly successfully spring and summer of this year, but have seemed to plateau between 185 and 189 for the last month or two.  The main danger with this goal is that I really enjoy food and have a serious sweet tooth.  My main tool will be intermittent fasting & old fashioned will power.  My reward will be a much more relaxed diet for the season.  I really don't know how much of a 'reward' that is, since Thanksgiving and Christmas won't let me keep a strict diet anyway.

2) Speaking of my sweet tooth, I bought a Fall baking cookbook recently and I want to eat almost everything in it.  I'm a typical guy, I don't cook very much.  I like cooking, I really enjoy it and want to do it more, but I'm just not in the habit.  I also usually end up watching the kids while my wife makes dinner, meaning that a big chance for me to cook is lost.  This is a way to break open that new cookbook, improve my skill, fill up my personal bank of recipes, and satisfy my sweet tooth.  My biggest downfalls will be time and opportunity.  Since I will be not making the dinner most nights, I will have to find some other time to accomplish my goal (late at night or in the pre-dawn morning).  To cook dinner more, I have to convince my wife to look after our two kids for even longer than normal while I cook.  My reward will be having a handful of new recipes that I know are good (or not).  That's a reward in & of itself.

I am fully aware that goals of losing weight and baking more are directly contradicting each other.  I feel that this incompatibility isn't insurmountable, but will require a lot of effort on my part.

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement"

progunmillennial.wordpress.com

Pete
 Pete
(@pete)
Member Community Founder
1078 Brass
Challenges:
01/10/2019 2:22 pm  

Those two goals together is one hell of a challenge indeed. Good luck, man!

"It is an enormous simplification to speak of the American mind. Every American has his own mind." -Ludwig von Mises (Theory and History)
"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert A. Heinlein (The Moon is a Harsh Mistress)
"Those who are in love with practice without knowledge are like the sailor who gets into a ship without rudder or compass and who never can be certain [where] he is going. Practice must always be founded on sound theory." -Leonardo da Vinci (#19 Of the Mistakes made By Those Who Practice Without Knowledge)

ReplyQuote
Matt
 Matt
(@matt)
Practitioner Admin
10662 Brass
Challenges:
01/10/2019 8:13 pm  

Good luck! I'm about to post mine up as well.

"Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

ReplyQuote
Sunshine Shooter
(@sunshine-shooter)
Engaged Member Author
2106 Brass
02/10/2019 5:09 pm  

I guess I forgot to mention countermeasures!

For losing weight, I've had great success with intermittent fasting.  I find it much easier to not eat anything until dinner than it is to eat just a little bit 3 or 4 times a day. With intermittent fasting, I basically only get hungry once.  I also have the ability to let loose at dinner time and not worry much about how much I'm eating.  I can get a full day's worth of food in one meal and feel great.  What I find difficult is restraining my eating at breakfast, again at lunch, resisting the temptation of snacking all afternoon, and then holding myself back once again at dinner.

For the second goal, there isn't much countermeasure beyond strict discipline.  I know I need to do it and that I have time to do it, I just need to get it done.  The fact that I really do enjoy cooking will help me a lot.

ReplyQuote
Sunshine Shooter
(@sunshine-shooter)
Engaged Member Author
2106 Brass
08/10/2019 11:56 am  

Update 1

Current weight: I've weighed in at 187.8 for the last few days, so it seems accurate.  I haven't been as strict with my diet this past week as I should have been, and it shows.

187.8, 7.8 lb to go.

Cooking has come along better, though.   Last night after the kids went to bed I made a Chocolate Chip & Cranberry bread.  It's the recipe on the cover of the cookbook that made me stop and grab it, so I'm glad I got to make it.  It's dense and moist and sweet and basically everything that's good in life.

1 new recipe baked, 3 to go.

ReplyQuote
Matt
 Matt
(@matt)
Practitioner Admin
10662 Brass
Challenges:
17/10/2019 9:11 pm  

Any updates?

ReplyQuote
Sunshine Shooter
(@sunshine-shooter)
Engaged Member Author
2106 Brass
18/10/2019 3:06 pm  
Posted by: @matt

Any updates?

Been meaning to update this, and @matt convinced me.

Current weight: 181.8 on the scale this morning.  My average over the last 3 days is 182.7, so I'm creeping up (down?) on my goal.  I've been doing pretty good in this regard the last two weeks, and this challenge has helped give my discipline a little extra edge.  This weekend could spell doom, however, as my alma mater's homecoming is this weekend.  That means walk-around tonight, which means food trucks.  Tomorrow will be tailgating with my brother and his family, which means delicious, delicious food.  I'm trying to figure out a good strategy to keep me from getting completely derailed.  Wish me luck!

182.7 lb average, 2.7 lb to go

Cooking is coming along a little slower.  Last night was the second time I cooked something new for the family, and I'm not entirely happy with it.  I found a cornbread waffle recipe and figured that pairing it with some canned (Hormel) chili would be a good dinner.  I really liked it overall, and it was pretty quick & easy, but I don't know if I count this towards my goal.  The waffle recipe needs some tweaking to be acceptable for me, and just warming up canned chili feels like I just microwaved something.  I'll put this as a 1/2 point towards my goal.  Not much, but not nothing.

1.5 new recipes baked, 2.5 to go.

ReplyQuote
Sunshine Shooter
(@sunshine-shooter)
Engaged Member Author
2106 Brass
21/10/2019 12:13 pm  

Update.

Weight took a bit of a nosedive over the weekend.  It normally does, but this past weekend seems to be worse than normal.  I think I can recover from it, but I just need to be strict with my discipline.

Cooking also didn't go real great.  Saturday morning I made a recipe for sweet potato bread.  I didn't have the correct baking dishes (mini-load pans) so I just put it in a standard loaf pan and checked it's doneness every 10-15 minutes.  After  almost 2 hours of bake time (the original called for 30-35 minutes) it seemed done.  After cooling, I cut into the loaf to discover that it was almost raw on the inside.  I have no idea how long I needed to leave it in for, but I'd guess at least another 30 minutes.  I'm calling this a failed bake, though I think I know how to proceed.  I either need to drop the temp and cook for longer (2-2.5 hrs at ~275 F) or in muffin pans for the original time (35 minutes @ 350 F).  1/2 point.

2 new recipes baked, 2 to go.

ReplyQuote
Sunshine Shooter
(@sunshine-shooter)
Engaged Member Author
2106 Brass
23/10/2019 11:03 am  

Update 4:

Weight is coming along.  I weighed in this morning at 185.2 lb, so I seem to be recovering from last weekend.  Black coffee and fasting seem to be a winning combination for me.  I have a 3-year-old's party this weekend, but other than that I see no big pitfalls looming in front of me.  I also see the end date coming up fast, so I can't afford to relax.

186.2 lb average, 6.2 lb to go

My cooking goal on the other hand, is doing good!  So good in fact, that I finished it last night!  The wife worked the 7pm-to-7am shift last night/this morning, so I was in charge of dinner.  I made a recipe I'd scoped out a while ago and it turned out good enough to get a full point towards my recipe goal.  After the kids were in bed I stayed up and decided to just go ahead and finish the goal, so I made a recipe of muffins as well.  They likewise turned out great, so put one more up on the board for me.  The muffins put me at four new recipes, fulfilling the requirements I put for myself.

4 new recipes baked, goal achieved.

I'll put pics of the food I made in this thread before the end of the month.  For verification purposes, and definitely not to make you all jealous.

ReplyQuote
Jerry
(@rto-jerry)
Engaged Member Community Founder
999 Brass
Challenges:
25/10/2019 8:43 am  

@sunshine-shooter

How often a week are you doing the intermittent fasting? I have witnessed the 16 hour intermittent working wonders on my oldest son. He whittled down to "fighting weight" of 190 in just a few short months.

I am not sure how i missed this challenge other than it has been insane busy at work the past 6 weeks and my internet time has been down considerable.

I am in a rut at 220 lbs with stated 2019 goal to get to 215. Time for big boy to buckle down and drop that last 5. Snap, I could have knocked that out in the October challenge.

ReplyQuote
Matt
 Matt
(@matt)
Practitioner Admin
10662 Brass
Challenges:
25/10/2019 11:52 am  

@rto-jerry

You still can! Remember, you can do a challenge at any time. 

just because I post one in a specific month doesn’t mean it has to be done that same month. Think if it like boy scout merit badges.

ReplyQuote
Sunshine Shooter
(@sunshine-shooter)
Engaged Member Author
2106 Brass
25/10/2019 3:31 pm  

@rto-jerry

I do intermittent fasting Monday through Thursday, though this month I've been trying to extend that through Friday and one day during the weekend.

ReplyQuote
Sunshine Shooter
(@sunshine-shooter)
Engaged Member Author
2106 Brass
28/10/2019 3:16 pm  

Food pics, as promised:

Cranberry & Chocolate Chip bread.  Maybe the most successful thing I made all month long.

Sweet Potato Bread.  Didn't get enough cook time, hence the rawness plainly visible in the center.  Technically failed, but I learned more about cooking in the process.

Cornbread Waffles & Chili.  I thought it turned out well, but I also love waffles and I also enjoy canned chili.  My toddler ate an entire waffle triangle herself a few days later, so I'm calling that an objective victory.

Bread Braid.  It's a giant baked sandwich, utilizing crescent roll dough braided on top of a prepared filling.  It was very good.

Banana-Berry Muffins.  These came out great.  Took them to work the next day (because I'm also working on a weight loss goal), and they were gone before lunch.

I'll have an update on my weight goal on Friday.  It's looking like it might be tight, but I'll give it the ol' college try.

ReplyQuote
Sunshine Shooter
(@sunshine-shooter)
Engaged Member Author
2106 Brass
31/10/2019 3:53 pm  

Final Update.

I didn't reach my weight goal.  My goal was to average 180.0 lb or less over a 3-day period or longer on or before Oct 31st.  Today is October 31st and my last three morning weigh-ins were 182.8, 183.2, and 179.6.  Those average out to 181.9 lb.

I will say that I have learned a lot about myself and how much hunger doesn't have to control my behaviors.  Just telling myself that I cannot eat at all for certain amounts of time has given me a new perspective.  I wish that I'd have only required a weigh-in at 180 or less, but I will admit that I tried harder the last few days than I would have if the goal was easier.  Like Matt said, "Easy goals will not motivate you the way that challenging ones will."

I also learned just how much a small change can really impact your performance.  The first 2 weeks of October, I was doing intermittent fasting Mon-Thur, taking the other 3 days off.  The last 2 weeks I've been doing IF 5 days a week and only taking the weekend off (and trying to eat much less than normal on weekends) and saw a marked improvement.  Now if only I had implemented that idea sooner...

Final Score:

1st goal achieved, 2nd goal failed.

ReplyQuote

Thank you for coming by The Everyday Marksman. This site and its community are a labor of love. I hope you stick around for a while, and maybe even join us.

-Matt

\\\ Participate

COPYRIGHT © The Everyday Marksman

Adventure Awaits

+ Newsletter
+ New Content Alerts
+ Deals and Sales

Subscribe now

Let's Stay Connected

We can't Wait to Show You More

Please Login or Register